Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Build Spec - narrowing it down

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 11:12 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts
Default GT4 Build Spec - narrowing it down

I've spent many hours reading all the build comments and looking at photos of colors, wheels and interiors. I've seen two in person, one at a dealer today in Carmine Red (sold of course) and another in SBM 3 months ago at night.

Here's my spec for a mid-May build:

GT Silver
Platinum Satin wheels
LWB seats (I'm 6'2" and 220 lb., sat in a GT3 RS with LWB for 5 minutes, fit was OK)
Standard interior w/platinum stitching
Seat belts in Guards Red (will add red door pulls at delivery)
PCM Nav
Extended range fuel tank
Auto dimming mirrors w/rain sensor
Light design package
Steering wheel and gear lever in leather
2-zone automatic air
Smoking package (for extra power connection)
Passenger footwell luggage net

Other options still being considered, and thoughts on my choices so far:

Color: Still thinking about GR or AG. I have a GR BS, love it, and plan to keep it for several years. I like the GT4 in GR with platinum or black wheels, but don't think I want two GR cars . AG is classy and stealthy, but I think I want more color pop. I'm going to see a GT Silver GT4 in person on Monday to see if the photos represent reality. I like the photos I've seen posted of GT Silver enough to pay the extra $$$.

Wheels: Still thinking about black satin for all ext. colors and silver wheels if I go with GT Silver or GR.

PDLS: I like the clean look without washers, have lights that steer on my BS and 335is and I don't really see the value, but if PDLS are truly brighter than stock, that might sway me to get them. Anyone do a side-by-side compare with PDLS and non-PDLS for brightness? I think the wattage rating is 25w vs. 35w but what does that translate to in brightness and view down the road?

Get standard radio and not PCM, and add aftermarket head unit that has bluetooth audio and better sound? 10 years from now the PCM/CDR+ head unit won't matter to many people, including me, because it will be quite obsolete technology-wise (it somewhat already is).

Get CDR+ and not PCM? Wart sucks, would only do this to save $$, my basic minimum requirement is I want streaming bluetooth music and hands free phone. I've read lots of threads saying CDR+ provides bluetooth music streaming, but I'd like to hear from someone who has CDR+ (no PCM) to confirm this.

18 way sofas? Significant other...she thinks lumbar support and seat heaters are from the gods. I've mastered getting in and out of my BS with 14-ways, I think I can master the LWB or 18 way bolsters. The LWB seats suit this car's nature, and look great. Comfort on long (3+ hour) drives is my only concern for LWB.

Chrono Sport: Could care less about the clock, don't think track app is worth $1800

Alcantara visors: Cost/benefit ratio does not work for me
Leather interior: Cost/benefit ratio does not work for me

Comments, jokes, questions are welcome!
Old 01-30-2016, 11:20 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

I think you go with AG with satin black wheels. You will have the red seat belts matching the stock calipers. Forget sport chrono if you feel it is not worth it. I would get the PCM w/Nav and if you decide against LWBs( I still think these are a must) the 4 ways are perfect. Have them on my GT3 and very happy although LWBs were not available for 2014s.

All done
Old 01-30-2016, 11:31 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I think you go with AG with satin black wheels. You will have the red seat belts matching the stock calipers. Forget sport chrono if you feel it is not worth it. I would get the PCM w/Nav and if you decide against LWBs( I still think these are a must) the 4 ways are perfect. Have them on my GT3 and very happy although LWBs were not available for 2014s.

All done
I stared for 10 minutes at an AG 981 Cayman S with satin black wheels today at a dealer, in full sunlight, and I like the combo. On the seats, I'm 98% sure I'm going with LWB.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:37 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

I just think Agate is a very interesting color. Go with what you saw today. You did not spend 10 min staring if it did not stun you
Old 01-31-2016, 12:23 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Agree with Jimmy-D. Agate is a solid color on the GT4.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:51 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Just trying to help....

Here's my car:

LND_2507-2 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

More photos here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskkgaa2K
Old 01-31-2016, 01:10 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

No side-by-side comparison of PDLS vs regular headlamps that I've seen or a definitive answer on the difference in light output. I will say that I never notice the washer warts anymore, though I did spring to have them painted in exterior color. But if you won't drive on twisty rural or otherwise poorly lit roads at night, PDLS can be skipped IMHO. I actually like the swivel feature, but I actually do drive on such roads at night on occasion.

