Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Cobb Tuning- Clarification and Updates!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 05:52 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
No problem! We actually have a decent collection of Porsche dynos already in our dyno database but no GT4s yet, I'll be sure we get those added ASAP next week.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/dyno-database/

~Jared
We also have more tables defined and better control of ECU logic than any of our competitors.

and
We can also read the ECU out which no other tuner can do at the moment through the OBD port.

big claims esp when you then state

but no GT4s yet on the dyno lol

esp when Jens has been modding the GT4 for a while and has a load of custom tunes for the GT4 and dyno runs.

Why big up claims, better to just post results and let them do the talking, as bull**** remarks do my head in on this forum by all the Sponsers !!!
Old 03-19-2016, 01:55 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 214 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029
Cobb is the crème de la crème of the tuning world. When Cobb reaches a platform it changes the game in empowering both the tuners and the users. The company gives unprecedented accessibility to the ECU for many protuners across the world to make a customized, tailored map for your car that takes into account mods and atmospheric elevation, etc. Additionally the user has the ability to monitor in real time a multitude of engine parameters (knock) so you can see how your tune is doing every time you drive the car (93 octane variation) and easy reflashes to change maps on the fly. No more shipping your ECU off to some dude in Europe to get it chipped or using exclusive tuning software that ONLY the manufacturer of that software can tune (GIAC, EvoMS).
That is on me should you ever make it to Austin, couldn't have said it better myself.

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
We also have more tables defined and better control of ECU logic than any of our competitors.

and
We can also read the ECU out which no other tuner can do at the moment through the OBD port.

big claims esp when you then state

but no GT4s yet on the dyno lol

esp when Jens has been modding the GT4 for a while and has a load of custom tunes for the GT4 and dyno runs.

Why big up claims, better to just post results and let them do the talking, as bull**** remarks do my head in on this forum by all the Sponsers !!!
Well happy Saturday morning to you as well, these are always the kinds of posts I like to wake up to...

So I apologize for your confusion, I sometimes assume that people have more of a grasp of COBB and tuning in general than they do so I make leaps of knowledge based on those assumptions and these types of situations arise. Again, my fault, and I'll back the train up for you a bit.

Every single one of the performance calibrations (or maps) for the GT4 on the Accessport have been created on a car, on a dyno. This includes Stage 1 91, Stage 1 93, Stage 1 100 in addition to 2 non performance maps (valet mode, anti-theft mode). When you plug your Accessport into the OBDII port in your GT4, turn the ignition to the run position, click "Install" on the Accessport, you'll see your ROM and vehicle identification and then those 5 maps to choose from.

Dyno results for all 3 of those performance maps are readily available in the map notes here:

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wik...1+NA+Map+Notes

You'll notice, we don't list specific horsepower or tq gains. Why you ask? Because they're essentially useless. 400whp on an AWD MAHA dyno in Germany isn't the same as 400whp on a Dynapack in Florida, instead, we supply expected percentage gains. Why? Because that delta will be repeatable on any dyno, whether your particular car baselines at 350whp on a Mustang or 380whp on a Dynojet. Same car, same day, same fuel, run the car on the stock tune, flash the AP map of your choice, run the car again. Done- there's us backing up our "big claims and posting results".

Now, on to why the GT4 dynos aren't specifically listed in the dyno database I linked to earlier. The dyno database on our website is reserved for vehicles that have been on one of our four in house dynos.

Again, I assume people know some basics about us but I'll cover this for those that do not. We are headquartered in Austin, TX and it is our primary R&D location for most of our platform support. Originally we had 4 of the first Mustang AWD dynos (I believe serial numbers 001,002, 004 and 005 but please don't quote me on that because I haven't physically confirmed it for you) but we've recently replaced the AWD Mustang dyno in Austin with a Dynojet. Due to that, expect to see some slightly different numbers for cars listed as having been dyno'd in Austin recently because, as I touched upon earlier, all dynos read differently, even the exact same models from the exact same company. Also, if you take some time to look through the dyno database, you'll be able to match up dyno graphs from the map notes to their originals in the dyno database (Cayman GTS for example) where the actual WHP/WTQ are displayed. Look! Results! In Public! For you to see! Our other 3 dynos remain Mustangs and are located at our retail locations in Plano, TX, Fountain Valley, CA, and Portland, OR. When I say retail locations- these are full service shops able to perform everything from routine oil changes to full motor builds. They're generally booked several weeks in advanced for ProTuning (custom maps made via an Accessport and AccessTuner software of your car, on the dyno) so their dynos are running almost non-stop. We also use the retail facilities as extended R&D facilities for map development, RE work, and hard parts testing/development, which gives us the ability to test our maps/systems in various climates, with various fuel options, at various elevations. We also have remote employees in Utah, Arizona, New York who will at times also have vehicles with them for various testing.

