Sponsored by: APR

Comments from Frank-Steffen Walliser

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 06:30 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Comments from Frank-Steffen Walliser

An interesting interview of Frank-Steffen Walliser in latest issue of Evo. This guy heads up Porsche Motorsport, which includes all their GT cars as well as all their race cars (ie GT4, GT3, GT3 RS through to GT4 Clubsport all the way through to LMP1 919). I guess this makes him AP's boss?

In any case, there are a few comments which I found interesting. His ambitions:

"To retain the character of the GT road cars, despite homologation requirements, new regulations and CO2 targets"

"Not to look too much into the past and make old cars as a result"

"To not always look at turbos, naturally aspirated engines are nice too"

When asked about the possibility of a GT4 RS:

"Normally we don't have a problem with ideas (laughs), but we cannot do everything at the same time!"

You would have to imagine that the .2 GT cars will have at least one NA engine amongst them based on that comment above and that the GT4 RS will not definitely not grace the 981.1 range.

BTW - EVO is a great read again. The editorial from Dario Franchitti talks about his favourite driving experience of 2015 - driving the GT4 as part of ECOTY. He describes the car as "unbelievably special". High praise indeed, considering he was driving it back to back with the likes of the GT3 RS, 675 LT, 488 GTB and more.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:36 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I think next GT3 RS will have an electric motor / KERS system as in 918.
The faith of the GT4 will be dependent on the success of the Clubsport car. If they can achieve a huge success in this series and start GT4 heritage, i think we will see a detuned version of GT3 engine in GT4, but without the electric support.

When i talked to my sales rep, he also mentioned that the future specifications of GT3 racing class were not clear. Hence Porsche is still considering turbo to stay competitive. Actually i have never checked this on web, hence not sure if this is somehow reflecting the reality or not.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:31 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by FelisMalicious
I think next GT3 RS will have an electric motor / KERS system as in 918.
The faith of the GT4 will be dependent on the success of the Clubsport car. If they can achieve a huge success in this series and start GT4 heritage, i think we will see a detuned version of GT3 engine in GT4, but without the electric support. .
I wonder if they have ambitions of redesigning the rear suspension in the 982 to better accommodate more power and racing ambitions (i.e. mult-link rear - might compromise rear luggage room too much though).
Old 02-14-2016, 08:03 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I wonder if they have ambitions of redesigning the rear suspension in the 982 to better accommodate more power and racing ambitions (i.e. mult-link rear - might compromise rear luggage room too much though).
I would happily give up real luggage room in my GT4 for an upgraded suspension.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:19 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys don't think the GT4's suspension is up to the task as is? Haven't driven the car yet, but of the possible problems with it, I wouldn't have thought that would rank very high up there.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
You guys don't think the GT4's suspension is up to the task as is? Haven't driven the car yet, but of the possible problems with it, I wouldn't have thought that would rank very high up there.
Struts are a pretty big compromise over a multi-link type. Would become more important with additional power and torque and race slicks.

Quick Reply: Comments from Frank-Steffen Walliser