Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Build Spec - narrowing it down

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016 | 08:43 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by okie981
After many hours in front of the configurator, reading threads here, looking at hundreds of photos, and seeing all the available colors in person (I saw Carmine Red, GT Silver, SBM, and White in person on GT4s), I've gone back to red...Carmine Red with silver wheels.

In no small part due to this post showing CR with silver wheels:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9003...l#post12703787

...and due to a few other photos of CR/Silver cars found in Google searches.

The CR GT4 I saw in person was on a bright sunny day 2 weeks ago at Plano Porsche, it had black wheels. After seeing Da Hapa's photos he posted in this thread (GR/Silver) and seeing the post I linked above (CR/Silver), I found my color combo.

Here's the build, main difference from last is black belts, leather center console trim and dash trim painted CR. I still have standard leather, no deviated stitching:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PGYLY7H8

These cars really do look great in any color. I want something besides gray/silver/white/black, and the SBM is not my thing I guess because blue isn't one of my favorite colors.
Just on the off chance this hadn't occurred to you, leather center console trim might look weird without the transmission tunnel in leather that comes with the leather interior option, but I guess you've informed yourself as much as can be on that option, so I won't belabor it.
Old 02-15-2016 | 12:29 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

^ Good point, but I chose the leather center console trim for the dark color, didn't want the CR rectangle painted around there, and the only 2 options for the center console trim with the dash trim painted CR (which I definitely want) is for the center console to be dark (leather) or painted CR (not the look I want).

I chose standard interior because I don't care much for the extra alcantara and plain non-stitched non-leather panels are fine for my eye.

But thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-15-2016 | 11:05 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Default Carmine Red, Black Wheels, Bright Sun

A few pics of the Carmine Red GT4 I saw at Plano Porsche 2 weeks ago. Car has been sitting there a while, brake disks are rusted from car rinsing crew, the hood has bird s$$t on it, and there was a light coating of dust overall. Sold tag in window. My GR BS is in the background of last shot.
Attached Images    
Old 02-15-2016 | 11:24 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

It's just impossible to capture red properly - GR and CR look pretty much identical in that pic which is not the case.

You basically need an SLR to have the dynamic range to capture different shades/tones of red.

I've seen this carmine red GT4 on instagram - Plano Porsche has been posting it for weeks. Wonder what the deal is.
Old 02-15-2016 | 11:51 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

I saw another post somewhere that Plano Porsche makes GT3/RS and GT4 owners leave their cars on their lot or floor for 4 months. That sounds a little bizarre to me, doesn't pass the smell test. If I had bought any of these cars, I would insist on a discount for each day it sat anywhere but my garage.

Sorry for the smartphone photos, my last really good camera went with the ex. I'll call that a good trade, no SLR camera, but I got my life back .

After seeing both GR and CR in person side-by-side, I will say the photo is not color accurate, but it is...representative. Reminds me of the first time I saw a Penske Indy Car with Marlboro livery in 1991 at the Indy 500. I thought they had changed the color of their red stripes to a day-glow orange/red. Nope, it's just because video cameras or maybe the TV image itself can't capture that color temperature and put it back on to your retinas.

Pistol Pete's photos at this link show several side-by-side GR/CR shots taken with a real camera.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskkgaa2K
Old 02-16-2016 | 12:02 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okie981
I saw another post somewhere that Plano Porsche makes GT3/RS and GT4 owners leave their cars on their lot or floor for 4 months. That sounds a little bizarre to me, doesn't pass the smell test. If I had bought any of these cars, I would insist on a discount for each day it sat anywhere but my garage.

Sorry for the smartphone photos, my last really good camera went with the ex. I'll call that a good trade, no SLR camera, but I got my life back .

After seeing both GR and CR in person side-by-side, I will say the photo is not color accurate, but it is...representative. Reminds me of the first time I saw a Penske Indy Car with Marlboro livery in 1991 at the Indy 500. I thought they had changed the color of their red stripes to a day-glow orange/red. Nope, it's just because video cameras or maybe the TV image itself can't capture that color temperature and put it back on to your retinas.
No criticism here - thanks for the pics. I'm starving for Carmine pics waiting for mine to come in.

Both are great colors. GR is like a bright candy red/orange and CR is a deep blood red.