Anyway- back to the actual answer to your question now that we're armed with that wealth of knowledge. Dyno time is limited and access to vehicles is limited. I assure you, we'd LOVE to buy every single Porsche we support and keep them in house but the reality is many of the cars are loaned to us. Sometimes for a few months, sometimes for a few days. The GT4 maps were developed on a privately owned GT4 on loan to us in SoCal. Unfortunately, the COBB SoCal dyno was fully booked and so we used another dyno from one of our many ProTuners and the maps were developed there, thus why those results are not in the dyno database. Next week's testing, again, on a privately owned GT4 being graciously loaned to us, will be done in house in Austin which is why I mentioned those results will soon be in the dyno database.

As for "...modding the GT4 for a while and has a load of custom tunes..." the GT4 was supported with our initial Accessport release in November; testing and map development was obviously completed before that. Couple that with the myriad selection of COBB ProTuners who are testing and creating custom maps every single day on their dynos, on actual customer cars, I'm confident in assuring you COBB has done tons of development/testing on the 981 platform and the GT4 specifically. The development continues daily and will include, hopefully as soon as this week, support for the GT4 ClubSport as well. The guys spent the week testing with several IMSA teams in Sebring on both the 987.2 and 981 platforms and we'll be continuing that development and support for the entire IMSA Continental Tire season.

Think that just about covers the background/basics but if anyone has any additional questions, just let me know!

~Jared

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

The following users liked this post:
Diamond Dave (06-14-2021)
Old 03-19-2016, 02:06 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here is another car we just had on the dyno some of you might recognize it. This is John from BGB's X51 GT4 that we have have been tuning using the AP. Lots of dyno info on this car.

-Mitch
Old 03-19-2016, 02:13 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ML///
Can I ask for you to elaborate a bit more on your IMSA testing? What car(s) and what were you testing? I know the cars were testing different electronics - new motec system but only a few (3) teams are running GT4s, of which I don't think many were at testing.

Also as it relates to your maps, these maps are a simple plug n'play solution, but do they need to be configured based on what modifications have happened to the car? For example I understand headers can require a tune, but will your standard maps be okay for this or will it require a custom map?
We are now able to do the Clubsport Cayman's as well as the ST class Caymans. The 2.9L stuff we have been testing and verified this past weekend while at Sebring. We already have teams switching from previous tunes to the AP as we can datalog run time on track and when they come back we can adjust the file to make sure it is doing the best it possibly can, and then send them back out with a new calibration.

We are series sponsors so we attend every race to make sure that our customers are well supported if they have any questions. This also helps to show how robust our product is as our calibrations are tested on dynos and then run for long sessions to make sure they not only make power, but that it is relaible as well. We do this with basically every Porsche OTS map we make in one way or another. In 997.2 Turbo in testing we took the car to Laguna and won the Optima Challenge, in the 991 Turbo we tested at Pikes Peak and the car won the class and set the record. We don't just make a file in an hour and send it off and hope for the best. We test and test and test until we know that it will be as safe and powerful as can be.

As for the maps we are just finishing up our maps for cars with headers and should have them out here in the next couple of weeks!

I hope that helps if anyone has any other questions please let me know!

Also have a good weekend!

mitch.mckee@cobbtuning.com

-Mitch
Old 03-19-2016, 02:50 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 278 Posts

mrd_spy hates DeMan, BGB, and Cobb, his incredulity is borderline schizo
Old 03-19-2016, 03:05 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by user1029
mrd_spy hates DeMan, BGB, and Cobb, his incredulity is borderline schizo
I figured as much, but it gave me a chance to post some good info for others that may not realize how COBB works.

And I assure you, he has nothing on some of the APR Fanbois over on VWVortex. Talk about making heads explode- going to be an interesting Tuesday for those guys this week.

