Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 04:23 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
Wow. That's impressive!

Making a strong commitment to the gas pedal on corner exit is not easy. But it's fundamental to fast lap times. Your line coming out of the corner is the key. I would expect you'd want to take a slightly different line on some corners with the GT3 than the GT4 to do what's needed. Joe, I suggest you get the first of Adam Brouillard's "The Perfect Corner" books. He's not the best writer but he's really smart and he has some great tactics to improve one's driving. They are unlike any other books I've read on driving/racing technique.
No, no, no. I think you misunderstood what I meant. LOL. My best lap in the 3 is still faster by 2 seconds. I just meant that my actual driving on the 4 was better, not the actual lap time.
Thanks for the tip! Will look it up.

Originally Posted by vantage
How do driving lines differ between the GT3 and GT4? I would expect that generally the GT3 might benefit from slightly later apexing because "in theory" a rear engined car might have ever so slightly worse apex speeds but better exit traction. But in practice, not sure...
In practice, I drive the cars and the line about the same. I think a really good driver knows how to extract more by changing the line slightly.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:31 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
No, no, no. I think you misunderstood what I meant. LOL. My best lap in the 3 is still faster by 2 seconds. I just meant that my actual driving on the 4 was better, not the actual lap time.
Thanks for the tip! Will look it up.
Got it. LOL

[/QUOTE]In practice, I drive the cars and the line about the same. I think a really good driver knows how to extract more by changing the line slightly.[/QUOTE]

Assuming the 2 cars can go through the corner at the same speed, and they should, you want to choose a line out of the corner that allows you to put the power down ASAP. The GT3, with more power, might require a later apex in order to get back to full power right away. The bottom line here is that, no matter what platform you are driving, you want to figure out a line that will allow you to get on full gas from the apex out.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:38 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Got it. LOL

Assuming the 2 cars can go through the corner at the same speed, and they should, you want to choose a line out of the corner that allows you to put the power down ASAP. The GT3, with more power, might require a later apex in order to get back to full power right away. The bottom line here is that, no matter what platform you are driving, you want to figure out a line that will allow you to get on full gas from the apex out.
Yes! Just more scary when you have about 100 more hp! LOL!
Old 05-15-2017, 12:15 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,790 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I suggest you get the first of Adam Brouillard's "The Perfect Corner" books. He's not the best writer but he's really smart and he has some great tactics to improve one's driving. They are unlike any other books I've read on driving/racing technique.
+1 on reading these books. They've brought clarity to my driving and instructing, and have made me faster. Grasping the physics in these books isn't easy (feels like working through a college course rather than just "reading"), but I've found the content of the books to be consistent with what winning pro drivers are doing.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:14 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Got it. LOL
In practice, I drive the cars and the line about the same. I think a really good driver knows how to extract more by changing the line slightly.[/QUOTE]

Assuming the 2 cars can go through the corner at the same speed, .[/QUOTE]

I would not assume that
Old 05-15-2017, 04:38 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
I would not assume that
Same tires, prep, aero effect, and about the same weight to tire ratio (GT3 heavier, but slightly wider tires), physics says mid corner speeds should be almost the same. If they aren't, the driver just being more comfortable in one car over the other would be more likely than any other explanation. Static mid corner dynamics shouldn't be affected too much by the differing rear suspension designs.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:13 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Same tires, prep, aero effect, and about the same weight to tire ratio (GT3 heavier, but slightly wider tires), physics says mid corner speeds should be almost the same. If they aren't, the driver just being more comfortable in one car over the other would be more likely than any other explanation. Static mid corner dynamics shouldn't be affected too much by the differing rear suspension designs.
^^ Precisely!
Old 05-15-2017, 07:35 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Don't get too hung up on mid-corner speeds but look for the line that allows the earliest WOT. Depending on car dynamics you can take an earlier apex, add power, and keep the nose sliding around the apex curbs.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:08 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Agree with bill

When I am behind a well driven gt3 they hold me up in the corner and I can stay with them after exit or on short straights because I (can) commit to WOT earlier. Take a look at my latest fast laps behind the gt3 at wgi that I uploaded. Wgi is a real power track but I am able to really push the gt3 till he has to give me the pass. ( and me pushing him allowed me to set me fastest laps of the weekend; I love chasing GT3s)
Old 05-25-2017, 04:55 PM
Gem Mookherjea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry if this has been asked, but anyone here on DSC and Tarret Swift Coil Spring Upgrade?
Old 05-25-2017, 05:11 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gem Mookherjea
sorry if this has been asked, but anyone here on DSC and Tarret Swift Coil Spring Upgrade?
I was on both. Started with dsc and noticed less dive under braking. Added tarett springs and didn't notice much of a difference. Removed the dsc and didn't notice much of a difference. I would choose one or the other, not both.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:31 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I was on both. Started with dsc and noticed less dive under braking. Added tarett springs and didn't notice much of a difference. Removed the dsc and didn't notice much of a difference. I would choose one or the other, not both.
I read through the whole thread -- super useful stuff -- and I'm a new convert to the RE-71R camp as a result for example. Very impressed.

There's a quick follow up in my mind related to the above answer. I understand that the stiffer springs and DSC are equivalent for prevention of excessive dive under braking. Does your either/or suggestion mean you also believe that the two are equivalent as far as getting even tire wear are concerned as well??

I thought from reading through the thread to this point that the spring upgrade was starting to look like the best-known-method for getting more even tire wear but if DSC can deliver the same on that front it'd be a less intrusive mod which might be a pretty attractive option since it's near enough DIY and easily reversible.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:36 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ this i want to know - oem w DSC or swift spring upgrades - al purely for tire wear and controlling the car diving in
Old 05-30-2017, 06:02 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I don't know how much either helps with wear individually. I will say the neither was enough until I bumped my front camber up to -3.2.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:09 PM
roburado
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool thread! Glad to find it!

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings