Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Our epic GT4 projects thread (with ongoing updates)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:53 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Exclamation Our epic GT4 projects thread (with ongoing updates)

Over my years of enjoying automotive enthusiast forums, I have noticed some of the best content came in the form of ongoing-update threads. This is a concept I would like to try on Rennlist with GT4's that visit us.

We happen to have a few GT4s in the shop right now with one getting a somewhat typical service of our track package clear bra installation and nano coating on the body and wheels/calipers....and then another GT4 that has some really special things in store that I know everyone will enjoy following the updates on.

This thread will be updated, mostly, with proper shots taken with our dslr and if you would like to follow a steady flow of camera phone shots that show off the behind the scenes kind of stuff, you can follow our Instagram account @detailed_designs_auto_spa or do a search for the #DDGT4 hashtag.

To get us rolling, here are some shots of a Rhodium Silver GT4 that almost got a satin clear bra wrap but ended up with our pro clear bra wrap on the full front, rocker panels and bottoms of the doors along with our nano on the body, door jambs and nano on the wheels and calipers.

Washed, polished and with what we see as the minimum tear down for a Porsche clear bra wrap. (no extra charge to do it the right way)

The passenger side fender has film installed. If you look hard enough you can see the clear bra from the fender overlapping onto the bumper, waiting to be trimmed back nice and tight with the edge. Toe hook cover removed and awaiting film to be wrapped inside. Did you know we have been wrapping toe hook covers and the bumper hole for quite some time? We see this as "standard".

Now this one....

This GT4 is getting a really special something something and we can't wait to share the whole project with you! More to come very soon!

Old 02-09-2016, 06:27 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-09-2016, 07:26 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Is it possible to wrap that fender in two directions; into the headlight opening to the right, and also down into the bumper seam?
That leading edge seems to always catch the stone chips.
Also, can the edges be tucked behind the two framed and two unframed grills, or do those need to be removed for best result?
Old 02-09-2016, 07:36 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by d00d
Is it possible to wrap that fender in two directions; into the headlight opening to the right, and also down into the bumper seam?
That leading edge seems to always catch the stone chips.
Also, can the edges be tucked behind the two framed and two unframed grills, or do those need to be removed for best result?
The edge the headlights rest against are always wrapped. Bumper seam wrapping is an option that is available. The standard is tight tolerances up to the edge.

If one wants maximum coverage, disassembly of many parts is necessary. This is a service that we offer and perform regularly.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

The guys are jamming on the rhodium silver gt4 today!

All clear bra is installed and nano is going over the clear bra and exposed paint. All door jambs and stops get coated the same as a hood or door would.

Peterson is on the nano.

Tony is cleaning glass.

Tim is involved in another project at the moment but next up is a beast...

And this one...the decision has been made. It is getting the most epic clear bra wrap we have ever done along with an incredible selection of video recording, laser and radar protection, nano, clearplex, Huper Optik all around and more. We really can't wait to share this project with everyone as we progress.

Because Instagram is so easy to upload images to and takes so little time, we will be making full use of it. Be sure to follow hashtag #DDGT4 for regular images!

Old 02-22-2016, 09:08 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Buttoned up and ready to go after having our nano coating applied to the body and wheels/calipers and clear bra installed on the full hood, full front fenders, front bumper and side mirrors.

Check out our custom wrapped mirrors. Beats the pants off of the computer cut versions!

Old 02-24-2016, 03:01 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

We began on the most epic project we will have done and have made some great progress already. No matter how big the project though, we understand the devil's in the details.

Wrapping portions in clear bra? Hood emblem, headlights, side markers and toe hook cover are all removed and areas wrapped for a seamless look. Gas door and opening for the gas door must be wrapped and look seamless....but that's not enough and to me, those are fundamental things that must be done.

Want to dig deeper?

For this full wrap, obviously, the rear bumper emblems come off to a seamless look. But it's not enough to remove emblems and guesstimate where they go back. Every car that we remove emblems from gets a similar drawing that notes the exact factory location of the emblems. In this case, the owner optioned his GT4 to only have the "PORSCHE" emblems.

Paint correction is sometimes a necessary step, even when wrapping a full car. The needs dictate the actions taken and this car had an intensive scratch on the roof. Before we get aggressive we measure the paint and clear depth with our trusty Delfesko ultrasonic paint depth gauge. This ensures that a lifetime of paint integrity is not risked for the sake of removing a defect.

Defects in tight areas can't hide from us. We have the tools and expertise to address even the most out of the way defect.

OCD much? It's totally a curse and a blessing haha!
Old 02-25-2016, 01:20 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 199 Posts

I am trying to switch to PEC Atlanta so I can hand my JBM GT4 over to you in April!
Old 02-25-2016, 11:52 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vintage72
I am trying to switch to PEC Atlanta so I can hand my JBM GT4 over to you in April!
We look forward to it!
Old 02-28-2016, 11:44 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Paint correction has been completed. Wheels and calipers are coated.

Starting the tear down for an epic full body clear bra wrap.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Is that last car CWM or Fashion Grey?
Old 02-28-2016, 01:37 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
Is that last car CWM or Fashion Grey?
CWM
Old 04-08-2016, 10:12 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Go big or go home! This car is coming together(or apart haha) in an incredible way!

Old 04-09-2016, 04:39 PM
edwin814
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Meticulous. Love it

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs

For this full wrap, obviously, the rear bumper emblems come off to a seamless look. But it's not enough to remove emblems and guesstimate where they go back. Every car that we remove emblems from gets a similar drawing that notes the exact factory location of the emblems. In this case, the owner optioned his GT4 to only have the "PORSCHE" emblems.

Thank you for this!!! I had my clear bra shop wrap the rear bumper. I was going to bug a close by GT4 friend to let me do a template of his emblem.

Do you know if the PORSCHE emblem is straight horizontally or has some curvature? what about GT4 emblem?
Old 04-10-2016, 03:15 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by edwin814
Very Meticulous. Love it

Thank you for this!!! I had my clear bra shop wrap the rear bumper. I was going to bug a close by GT4 friend to let me do a template of his emblem.

Do you know if the PORSCHE emblem is straight horizontally or has some curvature? what about GT4 emblem?
Thanks for the compliment!

I am not in front of it, but IIRC, it is curved. When you go to reinstall, have it mocked up with some tape on the top of the letters. This will allow you to lift it, while keeping it in place, to remove the backing tape and stick them down without losing your placement.

Have fun!

Quick Reply: Our epic GT4 projects thread (with ongoing updates)