~Jared
Old 03-19-2016, 04:08 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

I, and I am sure others' appreciate the info you have posted
The following users liked this post:
Diamond Dave (06-14-2021)
Old 03-19-2016, 04:34 PM
Okwute
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say I did learn a lot reading through Cobbs clarifications. Thank you for taking the time to back the train up and shed more light for newbies like us.

I am a newbie to all this and if I do muster the courage to jump on the mod wagon for my GT4, Cobb definitely is on my radar. Hopefully you have local tuners in the Detroit area.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:00 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Jared, That post was incredibly valuable... Even though you had to create it from a place of frustration, the value-added for the rest of us was very high.

Thank you for "backing up the train."
Old 03-19-2016, 10:07 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Okwute
I have to say I did learn a lot reading through Cobbs clarifications. Thank you for taking the time to back the train up and shed more light for newbies like us.

I am a newbie to all this and if I do muster the courage to jump on the mod wagon for my GT4, Cobb definitely is on my radar. Hopefully you have local tuners in the Detroit area.
Originally Posted by CAlexio
Jared, That post was incredibly valuable... Even though you had to create it from a place of frustration, the value-added for the rest of us was very high.

Thank you for "backing up the train."

No problem at all guys. Happy to answer any and all questions and help clear up any confusion there may be.

Couple of other base line questions some people have asked but I'll put here in the post as well:

Does the Accessport need to remain plugged in?

No- the Accessport does not have to remain plugged in once installed on the vehicle for the tune to remain on the ECU. Once you install the Accessport, you can choose to simply unplug it and put it away until you need to uninstall for a service visit, or travel across country where a different fuel is available, etc. However, leaving the Accessport connected gives you the ability to live monitor via the gauges feature up to 6 different parameters such as AFR, timing corrections, various temperatures, etc. For a full list of Porsche monitors, check out our page here:

https://cobb.app.box.com/porsche-tuner-monitors

Can the Accessport be uninstalled and sold?

Yes, the Accessport can be uninstalled from one vehicle and the installed on another supported vehicle, as many times as you'd like. The software license transfers from the Accessport to the ECU when the installation occurs and transfers back to the Accessport when you uninstall. One thing to note- an Accessport can only be installed on one vehicle at a time so if you have multiple vehicles you'd like to have Accessports on, each will need it's own physical unit.

What is a ProTune or Custom map?

The Accessport comes preloaded with our OTS (Off The Shelf) maps which I talked about a few posts ago. Those maps are designed for certain fuels and parts combinations and work great for the vast majority of owners/users. The maps are intentionally designed to be somewhat conservative to retain maximum reliability while still providing excellent power and driving improvements. ProTuning and custom maps come into play when you choose to install parts on your vehicle we may not support with our OTS maps. As much as we'd love to provide specific maps for every part/combination on the planet, it's literally impossible. Instead, we have our vast network of ProTuners who have trained, gone to school, and specialize in creating customized maps for those infinite combination of parts. Instead of still being stuck with various versions of "canned" tunes that are not actually tuned to your specific car, the Accessport, teamed with a ProTuner and our tuning software, AccessTuner Pro, allows you to actually watch your car make more power as the tuning process happens on the dyno.

The Accessport and AccessTuner combination truly is a game changing tuning solution for the Porsche platform, and that's not marketing speak. It's just reality. Until now, short of a stand alone ECU, most Porsche customers have had no option of true ECU tuning. Actually accessing the ECU tables that control timing, fueling, etc and adjusting them as needed. People coming from other platforms where true full ECU tuning solutions are available to th end user, such as Subaru, GTR, Supra, etc, are generally stunned by the lack of accessibility to these ECUs. We're changing that perception one Porsche platform at a time, from 997 Turbos, to the 997 GT3s, to the 991 Turbos, and now the 981/991 platform.

The flexibility of the Accessport is also game changing. It really is completely user friendly and as simple as plugging it in and hitting install (JUST DON'T FORGET THE BATTERY CHARGER ) for the guys who want simple, easy, and just a straight OTS map to make some good power gains and improved driveability. On the other hand, it also gives the guys who want to do stroker kits, X51 packages, and soon forced induction kits the ability to properly tune the factory ECU to handle those mods. No piggybacks, no standalones, no cracking open the ECU. All right through your OBDII port, from the Accessport and a lap top. It's true and complete ECU tuning with the ability to adjust to your needs.

