Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 02:26 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Xpel-What needs to be covered?

Getting paint protection lined up..gonna make me wait even longer. Ugh!

But, necessary I think. What are the bits on the GT4 that need protection? Very light track duty if any so I don't want to do full hood, etc. Just the vital areas.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-03-2016, 02:30 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

There are several threads on this in this forum already, please search.

For track duty, I recommend full front (hood, bumper, front fenders, and mirrors), plus the rocker panels, area behind rear wheel, and side scoops. In order of of importance, I'd say bumper and rockers are most vital.

You should just do the full front. The hood is an easy one to do because it can be wrapped entirely with no visible seam. Otherwise, you will get rock chips on the hood and not the bumper, doesn't make sense. I do not recommend A-pillars or front of roof...unsightly film seam and risk is lower.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:32 PM
bhk1004
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything. Cause the rocks are like guided missiles and will only hit you were its bare.

Honestly. Just do the areas that will bother you if you get rock chips... in the end somewhere somehow will get nicked. Just my 2cents. I have the entire front, pillars, front of roof, vents, door cups, behind the rear tires covered.

If you end up taking everyone's opinions you will basically end up having to cover the entire car...
Old 03-03-2016, 02:42 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As others said, there are several XPEL/clear bra threads already even in the GT4 section, but definitely do the full hood if you'll be on track at all. The car sits low, so all of it will be fairly exposed. Fenders are also strongly recommended given how far forward they extend on this car. Headlamps require some decision-making due to an issue with them (read the "Xpel delamination issue" thread), but the DRLs are fine to cover and tiny. After that, mirror caps are common since they're small, as is a good portion of the area behind the rear wheels. There's a natural horizontal crease on the rear bumper panel, and having clear bra from that point down to the bottom of the bodywork and extending maybe a foot back will covers the area the rear tires are mostly likely to kick junk onto. The side intake covers and the painted area between the plastic intakes and the doors are also recommended since those intakes are vacuums for both air and debris.

After that, areas that have some amount of interest are:

- Full side skirts (expensive since they're huge; I only got them covered the width of the fender panel coming down above them for consistency, and it seems enough looking at dirt patterns on my car)
- A pillars (too small a target for me to worry about personally)
- Top of rear wing (expensive, and although it gets dirty it doesn't seem like hard debris would make it back there much)
- Rear quarter panels (didn't seem high-risk enough to me)
- Roof (not typical especially among people not already covering the entire car)
Old 03-03-2016, 02:42 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by vantage
There are several threads on this in this forum already, please search.

For track duty, I recommend full front (hood, bumper, front fenders, and mirrors), plus the rocker panels, area behind rear wheel, and side scoops. In order of of importance, I'd say bumper and rockers are most vital.

You should just do the full front. The hood is an easy one to do because it can be wrapped entirely with no visible seam. Otherwise, you will get rock chips on the hood and not the bumper, doesn't make sense. I do not recommend A-pillars or front of roof...unsightly film seam and risk is lower.
Originally Posted by bhk1004
Everything. Cause the rocks are like guided missiles and will only hit you were its bare.

Honestly. Just do the areas that will bother you if you get rock chips... in the end somewhere somehow will get nicked. Just my 2cents. I have the entire front, pillars, front of roof, vents, door cups, behind the rear tires covered.

If you end up taking everyone's opinions you will basically end up having to cover the entire car...
Thanks guys. You're right. Whatever I don't cover will take a hit for sure.

One thing I just thought about. Been debating a stripe kit. Shouldn't that be done before the xpel if I go with it?
Old 03-03-2016, 02:50 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Whether to do stripes before Xpel has also been covered if you search.

Cliff notes: It can be done before but you risk bubbles, so you can still do it after.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:46 PM
firefisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cover front end and behind the rear wheel wells.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:26 PM
xxrockmanxneoxx
Instructor

i had the same questions before what ended up happening is that areas that werent covered got hit. I will be doing the whole car. It will be costly but at least i know all of it is covered
Old 03-03-2016, 04:28 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Makes me want to get a BB gun and pop it a couple of times. At least I get to put the first one where I want it.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:21 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Just completed the PPF on my 'Black' GT4.

I covered the front bumper, fenders, hood, headlights, mirrors, a pillars, roof, rockers including scoop and surrounding area and the area behind the rear wheel (to the contour line in the rear bumper).

Considered doing the entire car but the cost was more than double to cover the rest...
Old 03-04-2016, 01:33 AM
volksjaeger
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Old 03-04-2016, 08:19 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Just completed the PPF on my 'Black' GT4.

I covered the front bumper, fenders, hood, headlights, mirrors, a pillars, roof, rockers including scoop and surrounding area and the area behind the rear wheel (to the contour line in the rear bumper).

Considered doing the entire car but the cost was more than double to cover the rest...
Great thank you. Yes certain bits alone I was quoted $400. It's an expensive process, but the guy is really good.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:19 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by volksjaeger
Beautiful thank you! This makes it easy!
Old 03-05-2016, 06:33 AM
GT4VR
Instructor

Old 03-05-2016, 09:06 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GT4VR
That about covers it.

Quick Reply: Xpel-What needs to be covered?