Sponsored by: APR

Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 01:29 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Ugh, just read your second long post about tire wear. That's not very encouraging at all considering I'm running a dual-purpose alignment with the front at -2.5 and 0 toe. I was hoping to get 6-7 track days out of a set of tires, especially with Manifold's post somewhere suggesting that data from lots of GT3 owners around the world says they might be good for that many. If I can only get 4 I too will have to rethink my track tire setup, especially since I'll also be putting a fair amount of road miles on my car between track days.
Keep in mind that Joe is driving this thing HARD and FAST.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:31 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
It would be useful if you could flip the Cup2s to try to use up the inside rubber - has anyone tried that?

I remember hearing somewhere that the Cups have a different compound inside vs. outside, with the sticky stuff on the outside.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:31 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Tire wise, I would be surprised to get more than a solid 2 days out of fronts without over -3degrees in front if you are really flyin. The Cup2s seems to heat cycle badly, or wear the good rubber off on the outside of the fronts quickly, and then turn into garbage and start chunking. Rears will last at least twice as long. It would be useful if you could flip the Cup2s to try to use up the inside rubber - has anyone tried that?
And I thought orthojoe's estimate of 4 days on these tires was pessimistic!

As for flipping the tires on the rim, the Cup 2s have an asymmetric design and at least according to the Chris Harris review, the outside rubber is much softer than the inside (in fact the Cup 2s apparently have 3 different compounds compared to 2 on the PSS), so even if that extends tire life a bit without posing any safety/handling problems, my bet is that it wouldn't create a very satisfying experience.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:38 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
And I thought orthojoe's estimate of 4 days on these tires was pessimistic!

As for flipping the tires on the rim, the Cup 2s have an asymmetric design and at least according to the Chris Harris review, the outside rubber is much softer than the inside (in fact the Cup 2s apparently have 3 different compounds compared to 2 on the PSS), so even if that extends tire life a bit without posing any safety/handling problems, my bet is that it wouldn't create a very satisfying experience.
The good news is that you are just buying new fronts. The rears are fine. Expect a 2:1 ratio of F/R - as crazy as that sounds.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:40 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Wow, I was asleep when this thread exploded! Car looks awesome and familiar!

Only comment I have in looked at the data above is that I would expect to see your corner entry and min speed higher in most cases in the GT4 once you get the hang of taking more speed into it and the understeer dialed out. The first thing I noticed in my data traces is that the GT4 was killing the .2 RS in entry and mid corner. GT3 needs to slow down more, take a later apex, and get back on throttle earlier than the GT4, and use the 911 dynamics and rear grip to rocket out.

Tire wise, I would be surprised to get more than a solid 2 days out of fronts without over -3degrees in front if you are really flyin. The Cup2s seems to heat cycle badly, or wear the good rubber off on the outside of the fronts quickly, and then turn into garbage and start chunking. Rears will last at least twice as long. It would be useful if you could flip the Cup2s to try to use up the inside rubber - has anyone tried that?

Thanks for chiming in, man. That will be my goal. Maybe i'm just used to the GT3 entry speeds at this point and need to adjust. Tire wear on the left side looked fairly even. The right side got killed because it's a CCW track. I am worried that the tires will only be good for fast laps for 2 days, though. Have you had any issues with swapping out the front tires and leaving the rears on? No problems with the rears heat cycling out and getting loads of oversteer?

Originally Posted by Mech33
Keep in mind that Joe is driving this thing HARD and FAST.
That's what she said? LOL.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:01 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know the track. But it looks like the only place you made time against the GT3 was in turn 13?. There it appears you carried your speed deeper and longer into the corner. Exactly what Shake N Bake was suggesting.

Joe, are you driving your car to and from the track, or trailering? Just wondering why you're not on 19's with R compounds. Between the number of track days you do and your speed and skill on track, I'm surprised you're sticking with 20's and Cup 2's.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:03 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks for chiming in, man. That will be my goal. Maybe i'm just used to the GT3 entry speeds at this point and need to adjust. Tire wear on the left side looked fairly even. The right side got killed because it's a CCW track. I am worried that the tires will only be good for fast laps for 2 days, though. Have you had any issues with swapping out the front tires and leaving the rears on? No problems with the rears heat cycling out and getting loads of oversteer?
Good question - I'm on my second set of fronts to the original rears on the 20" cup2s. I would know the answer for sure by now, but moved to hohos (3rd set now).

I guess I can say this - the car is much more fun when it's tail happy than when it pushes - so while the rears might not (I think they should....but...) last as long as the second set of fronts, you will have a smile on your face rather than furled brow
Old 03-30-2016, 02:08 AM
ccibo72
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is invaluable. Thanks for taking the time to write everything up.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:10 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
I don't know the track. But it looks like the only place you made time against the GT3 was in turn 13?. There it appears you carried your speed deeper and longer into the corner. Exactly what Shake N Bake was suggesting.

Joe, are you driving your car to and from the track, or trailering? Just wondering why you're not on 19's with R compounds. Between the number of track days you do and your speed and skill on track, I'm surprised you're sticking with 20's and Cup 2's.
If you mean T14, you are correct that is the only corner where I take a decent amount of time away. However, it also may be because I braked too early with the GT3. I'd have to do some more overlays to know for, but I do think you guys are right. Maybe I'll be faster if I stop driving the car like a GT3. LOL

I'm driving to and from the track. I don't want to cross into the world of trailering. My hesitation in moving to 19" wheels and running re-71r is because the cost of a good set of 19" wheels will take a lot of 20" tire purchases to cover the cost and rumors of OEM sized 20" re-71r coming soon have me on 'stand by' for now.

Good question - I'm on my second set of fronts to the original rears on the 20" cup2s. I would know the answer for sure by now, but moved to hohos (3rd set now).

I guess I can say this - the car is much more fun when it's tail happy than when it pushes - so while the rears might not (I think they should....but...) last as long as the second set of fronts, you will have a smile on your face rather than furled brow
Thanks, man. I guess I'll have to try for myself!
Old 03-30-2016, 02:18 AM
Martini racer
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

i couldn't tell what car were you chasing but whatever it was had a straight line speed. he was putting lots of distance on straights.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:21 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Martini racer
i couldn't tell what car were you chasing but whatever it was had a straight line speed. he was putting lots of distance on straights.
That would have been a 991 GT3 RS. I couldn't reel him in.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:22 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

That would have been a 991 GT3 RS. I couldn't reel him in.
130 extra HP will do that
Old 03-30-2016, 02:49 AM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

130 extra HP will do that
Paging TPC...
Old 03-30-2016, 02:59 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by doborder
I will be an occasional contributor to the thread
I'm currently working on a write up for the 981 GT4 GPS PSE solution that I adapted from Mech33... Hold on as I'm still in testing phase!
Ditto

Congrats Joe looks awesome
Very happy for you
Subscribed
Old 03-30-2016, 03:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

great thread!!!
about the sound vs. GT3, i just watched the video you sent on Ben and I. all you need is take out your mufflers and cat... sounds great hahahaha

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings