Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 03:47 AM
stingray84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Joe, it was nice meeting you at TH last Friday. It was an absolute blast riding in your car for a few laps and truly understand what this car is capable of. The setup you've got felt really neutral and I plan to set mine up like that too. I'm surprised to see so much tire wear on your GT4 for just one track day though. There's more tread on mine after 4 track days at TH. Well, that's probably why I'm only doing 2:05 so far.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:36 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Thanks for the thread Joe. It was interesting reading your observations.
My fronts are almost done too just driving aggressively in the mountains.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:00 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by stingray84
Hey Joe, it was nice meeting you at TH last Friday. It was an absolute blast riding in your car for a few laps and truly understand what this car is capable of. The setup you've got felt really neutral and I plan to set mine up like that too. I'm surprised to see so much tire wear on your GT4 for just one track day though. There's more tread on mine after 4 track days at TH. Well, that's probably why I'm only doing 2:05 so far.
It was nice to meet you as well! It's crazy how much more you burn in consumables when driving only a few seconds faster. Driving slower isn't a good option, though. Lol
Old 03-30-2016, 11:09 AM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
And I thought orthojoe's estimate of 4 days on these tires was pessimistic!

As for flipping the tires on the rim, the Cup 2s have an asymmetric design and at least according to the Chris Harris review, the outside rubber is much softer than the inside (in fact the Cup 2s apparently have 3 different compounds compared to 2 on the PSS), so even if that extends tire life a bit without posing any safety/handling problems, my bet is that it wouldn't create a very satisfying experience.
I ran flipped at COTA before I corded out the front left. I was happy with the tires in that configuration

How the hell did I miss this thread start? I've got morning wood and it happened after I woke up! Thanks for setting this up Joe.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:46 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm not familiar with this track so I don't know what kind of loads are being placed on the tires, but the hot pressures being bantered about for the RE-71s sound too low. I run these 36-37 hot at Road America which seems to be the sweet spot for my M3 (I realize it's a different platform but still). Trying upping the pressure. Additional negative camber may be in order too.

With the suspension upgrades how is the car on the street? Any NVH increase or other things that make it less palatable to be driven daily?
Old 03-30-2016, 12:00 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
I'm not familiar with this track so I don't know what kind of loads are being placed on the tires, but the hot pressures being bantered about for the RE-71s sound too low. I run these 36-37 hot at Road America which seems to be the sweet spot for my M3 (I realize it's a different platform but still). Trying upping the pressure. Additional negative camber may be in order too.

With the suspension upgrades how is the car on the street? Any NVH increase or other things that make it less palatable to be driven daily?
I ran 37-38 hot on my M3 as well (which had AD08Rs) but when the Cup 2s on the GT4 hit those pressures the handling got noticeably worse. If memory serves, the rears hit that mark first, at which point my rear end wouldn't stay planted, and then my fronts hit that figure and I couldn't turn in at speed anymore. Bleeding air so that my hot pressures on track were no higher than 36 according to TPMS and my gauge read 34-35 in the paddock after a cooldown improved things dramatically.

Also curious about the impact of these suspension bits on road manners, although it sounds like Joe didn't spend much time on the road before installing them. I have the toe links and thrust arm bushings and haven't noticed any meaningful difference, but apparently the solid monoball ends are noticeable. On that note, I'd appreciate it if somebody could describe the "monoball difference" on both road and track, even if it's not on a GT4, since I've never experienced them.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:30 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

parts... parts... parts...
I could have sworn you said something about "I'll be keeping it stock".

Old 03-30-2016, 12:41 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Only comment I have in looked at the data above is that I would expect to see your corner entry and min speed higher in most cases in the GT4 once you get the hang of taking more speed into it and the understeer dialed out. The first thing I noticed in my data traces is that the GT4 was killing the .2 RS in entry and mid corner. GT3 needs to slow down more, take a later apex, and get back on throttle earlier than the GT4, and use the 911 dynamics and rear grip to rocket out.
You picked up on the same thing I saw when looking at the data traces. However, I noticed that the GT4 allows for faster entry speed, it looks like Joe is having to give-up mid corner (dropping speed) before getting back on the throttle. While it seems faster, it does looks to be a slower route. Maybe the car should stick with a slow in fast out approach? Its hard to tell just yet.

