Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Coolant leak behind front wheel (drivers side)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 06:44 PM
cooperyau
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak behind front wheel (drivers side)

Took delivery last week and now with 150 miles. Noticed some small coolant leak right inside/behind the front drivers wheel. I wonder what is causing this. Perhaps overfilled?
Old 03-06-2016, 07:12 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by cooperyau
Took delivery last week and now with 150 miles. Noticed some small coolant leak right inside/behind the front drivers wheel. I wonder what is causing this. Perhaps overfilled?
Did you use your window washer fluid ? it runs down the windshield and puddles in the door-sill and then gets blown across the door when driving
Many posts about this on Rennlist ( no conclusive answer yet ?)
Old 03-06-2016, 07:13 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

The radiators are in front of the front wheels and I've had a GT3 friend puncture his radiator there with a rock that resulted in a catastrophic failure.

My guess is that a fitting in the line isn't quite holding up. Get it back to the dealer and hopefully it'll be a quick and easy fix.

Is the fluid really coolant? The washer fluid tank is also around there and there are lines running to the headlamp washer nipples if you got that option.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:30 PM
cooperyau
Instructor

Its not washer fluid as it is coolant on the garage floor. It is likely a loose fitting or hose clamp thats what I am thinking. Will call dealer tmw and have them take a look

Originally Posted by PistolPete
The radiators are in front of the front wheels and I've had a GT3 friend puncture his radiator there with a rock that resulted in a catastrophic failure.

My guess is that a fitting in the line isn't quite holding up. Get it back to the dealer and hopefully it'll be a quick and easy fix.

Is the fluid really coolant? The washer fluid tank is also around there and there are lines running to the headlamp washer nipples if you got that option.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:37 PM
cooperyau
Instructor

Someone just told me porsche coolant color is pink and not greenish/blue...
Old 03-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Humilde
Intermediate

Its not washer fluid as it is coolant on the garage floor. It is likely a loose fitting or hose clamp thats what I am thinking. Will call dealer tmw and have them take a look
I had also a problem with the cooling system of my GT4 it has 900 miles in my case it was a faulty thermostat , iam waiting to the dealer to replace.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:39 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Someone just told me porsche coolant color is pink and not greenish/blue...
Confirmed, I have gallons of that stuff (don't ask) and it's pink.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:58 PM
cooperyau
Instructor

Just spoke to a friend who is a porsche mechanic. he also confirmed that the coolant color should be pink. Mostly in my case, it is just an overflow of windshield fluids. I will drive it for the next few days and pay close attention for any more leaks and what color are the fluids...

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Confirmed, I have gallons of that stuff (don't ask) and it's pink.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Just spoke to a friend who is a porsche mechanic. he also confirmed that the coolant color should be pink. Mostly in my case, it is just an overflow of windshield fluids. I will drive it for the next few days and pay close attention for any more leaks and what color are the fluids...

So what do I win
Old 03-06-2016, 10:20 PM
Rac10000
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Check to see if the hose going from the washer fluid tank to the nozzles is broken. Happened on my '14 Cayman S ... bad pic, but you'll get the idea ...

Name:  IMG_8439_zpsxqzbw5wm.jpg
Views: 2346
Size:  191.3 KB
Old 03-07-2016, 01:21 PM
cooperyau
Instructor

Just my F'ing luck. Stopped by the dealer earlier to have them inspect the leak. Turns out it is power steering fluid and looks to be coming from the power steering rack. Service adviser and mechanic told me this is very rare and especially on a new GT4. They will likely need to drop the fuel cell and front end to have the entire steering rack replaced. WTF!!!! Car have 160 miles! I am extremely upset at this situation (although not dealer or salesperson fault). Just sucks knowing front end needs to be replaced for this work. Car could be down for weeks depending on how quickly they can get the part from Germany. Just had the car clear wrapped and detailed too. Do I have myself a lemon? What can I ask for from porsche?
Attached Images   
Old 03-07-2016, 01:37 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Just my F'ing luck. Stopped by the dealer earlier to have them inspect the leak. Turns out it is power steering fluid and looks to be coming from the power steering rack. Service adviser and mechanic told me this is very rare and especially on a new GT4. They will likely need to drop the fuel cell and front end to have the entire steering rack replaced. WTF!!!! Car have 160 miles! I am extremely upset at this situation (although not dealer or salesperson fault). Just sucks knowing front end needs to be replaced for this work. Car could be down for weeks depending on how quickly they can get the part from Germany. Just had the car clear wrapped and detailed too. Do I have myself a lemon? What can I ask for from porsche?
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I think you have posted this right after hearing the news. It's very unfortunate that a power steering rack leaks when it's brand new,but Porsche does not build most of these parts. Unfortunately,even Porsche that uses top suppliers is experiencing quality problems. Quality problems can be experienced with all manufacturers across the board,some more than others. Some have transmission failures,some engine,some turbochargers...etc...with few to no miles. Just think of the owners that needed engine replacement on their brand new 991 GT3 because of a rod bolt.
This isn't that serious. They don't have to " replace the whole front end ". It's just a power steering rack. It probably takes 4-5 hours tops. The only problem is getting the part from Germany. I wouldn't worry too much,seriously.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:43 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Sorry to hear. Hopefully it gets fixed quickly. Never good to deal with on a brand new car!
Old 03-07-2016, 01:46 PM
cooperyau
Instructor

Thanks for your input into this matter. Fingers crossed that this part is not a specialty part for the GT4 but a common part for a cayman that they can get from Germany. I'm hoping they can locate this part and have it shipped express ASAP. Just hate the fact that the car is out of my possession and back on the dealer lot until it's fixed.

Originally Posted by neanicu
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I think you have posted this right after hearing the news. It's very unfortunate that a power steering rack leaks when it's brand new,but Porsche does not build most of these parts. Unfortunately,even Porsche that uses top suppliers is experiencing quality problems. Quality problems can be experienced with all manufacturers across the board,some more than others. Some have transmission failures,some engine,some turbochargers...etc...with few to no miles. Just think of the owners that needed engine replacement on their brand new 991 GT3 because of a rod bolt.
This isn't that serious. They don't have to " replace the whole front end ". It's just a power steering rack. It probably takes 4-5 hours tops. The only problem is getting the part from Germany. I wouldn't worry too much,seriously.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:48 PM
cooperyau
Instructor

Thanks. Trying to be optimistic. Just sucks that car is brand new and have to tear **** apart. Dealer promised to have it perfect back to stock spec followed by a alignment....... more sleepless nights to come until it comes home

Originally Posted by tasman
Sorry to hear. Hopefully it gets fixed quickly. Never good to deal with on a brand new car!

Quick Reply: Coolant leak behind front wheel (drivers side)