I've heard the same story about a dealer making customers keep their cars at the dealer - didn't realize it was Plano. Insane policy and incredibly disrespectful to the rightful owners to keep their cars in such a state, if that's the case.
Old 02-16-2016 | 09:17 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Notice the chin spoiler already has curb rash on the driver's side about 1/3 over from far right. If the car had to sit at the dealer, one would think it would deserve a spot inside on the showroom.....
Old 02-16-2016 | 09:33 AM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

I am buying my GT4 out of state and should be here in June. It so happens I am on business in that State and stopped by to meet the Sales Manager and the sales person. They have asked if when my car shows up if they can put it on display inside. I told them that would be my preference because i do not want it sitting outside for a couple weeks. They said they will rope it off ect.
Old 02-16-2016 | 10:04 AM
user1029
Drifting

perfect example of how the mundane the lifeblood of Porsche is nowadays to sustain the existence of the wild
Old 02-16-2016 | 11:52 AM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

I saw a CR Cayenne last night. It is very different than GR. In certain photos they look a little more similar but in person it is night and day. Neither is better but just different. I like GR and had a 997.2 Turbo in that color and I am looking forward to CR for a change. CR is a very rich, deep color. In certain lighting you can argue that it can gives off a burgundy hue but it really does not. It is just a different kind of red. It almost looks at if it has multiple coats of paint. - Can not go wrong either way
Old 02-16-2016 | 01:37 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I saw a CR Cayenne last night. It is very different than GR. In certain photos they look a little more similar but in person it is night and day. Neither is better but just different. I like GR and had a 997.2 Turbo in that color and I am looking forward to CR for a change. CR is a very rich, deep color. In certain lighting you can argue that it can gives off a burgundy hue but it really does not. It is just a different kind of red. It almost looks at if it has multiple coats of paint. - Can not go wrong either way
Totally agree.

Most photos do a terrible job of showing the differences between CR and GR. I prefer GR but I totally get the folks how like CR. It's a bit darker to my eye and a very attractive hue.
Old 02-16-2016 | 02:36 PM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

There was a CR GT4 sitting outside at Porsche Plano when I was there in late December. I'm guessing that is the same one.
Old 02-16-2016 | 03:52 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by user1029
perfect example of how the mundane the lifeblood of Porsche is nowadays to sustain the existence of the wild

Yep, lots of SUVs there to produce just one GT4.
Old 02-23-2016 | 11:23 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Final build submitted, locks midnight tomorrow night. Thanks for all your car photos and feedback.

What a journey through colors and options, but it was fun. I ended up right back where my first choice was for exterior color 3 months ago, Guards Red. After initially choosing GR, I started to second guess myself because I already have a GR BS.

The other major change I made was to go with satin black wheels. I chose this mainly because of the way the black emphasizes the rotors and red calipers, and puts a nice aggressive contrast against the hot red tone of GR.

These photos and others were the large influences on my final exterior choices:

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...g-img_5775.jpg

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...s-_mg_9513.jpg

http://ag-spots-2015.o.auroraobjects...15225307_8.jpg

http://ag-spots-2015.o.auroraobjects...15174832_9.jpg

Here are the build details:

Guards Red
Black Satin wheels
Full bucket seats
Full leather interior, deviated Guards Red stitching
Seat belts Guards Red
Leather interior package (dash and door trim leather, not brushed aluminum)
Center console leather trim
Deviated floor mats with leather edging (if GR leather edging is not approved, this will revert to standard floor mats)
PCM/Nav
Steering wheel and shifter in leather
2-zone auto A/C
Bigger gas tank
Auto-dimming mirrors, rain sensor
Light design package
Smoking package (12V power, lid)
Dorky "luggage net" in passenger footwell (hey, it's free, and a conversation piece)
Black wing supports (only choice now, but what I would want anyway)
PEC Atlanta Delivery (working on arranging PPF and window tint nearby)

If the Atlanta Delivery works out, it will be combined with a leisure-paced vacation tour through the SE, stopping by to visit my son in Nashville, driving up/back the Blue Ridge Parkway and whatever else I can dream up. Only concern will be hail storms . I'll keep an eye on weather and stay close to covered parking if hailstorms are on the route, or rearrange my route to completely avoid. I understand the PEC delivery can be canceled up to 6 weeks prior to delivery date without the $500 cancellation fee? My SA is finding out more details.

Now the wait begins......
Old 02-24-2016 | 12:00 AM
jphughan
Drifting

You went with full leather, excellent choice!!

Quick Reply: GT4 Build Spec - narrowing it down