Sponsored by: APR

Complimentary Technology Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 12:29 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Complimentary Technology Update

Received this in email today. Anyone else get this, or know what it's for? Do I actually have the diesel engine, hence my lack of issues with the torque curve?

Complimentary Technology Update
You and your Cayman GT4 are invited

We hope the first few months with your new Cayman GT4 have been enjoyable. Our goal is to ensure that every mile is as pleasant as your first, and that means bringing your vehicle up to the latest production specifications, similar to what you may have experienced with your smartphone's software updates. But unlike your phone, your Cayman GT4 may need physical inspections and hardware upgrades as well.
Our records indicate that your vehicle has updates pending which can be easily handled by your authorized Porsche dealer. They have already been notified of these items, so preparations have been made to accommodate you as efficiently as possible. We would like to invite you to contact your Service Consultant at Porsche of North Olmsted by calling (440) 716-2700 to schedule an appointment at your convenience. This would also be a great time to ask any questions you may have about the operation of your Cayman GT4 since taking delivery.
Please know there is no charge for this service. And while none of these updates impact the safety of your vehicle, they will help to ensure your Cayman GT4 is operating optimally, and will continue to provide a pleasurable driving experience. If you have already completed service in the last few days, there is no need for further action on your part at this time. If you have recently scheduled service, the updates should be made at your scheduled service visit.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:37 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could this be related to the side air vent mesh change that has already been discussed? When was your car produced? Or, you know, call that number in your letter to find out and report back!
Old 02-17-2016, 12:40 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

It was an August delivery car, and it appears it is the air intake.

I just called and what I got was 'No software updates... Just new protective grills for the engine compartment intakes'

So, no hurry. But it'll be nice to know that annoying sound of getting a leaf stuck in the fan might go away...
Old 02-17-2016, 12:46 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Depending on distance and time involved why not have your dealer send you the parts for the grill. Its an easy 1 min install on your own time.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:49 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 85 Posts

I got the email as well. August delivery.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:52 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

Maybe they'll upload a more aggressive tune
Old 02-17-2016, 12:53 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Depending on distance and time involved why not have your dealer send you the parts for the grill. Its an easy 1 min install on your own time.
I highly doubt they will do that. They need to punch in the warranty work in order to get paid for labor and parts. Even though it takes a min,I bet the job still pays 0.5 HR and those grills are not cheap.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:59 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I highly doubt they will do that. They need to punch in the warranty work in order to get paid for labor and parts. Even though it takes a min,I bet the job still pays 0.5 HR and those grills are not cheap.
All depends on your relationship with your dealer. IIRC pay was 10 time units. What your dealer will tell you it takes is another story.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:02 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

It's a good thought, but my bet is they'll want to see the car. It looks like it might hit the high 40's here on Friday, so I might take it down and see if they'll let me take a few pics of the install.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:04 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 336 Posts

I'm still hoping for Carplay
Old 02-17-2016, 01:06 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

What your dealer will tell you it takes is another story.
My dealer didn't tell me anything because my car came with updated grills from the factory. The 0.5 HR was purely speculation on my part.
If you're implying they might tell you it's more than it actually takes,I don't see a reason for that either. It's not like you're paying for it.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:10 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by user1029
Maybe they'll upload a more aggressive tune
Now I don't think I need any more power, but that's a freebie I would take!

Actually, what would be really nice would be if they would revise the SW for the steering every time they work out how to make it better.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:53 PM
chewy08753
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 31 Posts

Mine was an August delivery and I received that email today as well
Old 02-17-2016, 02:56 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chewy08753
Mine was an August delivery and I received that email today as well
Have you had a leaf stuck in the intake yet? It's a really annoying sound but goes away eventually (hopefully) once the leaf gets chewed up in the fan.

Hoping this tweak at least reduces the likelihood.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:57 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
Have you had a leaf stuck in the intake yet? It's a really annoying sound but goes away eventually (hopefully) once the leaf gets chewed up in the fan. Hoping this tweak at least reduces the likelihood.
I had that noise happening on mine multiple times,even with the updated grills.

Quick Reply: Complimentary Technology Update