Plus- we're here listening to you and your input. We take our reputation for world class customer service very seriously and we truly want to make every customer satisfied every time. We may not achieve that goal each and every time but we certainly try and make it happen. So, keep the questions/requests coming, we're definitely taking notes and here to help in any way we can.

~Jared
Old 03-21-2016, 02:22 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a n00b to the tuning/ECU flash scene. Could you help me understand a couple basic things? (I think #2 and #3 were mostly answered in your last post, but just to be sure...)

1. So you are able to add power to even a completely unmodified GT4? From what I gathered above, you weren't able to dyno a GT4 post-flash yet, so I'm guessing you don't have any information on exactly how much power (percentage-wise) that would be right now?

2. In order to apply that flash, I'm guessing I need to buy the AccessPort device? This one in particular I assume?
http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/a...-accessport-v3

(I'm guessing it's no coincidence that the prices of those devices are proportional to the price of the cars they are built for, heh.)

3. Once I flash the ECU, is it possible to return to stock in such a manner that the factory warranty could remain in tact? Or do you otherwise provide your own warranty?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 03-21-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:16 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I'm a n00b to the tuning/ECU flash scene. Could you help me understand a couple basic things? (I think #2 and #3 were mostly answered in your last post, but just to be sure...)

1. So you are able to add power to even a completely unmodified GT4? From what I gathered above, you weren't able to dyno a GT4 post-flash yet, so I'm guessing you don't have any information on exactly how much power (percentage-wise) that would be right now?

2. In order to apply that flash, I'm guessing I need to buy the AccessPort device? This one in particular I assume?
http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/a...-accessport-v3

(I'm guessing it's no coincidence that the prices of those devices are proportional to the price of the cars they are built for, heh.)

3. Once I flash the ECU, is it possible to return to stock in such a manner that the factory warranty could remain in tact? Or do you otherwise provide your own warranty?

Thanks in advance.

We've dyno'd the GT4 extensively, just not at one of our official COBB locations. The dyno graphs for the OTS Stage 1, which are designed for bone stock vehicles, are located in the map notes here:

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wik...1+NA+Map+Notes

Here is the actual dyno graph:

The gains are pretty significant at just Stage 1, no other modifications:

Typical Stage1 vs Stock Power:

Cayman GT4 3.8L

Peak Gains Max Gains
Stage1 91
+2.49% HP, +1.28% TQ +7.77% HP, +7.43% TQ
Stage1 93
+4.70% HP, +2.56% TQ +9.71% HP, +9.50% TQ

Yes, you need to purchase the AP3-POR-007 Accessport, that is the correct application for the GT4 and all other 981 vehicles along with all 991 NA vehicles (except the GT3 and GT3RS)

Yes, you can return your ECU to stock by simply choosing the "Uninstall" option from the Accessport main menu. This will reinstall your stored factory ROM information to your ECU and revert your ECU back to 100% stock. In our experience, the dealership is not able to tell if the ECU has been flashed. However, with that said, the AP is not designed to go around any kind of warranty coverage and there may be diagnostics at a much higher level we are unaware of. At the end of the day, it really comes down to how your local dealer handles modifications to the car: some don't mind a few mods and others don't like any.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

~Jared
Old 03-21-2016, 11:38 PM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your openness is appreciated. In business putting things out in the open, I believe sells more than marketing schemes. With that said when is the group buy.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:26 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently removed my stage 1 install for a few days and was super surprised with the difference I could feel in the car's responsiveness and "kick" without it. It was immediately very apparent. When I first installed it I thought I could feel something, but was afraid to just jump to conclusions due to potential for placebo effect. Once I put it back on the car, it was right back to where it needs to be - much smoother, more responsive and better pull. With stage 1 it is not earth shattering, of course, yet very noticeable. It's funny how you sometimes notice something better once it is gone rather than when you get it.

I can only imagine the difference it would be with headers, air filters and a proper tune. I just cannot justify the cost per hp for doing that.

Overall I am super happy with the stage 1 for the $'s paid and the convenience that the Accessport offers you.

What I like MOST by far is that when my buddies askme how much hp the car has I can now in good conscience answer "400!" and not feel guilty about it. 400 sounds so much better than 385...lol
Old 03-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 200 Posts

Jared, when I pick up my GT4 on April 1ish and quickly put 1k miles on it, I am coming to see you in Austin for a Stage 1.

Quick Reply: Cobb Tuning- Clarification and Updates!!!