I wonder if the car gives Joe a misleading feel of strong turn-in grip, but then gives up half way through the turn (understeer). I couldn't really analyze the video, but when I have time I will give it a look. Either way I'm looking to see more data. Great stuff!
Old 03-30-2016, 02:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Also curious about the impact of these suspension bits on road manners, although it sounds like Joe didn't spend much time on the road before installing them. I have the toe links and thrust arm bushings and haven't noticed any meaningful difference, but apparently the solid monoball ends are noticeable. On that note, I'd appreciate it if somebody could describe the "monoball difference" on both road and track, even if it's not on a GT4, since I've never experienced them.
No affect on NVH with these components. If installed correctly, nothing should clunk or make noise. Noise is usally from something being loose. I drove without monoballs on the GT3 for quite some time and there was no difference in NVH after the monoball install

Originally Posted by ML///
You picked up on the same thing I saw when looking at the data traces. However, I noticed that the GT4 allows for faster entry speed, it looks like Joe is having to give-up mid corner (dropping speed) before getting back on the throttle. While it seems faster, it does looks to be a slower route. Maybe the car should stick with a slow in fast out approach? Its hard to tell just yet.

I wonder if the car gives Joe a misleading feel of strong turn-in grip, but then gives up half way through the turn (understeer). I couldn't really analyze the video, but when I have time I will give it a look. Either way I'm looking to see more data. Great stuff!
You could be right, but I don't think understeer was a real problem with this car/setup. More data and video to come after this weekend!
Old 03-30-2016, 02:41 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Ugh, just read your second long post about tire wear. That's not very encouraging at all considering I'm running a dual-purpose alignment with the front at -2.5 and 0 toe. I was hoping to get 6-7 track days out of a set of tires, especially with Manifold's post somewhere suggesting that data from lots of GT3 owners around the world says they might be good for that many. If I can only get 4 I too will have to rethink my track tire setup, especially since I'll also be putting a fair amount of road miles on my car between track days.
It sucks. I had the exact same alignment as yours and tire edges still went way faster than expected. I have now gone to -3/-2.5 and will see the next two weekends whether it works better, although I am skeptical as to how much difference a 1/2 degree will make. Will see. Good thing is that i drove the car all week on the street and even at -3 it does not bug me on the street at all.

I suspect that maybe the cup2's are inherently weak ito wear at the edge as I read somewhere they are softer there, which partly is why they stick so well. But I might be wrong. The other thing I need to look at is also adjust my driving style a bit towards less tire wear. For instance, on laps that I know I am slower as I blew a corner, had traffic etc, I need to learn to back off a bit the rest of the lap and save tires/brakes as there is no use thrashing them on those laps. I also have to avoid plowing some corners (bad habit of mine) as not only is it bad driving, it is definitely not helping on edge wear.

Wish we had more options on the 20's. It might just be a matter of time before I go 19's, simply for the better tire choices.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:13 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
No affect on NVH with these components. If installed correctly, nothing should clunk or make noise. Noise is usally from something being loose. I drove without monoballs on the GT3 for quite some time and there was no difference in NVH after the monoball install
That's good to hear. Seems like a win-win then.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:30 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Have about 200 miles on monoball ends here in the Northeast and they're great! Car feels a little more solid and some of the bumps on our crappy roads might be a little more pronounced but totally streetable. The real question will be how long they stay that way. Without dust boots monoball bearings can get rattley and noisy as road dirt gets in there and wears the bearings...
Old 03-30-2016, 03:31 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Subscribed! Thanks for all the info. Did you ever track the car with stock settings as a comparison?
Old 03-30-2016, 03:51 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by trebien
I could have sworn you said something about "I'll be keeping it stock".

Doesn't mean I'm not curious! I enjoy learning about things even if I never plan to use/encounter them myself. I said I'd be keeping my car mostly stock, i.e. except for brake fluid, (probably) pads, (possibly) rotors, the stud kits for the calipers and brake line brackets, the parts necessary for proper alignment, and maybe a Guard LSD if the stock one gives out.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:54 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by orthojoe
No affect on NVH with these components. If installed correctly, nothing should clunk or make noise. Noise is usally from something being loose. I drove without monoballs on the GT3 for quite some time and there was no difference in NVH after the monoball install.
So how significant a difference are monoballs on track, and in what regard? And if monoballs become wear items as more racecar-ish parts always seem to be relative to OEM, what type of replacement interval are we talking about here?

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings