Sponsored by: APR

1 week into GT4 ownership

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 02:36 AM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts
Default 1 week into GT4 ownership

Having driven an incredibly well spec'd Cayman GTS for the past 12 months, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out some of the most notable differences that I have thus far experienced with my brand new Cayman GT4. If you're in the same boat and are considering making the swap, I think this thread may be of some benefit as I myself could not exactly imagine how much better the GT4 would be than the GTS without having driven one prior to taking delivery of my car.

Engine: Wow. I hate to sound like I am exaggerating here, but you can really feel the punch that the 3.8 has over the 3.4. Even though the GTS is tuned to 340HP and is the faster of the 981 Cayman lot, the GT4 is on a completely different level in terms of power delivery. The extra "45" horsepower is very apparant, and the exhaust note immediately reflects its refined nature as it sounds a bit more agressive, but lacks that overly forced and somewhat juvenile sounding "snap, crackle, pop" that the GTS embodies.

Suspension: Again, an immediate difference which took no more than 100 feet to realize. The car feels like it is sprung much stiffer than the GTS, especially since the GTS was equipped with PASM and not X73. You can definitely feel the stiffer ride in the GT4, especially on the freeway. The GT4 corners extremely flat compared to the GTS, and the 3 way adjustable sway bars are a nice treat as you can set up the car to your liking. Overall, the GT4 feels like a race car whereas the GTS felt like the ultimate sports daily driver.

Brakes: Not much to say here as there is no real comparison. The pedal feels extremely firm and allows for better feedback during spirited driving. I do have to say though that they are just a tad bit louder than the GTS brakes during daily driving scenarios, but who cares.

These are only a few quick observations that I've been able to make over the past week. Obviously the interior and exterior aesthetics of the car we are all aware of, but I do have to mention that the new steering did feel a bit strange on the drive home from the dealer, but now that I'm used to it, feels much better than the older one.

If there are any specific questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to elaborate.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:57 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you say that a GTS is 85% of the GT4 experience? I missed the GT4 boat and have a heavily specced GTS on order.

I have come out of a 997.2 GT3 and don't expect that level of performance by any stretch, I just hope that I am not too disappointed by the performance. I should add that the GTS will be a daily drive as my GT3 was.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:54 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

" Overall, the GT4 feels like a race car "

no it don't nothing like one in any way.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:48 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually agree on this. My experience has been the 987 spyder and 7.2rs. Both are rawer. Although, I think it defo has a leg up on the Cayman r.

I want them all. Lol (including the cr)
Old 02-08-2016, 12:39 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Nice write up, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:59 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 72 Posts

I am also just over one week as the owner of a GT4, it is a great vehicle. I also own a 2011 GT 3 so I can compare the two.

Last fall I had the opportunity to drive a GT 4 for over two hours on a track and skid pad so I was well aware how good a car it was. Now with over 400 street miles on mine I can state it is not a good car but a great car. Very comfortable on the highway or in traffic with a transmission and shifter that are nothing short of outstanding.

The vehicle is quieter than my GT 3 and in some cases better. The Gt4 is easier to drive quickly than the GT3, which requires close attention. The mid engine is just so easy to maneuver around a track. It has plenty of power and torque and is so well balanced. The brakes (I have PCCB's) are right at fantastic. Great brake feel and they do pull the car down quickly.

I said that in some cases it is better than a GT 3 but there is no way I'm getting rid of the GT3 it is just a different beast and a powerful one. Two great examples of PORSCHE Motorsport excellence

Quick Reply: 1 week into GT4 ownership