Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Lightweight Battery Options - - GB?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 03:08 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Lightweight Battery Options - - GB?

For those interested in finding ways to "add lightness," going to a lighter battery is an easy, if not necessarily cheap, way to go. A few posts have mentioned Deka, Braille, and Shorai, but I haven't seen anything definitive regarding models and weight savings over the battery that comes with the car.

A throw out the idea of a group buy because perhaps there are enough people interested to make such a thing happen. I realize there are numerous factors that matter to people in this decision, including climate, fitment, and whether the car is a daily, weekend, or track car. But let's start the conversation and if things progress in a positive manner, I may be willing to lead or assist with the GB.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:08 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Reserved for updates.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:45 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I would be interested in a light weight battery. But - need an education. Live in Chicago so we have cold weather and do not know if that is a factor. So- my thoughts were to get a light weight battery and store the OEM but replace OEM every Oct/Nov when weather gets colder and then I store Dec- April. Need to understand if this light weight battery always needs to be on a trickle charger(while in car) because some times could be 2 weeks between drives. And then, do I need to keep the OEM battery on a charge when it is not in the car 8 months per year
Old 03-27-2016, 04:46 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

I have the braille i48CE, it's almost two years old now and going strong. It's plug and play, no mounts needed, etc.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:14 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Do you have to keep it on a trickle charger? How is it in cold weather? What did you do with OEM battery? What is the weight savings?
Old 03-27-2016, 05:52 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Do you have to keep it on a trickle charger? How is it in cold weather? What did you do with OEM battery? What is the weight savings?
About 25lbs savings. If I'm not going to drive the car for a couple weeks, I put it on a trickle charger. OEM battery is in the attic. No idea about cold weather....in Texas. That's a good question for Braille.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9070...read-mill.html

Quick Reply: Lightweight Battery Options - - GB?