I find PCM and its extra features useful now, and if I feel it's obsolete later and the head unit is THAT important to me (doubtful), I'll upgrade then -- but at least this way I get to enjoy things like Bluetooth Audio and nav on the occasions I need it without having to spring for an aftermarket unit now, which won't give you too many more years before obsolescence IMHO compared to PCM if purchased today. There may also turn out to be a way to retrofit the new PCM unit in the 718 to this car.

Don't cave on LWBs for lumbar unless your wife has bad back issues -- and even then cushions can be employed. As for seat heating, the fit of the seat and the Alcantara already create a seat heating effect. My wife who is tiny and doesn't come close to filling out the seat remarked that they felt like they had seat heating, for what it's worth, and I've noticed the same thing. They keep my back warm, and if I had the 18-ways with their Alcantara centers plus seat heating my back would probably sweat.

Leather interior with red stitch would look great with GT Silver. I know you said you don't see the value, and the deviated stitching does admittedly (and bizarrely) more than double the cost of adding leather, but if you're also paying a premium for GT Silver over the other paints plus red belts and dealer-installed red door pulls, it's worth considering matching the interior as ideally as possible IMHO. Red stitch would also work well with GR or even probably Agate, though I haven't seen the latter in person. Do you even get platinum stitching on the seats with the base interior or is it just decorative black stitching?
Old 01-31-2016, 03:19 AM
2WheelsRBetter
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
I've spent many hours reading all the build comments and looking at photos of colors, wheels and interiors.

Color: Still thinking about GR or AG. ...AG is classy and stealthy, but I think I want more color pop. I'm going to see a GT Silver GT4 in person on Monday to see if the photos represent reality. I like the photos I've seen posted of GT Silver enough to pay the extra $$$.

PDLS: I like the clean look without washers, have lights that steer on my BS and 335is and I don't really see the value, but if PDLS are truly brighter than stock, that might sway me to get them.

Get CDR+ and not PCM? Wart sucks, would only do this to save $$, my basic minimum requirement is I want streaming bluetooth music and hands free phone. I've read lots of threads saying CDR+ provides bluetooth music streaming, but I'd like to hear from someone who has CDR+ (no PCM) to confirm this.

18 way sofas? Significant other...she thinks lumbar support and seat heaters are from the gods. I've mastered getting in and out of my BS with 14-ways, I think I can master the LWB or 18 way bolsters. The LWB seats suit this car's nature, and look great. Comfort on long (3+ hour) drives is my only concern for LWB.
This is very similar to my build.

Color: I chose GT Silver after first configuring it in AGM. I love AGM with the exception of its tendency to show brown hues in certain light, e.g., direct sunlight. Please share your impressions after you see the GT Silver GT4 in person, as I will not have that opportunity where I live.

PDLS: I chose PDLS for its function. I live up a hill with several switchbacks. Also being up north, we have considerable darkness in certain times of year. With critters such as moose and bear grazing on the shoulders, I want my lights to peer around corners. I don't care about the headlamp washer "nipples" - they're nothing compared to the benefit of optimal lighting.

CDR+: I chose this because 1) I want to have bluetooth music streaming and phone connect; and 2) I didn't want to spend on SatNav - my Garmin Zumo can be lifted off my motorcycle and outperforms almost every built-in SatNav on the market. Then when all the built-ins (and my Zumo) are obsolete, I can buy another for far less than PCM.

18-ways VS LWB: Argh!!! I so want LWBs but elected to buy 18-ways. I love the LWBs and all things carbon fiber (my motorcycles are testament to this). However, where I live I don't have access to a track. Also, I'm 53 and plan to keep this car a while and when semi-retired (or retired), intend to live the "EVO car dream" and drive this baby in as many parts of America as I can. I figure the 18-ways will be better on those 8 hour days carving America's back roads in what for me, will be a road car. Oh...and, my wife wants heated seats she can get into and out of with some modicum of grace.

Originally Posted by jphughan
Do you even get platinum stitching on the seats with the base interior or is it just decorative black stitching?
Yes, with the base interior you get contrast stitching in platinum gray on the seats. With the "Leather Interior Black, Stitching in Platinum Gray," you get contrast stitching in platinum gray throughout, just as you do with the red or yellow stitching. It's just $1,400 less.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:56 AM
GT4VR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone says that the best bang for the buck option is the leather and I agree with that.

PistolPete's picture above has been my desktop wallpaper for the past month so I'm obviously biased towards AG, but if you do get GT Silver you should go with the platinum stitching. It will match the exterior and I think the charge for choosing another color (I chose red) for stitching is annoying.

