Sponsored by: APR

Best 19’ Wheel & Tire Set-up for Road

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 01:38 AM
2WheelsRBetter
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best 19’ Wheel & Tire Set-up for Road

My GT4 is estimated to arrive at the dealership on April 22. It just passed through the Panama Canal and is underway to San Diego as I write. Many of you have made very informative posts about wheel and tire combos under 20”, but discussions have primarily been about optimal track set-ups. Alas, I won’t have access to a real track, so I’m looking forward to capturing the essence of the “EVO Car of the Year” by enjoying my new beauty on as many back roads as I can. My car will be delivered with Dunlop tires. While I love the look of the 20s on the car, I’m thinking that a 19” wheel and tire set-up may be better suited for the cooler climate and roads that lean toward the rougher side here where I live. First, do you agree? Second, if yes, this is my first Porsche. As a newbie, aside from OEM Porsche wheels, what brands of wheels are best suited to the Porsche brand? For a high performance, high quality tire on cooler road surfaces, am I looking at Michelin Pilot Super Sports, or do I go with something like the Dunlops it’s shipping with (except in a 19” size) or MPSC2s? I’ve read that MPSC2s aren’t well suited for temperatures under 45 degrees Farenheit. My spring through fall temperatures will be mostly in the low 50s to mid 70s. Finally, what are the best wheel and tire size combinations in 19" sizes for this car on the road? Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,494 Likes on 2,274 Posts

BBS
forgeline
finspeed
Old 03-19-2016, 09:41 AM
focal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best valued play would be to get PSS on the 20" and store/sell the cup tires.

No need to drop to 19" with the added cost of another set of wheels of equal quality. PASM and the softer tire will be enough compliance.

Personally I thought like you but I am going to a few DE days and when the cups wear out to replace with PSS since road use is 99% of the car for me. Try to get out to one or two DE days to experience the car and then relegate it to road duties. Otherwise, why buy a GT car?
Old 03-19-2016, 12:06 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WheelsRBetter
My GT4 is estimated to arrive at the dealership on April 22. It just passed through the Panama Canal and is underway to San Diego as I write.
Congrats! It's tough waiting!

While I love the look of the 20s on the car, I’m thinking that a 19” wheel and tire set-up may be better suited for the cooler climate and roads that lean toward the rougher side here where I live. First, do you agree?
The factory setup is quite compliant (I have Dunlops). I don't know how Porsche has done it, but the ride is very comfortable, more so than my 996 Turbo w/ 18s and several other cars I've owned. You should drive the car a bit and come to your own conclusions, but I wouldn't assume you need to go to 19s.

For a high performance, high quality tire on cooler road surfaces, am I looking at Michelin Pilot Super Sports, or do I go with something like the Dunlops it’s shipping with (except in a 19” size) or MPSC2s? I’ve read that MPSC2s aren’t well suited for temperatures under 45 degrees Farenheit. My spring through fall temperatures will be mostly in the low 50s to mid 70s. Finally, what are the best wheel and tire size combinations in 19" sizes for this car on the road? Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
As focal suggested, if you aren't going to track the car and some of your use will be in cool weather and you're looking for the best value. Go Michelin PSS. They are an excellent tire and come in the factory 20" sizes. You could swap them out right after delivery and sell the Dunlops or you could wait until the Dunlops wear out and swap over. Would be sort of pointless to just take the Dunlops off and then let them dry rot in the garage, so if you're not going to sell I wouldn't bother, just use them up and go PSS second time around.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:59 PM
2WheelsRBetter
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
BBS
forgeline
finspeed
Thanks much for your reply. I've always loved BBS for my prior German cars and I've followed the Forgeline threads very closely here on Rennlist. Will do some research on Finspeed. If I go aftermarket wheels I want quality and one of these will likely end up on my cold weather set-up, should I decide to go that route.

Originally Posted by focal
The best valued play would be to get PSS on the 20" and store/sell the cup tires.

No need to drop to 19" with the added cost of another set of wheels of equal quality. PASM and the softer tire will be enough compliance.

Personally I thought like you but I am going to a few DE days and when the cups wear out to replace with PSS since road use is 99% of the car for me. Try to get out to one or two DE days to experience the car and then relegate it to road duties. Otherwise, why buy a GT car?
I appreciate this feedback, especially since you've had similar thoughts and hands-on experience with the GT4. As for "why...GT?", believe me if I had ready access to tracks I'd be there! It seemed like the best of both worlds with 911 power and mid-engine balance, not to mention the suspension upgrades. Then I saw EVO's assessment of the GT4 as a "drivers car" on open roads, and was smitten. I simply had to have it and lucked into an allocation!

Originally Posted by Smoltz
The factory setup is quite compliant (I have Dunlops). I don't know how Porsche has done it, but the ride is very comfortable, more so than my 996 Turbo w/ 18s and several other cars I've owned. You should drive the car a bit and come to your own conclusions, but I wouldn't assume you need to go to 19s.

As focal suggested, if you aren't going to track the car and some of your use will be in cool weather and you're looking for the best value. Go Michelin PSS. They are an excellent tire and come in the factory 20" sizes. You could swap them out right after delivery and sell the Dunlops or you could wait until the Dunlops wear out and swap over. Would be sort of pointless to just take the Dunlops off and then let them dry rot in the garage, so if you're not going to sell I wouldn't bother, just use them up and go PSS second time around.
Again, excellent advice. I really appreciate it and will drive the Dunlops while getting familiar with the car, and switch to PSS when the time comes.

I really appreciate you guys' replies. If I go do with a set of 19s, it'll be for a strictly cold-weather set up, although I'm as yet undecided about whether this car will see the white flakey stuff.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:07 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The factory setup is surprisingly compliant. The GT4 is more compliant than my stock Civic Si, S2000 and even the 981 Spyder. Keep in mind the Civic uses 215/45 tires and the S2000 225/50. The PASM and Porsche suspension tuning magic is the key.

Having gone from MPSC2 to MPSS, the noise and compliance is barely noticeable - the most noticeable difference is the feel/grip on the ramps.

If you are concerned about driving under 45F, which was my situation when I got the car in October in the PNW, then something like the MPSS would be better than the OEM Dunlops or Michelins - but the question is how much will you really drive it in the winter or inclement weather? I use the GT4 as my rain car so the MPSS are great for that.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:26 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 98 Posts

245-40-19 and 295-35-19. MPSS tires add even more compliance. For a street only car if you want to go to 19", they are great. No point in buying sport cup 2 for street only use for a second set of tires, imo.

Get any 19" wheel that looks good to you. Plenty options.

Quick Reply: Best 19’ Wheel & Tire Set-up for Road