Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 12:00 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
just drive it.
^this

Plus I am a sentimental person so I get attach to things beyond their face value which is why I'm never selling my car. It does predispose me to become a hoarder or a cat lady (if I were the opposite gender) so I try to temper it
Old 03-10-2016, 12:05 PM
Uncle Jed
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2fnquik
Buying cars for their future valuation seems like a losing proposition. There are much better ways to make money.
True.

Last edited by Uncle Jed; 03-11-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:16 PM
9001rpm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buying cars for their future valuation seems like a losing proposition. There are much better ways to make money.
Generally speaking I agree.

However some recent examples come to mind .

Anyone who leveraged the snot out of a new GT3RS and turned around and flipped for ~50k (or more) made out with a monster ROI lol. I am not even going to mention any of the big 3 hyper cars. Getting a LaFerrai allocation was like winning a small lotto . The list could continue.

As I said, generally speaking, I do agree though.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:27 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Couldn't agree more with that ...,
Old 03-10-2016, 12:43 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Hello Bardman,

My situation was unique, looking to free up some finances for pending real estate deal. In US, we don't have luxury tax, or duties. The only expenses would be a couple hundred dollars in title fees and sales tax. Sales taxes are eliminated by receiving a credit for structuring the existing car as a "courtesy trade" with the dealer. So, if you sell an existing car for MSRP, you can get a new one for approximately the same cost.

That plan only works if you can actually get a new one!
Slightly off topic but I wanted to point out that this scenario that Matt is describing is not universal in the United States. California, for example, does not provide for ANY sales tax credit for trading in or selling a car. You pay taxes out the wazoo and every which way to Sunday here. Plus, our registration is actually a tax in that it's tied to the value of the car. So registering a $1,000 jalopy is far different than registering a $100,000 car... and that's every year. I always laugh/cry when I am told what my family in NY and VA pay to register their cars. I love CA! At least our state finances are in good order... oh, wait.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:22 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Slightly off topic but I wanted to point out that this scenario that Matt is describing is not universal in the United States. California, for example, does not provide for ANY sales tax credit for trading in or selling a car. You pay taxes out the wazoo and every which way to Sunday here. Plus, our registration is actually a tax in that it's tied to the value of the car. So registering a $1,000 jalopy is far different than registering a $100,000 car... and that's every year. I always laugh/cry when I am told what my family in NY and VA pay to register their cars. I love CA! At least our state finances are in good order... oh, wait.
I was just going to post this when work happened. Pretty much spot on, but hey...we have high speed rail and great weather
Old 03-10-2016, 02:56 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Somewhat agree - there will always be 'better ways' to make money, but to me key is - as is generally in life - is to have a nice balance (or in financial speak - diversification). Optimum asset mix should include some combination of financial investments, hard assets, real estate, collectibles (e.g. fine art, auto, etc.)

But I agree if the point is that if one looks at cars as the sole way to make money, it is not an optimal strategy... Though last several years would prove this wrong, any aircooled purchase has brought above-and-beyond returns...
Old 03-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Same here (family in NYC ) they base there reg tax on the weight of the car not the value like this commie state ... Love the weather Hate the fiscal and political joke this state is ..
Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Somewhat agree - there will always be 'better ways' to make money, but to me key is - as is generally in life - is to have a nice balance (or in financial speak - diversification). Optimum asset mix should include some combination of financial investments, hard assets, real estate, collectibles (e.g. fine art, auto, etc.)

But I agree if the point is that if one looks at cars as the sole way to make money, it is not an optimal strategy... Though last several years would prove this wrong, any aircooled purchase has brought above-and-beyond returns...
Cant argue with anything you stated !!
Old 03-11-2016, 09:15 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
agreed with all of this! Although the GT4 is still a steal where one can have a heck of a track car with the right seats and warranty for under 90k. I can only assume a base .2GT3 will msrp around 140-145 before any options and the price disparity alone will soften the price decline.
I think you might see a bigger bump than that for the .2 GT3 - with the market as crazy as it is - I see no reason why Porsche would not take some of that and start the next model in the mid $150k range. Especially given the GT3 RS was $171k and sold well over - so they can push the GT3/RS closer to $200k

Hope not, but would not surprise me. The .1 GT3 was a real value as is the GT4!
Old 03-11-2016, 09:29 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029
^this

Plus I am a sentimental person so I get attach to things beyond their face value which is why I'm never selling my car. It does predispose me to become a hoarder or a cat lady (if I were the opposite gender) so I try to temper it
I think being a hoarder of GT Porsche's is a worthy cause - carry on!
Old 03-12-2016, 02:05 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

No more new GT4 allocations. They are done. Heard it direct from a high level source. Any allocations that one may find is not going to be a new one. Could be one a Dealer holding or some one backing out. It will be a couple of years before the next iteration
Old 03-12-2016, 03:36 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting ... Thanks JD
Old 03-13-2016, 05:14 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,792 Likes on 2,160 Posts

Sweet, so I can continue to drive and track mine?
Old 03-13-2016, 05:20 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

:
Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Sweet, so I can continue to drive and track mine?
Old 03-14-2016, 09:56 AM
Jeffvan1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, go ahead and track it. Just don't hit anything, as Porsche will not be making you another one...

Quick Reply: 2017 GT4, Yes or No?