The light design package seems like a waste and the only reason to get it is because it's required when you get the alcantara visors, which is maybe worth it. I got them because alcantara.

PDLS is cool, but also a waste if you're trying to be reasonable with options. I didn't get it.

LWB are a must in my opinion as they significantly contribute to making the car feel sporty and special. To me it would be like if the front lip, side intakes, and wing were an option. Only reason not to get them is if you're physically uncomfortable in them.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:30 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

The PDLS swivel is very useful, I've become accustomed to it in my Audi, and it's startlingly missed when driving a car without it.
PDLS at 35W is 40% higher wattage than 25W, but it would take ten times the wattage from 25W to 250W, to double the perceived brightness.
I'm not sure anyone would be able to see the 4% visual difference.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:29 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jphughan
No side-by-side comparison of PDLS vs regular headlamps that I've seen or a definitive answer on the difference in light output. I will say that I never notice the washer warts anymore, though I did spring to have them painted in exterior color. But if you won't drive on twisty rural or otherwise poorly lit roads at night, PDLS can be skipped IMHO. I actually like the swivel feature, but I actually do drive on such roads at night on occasion.

I find PCM and its extra features useful now, and if I feel it's obsolete later and the head unit is THAT important to me (doubtful), I'll upgrade then -- but at least this way I get to enjoy things like Bluetooth Audio and nav on the occasions I need it without having to spring for an aftermarket unit now, which won't give you too many more years before obsolescence IMHO compared to PCM if purchased today. There may also turn out to be a way to retrofit the new PCM unit in the 718 to this car.

Don't cave on LWBs for lumbar unless your wife has bad back issues -- and even then cushions can be employed. As for seat heating, the fit of the seat and the Alcantara already create a seat heating effect. My wife who is tiny and doesn't come close to filling out the seat remarked that they felt like they had seat heating, for what it's worth, and I've noticed the same thing. They keep my back warm, and if I had the 18-ways with their Alcantara centers plus seat heating my back would probably sweat.

Leather interior with red stitch would look great with GT Silver. I know you said you don't see the value, and the deviated stitching does admittedly (and bizarrely) more than double the cost of adding leather, but if you're also paying a premium for GT Silver over the other paints plus red belts and dealer-installed red door pulls, it's worth considering matching the interior as ideally as possible IMHO. Red stitch would also work well with GR or even probably Agate, though I haven't seen the latter in person. Do you even get platinum stitching on the seats with the base interior or is it just decorative black stitching?
All good feedback, thanks.

With standard interior, there is platinum stitching on seats and doors, but not as extensive on the doors as with leather interior option. For the leather option with platinum stitching color, it is a decent cost/value option IMO, but the standard interior looks nice, high quality look/feel. Once I start with the leather option in the configurator, I get the Porsche option disease and start clicking all the leather boxes . I may cave in during the final days and go for $3000 worth of red stitching. FWIW, my SA said he believes he can have the red door pulls put in at the factory with standard interior, but we shall see.

I appreciate the desire to make the inside of the car as nice as the spirit of its performance, but I'm leaning towards minimalist drivers car vs. dressed out car on the overall balance. I see auto-dimming mirrors, rain sensing wipers, and auto a/c temp control as safety features in that I have one less thing to fiddle with when I'm driving.

On the PDLS, if I click that box, I have to click the $295 wart paint option because, ugly, so there's $1000. I think I'd rather have those $$ for the tires and brakes fund unless the PDLS lights are demonstrably brighter than standard lights. If PDLS could help me avoid one pothole or curb I suppose they'd be worth the money, but I don't think they steer that far. I'll take my BS out and experiment on some curvy rural roads and pay particular attention to the light steering effect. But I've had the BMW dynamic steering lights in my 335is for 4 years and I'm not recalling any wow moments where the steering effect was notable.

I'll most likely just stick with PCM-Nav. Don't like the CDR+ wart and want bluetooth streaming. I can just see the Porsche marketing BOGSAT and figuring the odds on what options people check and how they can mix features to drive people to check the high dollar box .

Last edited by okie981; 01-31-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I have PDLS on my Cayman and don't on my Carrera. I can't tell any difference in brightness. But I do notice the warts on the Cayman. Carrera front looks much cleaner. I would never spec a car with them, but that's just my preference.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:53 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
Here's my spec for a mid-May build:

GT Silver
Platinum Satin wheels
LWB seats (I'm 6'2" and 220 lb., sat in a GT3 RS with LWB for 5 minutes, fit was OK)
Standard interior w/platinum stitching
Seat belts in Guards Red (will add red door pulls at delivery)
PCM Nav
Extended range fuel tank
Auto dimming mirrors w/rain sensor
Light design package
Steering wheel and gear lever in leather
2-zone automatic air
Smoking package (for extra power connection)
Passenger footwell luggage net

Other options still being considered, and thoughts on my choices so far:

Color: Still thinking about GR or AG. I have a GR BS, love it, and plan to keep it for several years. I like the GT4 in GR with platinum or black wheels, but don't think I want two GR cars . AG is classy and stealthy, but I think I want more color pop. I'm going to see a GT Silver GT4 in person on Monday to see if the photos represent reality. I like the photos I've seen posted of GT Silver enough to pay the extra $$$.

Wheels: Still thinking about black satin for all ext. colors and silver wheels if I go with GT Silver or GR.

PDLS: I like the clean look without washers, have lights that steer on my BS and 335is and I don't really see the value, but if PDLS are truly brighter than stock, that might sway me to get them. Anyone do a side-by-side compare with PDLS and non-PDLS for brightness? I think the wattage rating is 25w vs. 35w but what does that translate to in brightness and view down the road?

Get standard radio and not PCM, and add aftermarket head unit that has bluetooth audio and better sound? 10 years from now the PCM/CDR+ head unit won't matter to many people, including me, because it will be quite obsolete technology-wise (it somewhat already is).

Chrono Sport: Could care less about the clock, don't think track app is worth $1800

Alcantara visors: Cost/benefit ratio does not work for me
Leather interior: Cost/benefit ratio does not work for me

Comments, jokes, questions are welcome!

The leather is WORTH it. Dash and interior look and feel a lot better with it. I test drove 2 cars at dealer last week, one with and one without. I drove the one with first, and when getting into car #2 it had instant feeling of cheapness looking at the acres of plastic in front of me on dash surfaces. Plus you get all that great deviated stitching on dash that just makes the car look and feel special.

Both CDR+ and PCM have the same bluetooth and aux functionality, and they include the same higher-res touchscreen and same speakers and amplifier. The difference is that PCM adds NAV but DOESN'T include XM and HD radio receivers, whereas CDR+ includes XM and HD radio receivers. So if you want PCM with XM and HD Radio receivers you have to add those options, too. If you don't need XM or HD Radio (and especially if you don't want the wart on the roof), then get PCM to have the better quality stereo with Bluetooth and USB aux functionality, better screen, and Nav.

I think it's a mistake to replace the factory stereo with after-market on a special car like this, as any modifications like that will probably hurt eventual resale value. The Nav is convenient even if you prefer Google Maps on your iPhone for directions, because the Map view in and of itself can be convenient.

Seats are a personal preference thing. Go with what's comfortable for you as long as you've confirmed the LWBs are comfortable for you by trying them in person first. If you don't go LWB, my personal opinion is that the standard 2-way sport seats are just as comfortable as the 18-ways (and they look same too, expect for all the buttons on the side), so save yourself the money and get the standard seats. Try them both and see for yourself, though.

Color is very personal, and everyone's got an opinion. I've got a GT Silver 991 GT3, which I bought used so it's not like I ordered the color, but I like it. It's certainly a richer, warmer silver than Rhodium and it's rarer because it's special color costing more. But is it worth the price premium when ordering? Probably not, since it wasn't reflected in price I paid for my GT3 used vs. other used GT3s in other colors comparably equipped with similar miles—even white ones which is cheapest color. So buy it if you like it, but only if you really like the color.

As far as wheel color with GT Silver car, I think the platinum satin wheels look best with GT Silver, not bright silver wheels. I'll post pics shortly of both so you can see what I mean.

Light design package probably a waste. Hard to even see what it is.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:01 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Here are 2 pics each of GT silver 991 GT3 cars, one with bright silver wheels and one with platinum wheels. I think the platinum wheels look better with GT Silver car. They also have the extra benefit of canceling brake dust better between washes.

GT Silver GT3 with bright silver wheels

GT Silver GT3 with bright silver wheels

GT Silver GT3 with platinum wheels

GT Silver GT3 with platinum wheels
Old 01-31-2016, 03:32 PM
GT4VR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis

Daaayyuuuummm

Quick Reply: GT4 Build Spec - narrowing it down