Sponsored by: APR

Another reason I love my Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 04:58 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another reason I love my Porsche

So I bought a Fusion Energi last weekend. Well I leased it to be truthful. The Focus Electric was at it's lease end and I had intended to buy it but the residual vs it's real value quickly put an end to that.

Also my wife is about to start a new job with a long commute so I needed a car that could get good mileage for her on her drive to and from work.

But that isn't the point. The point is the smell. Sitting in the new Fusion I was aware of that "new car smell" and it is always a great feeling. But it did not really excite me as much as it should have. The scent had a very plastic aroma for obvious reasons. And of course my last new car was the GT4 which also has a new car smell, but with much more leather and no plastic overtones.

Anyway I kind of realized that is part of the point of paying so much for a Porsche or any high end car. The day I parked the GT4 in my garage it changed the way the whole garage smelled, for the better. Even my wife commented on how nice it was every day when she walked through the garage to her car.

So I started poking around the Ford showroom, since they make you wait between every round of negotiations, and took a whiff of the interior of every car and they all had that slightly pungent plasticky smell. Again not a bad thing. but not that glorious leather scent.

But they also had a GT350 on the showroom. And I must say it is a gorgeous car. They had put velvet ropes around it even. But I had to know so I asked if I could cross the ropes and open the door. And sure enough... the SAME plastic smell even in the top notch GT350.

And that is the difference to me. That is why even if the corvette or the GT350 can spank me around the track, or at a stoplight race, I prefer my car any day of the week. ever single time I start my car, look at the fine stitching and leather and then take a deep breath... it makes me happy at a deeper level that goes beyond the pleasure of simply going fast.

I am sure a GT350 would make me happy too, but not in the same way.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:03 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by gmaki
So I bought a Fusion Energi last weekend. Well I leased it to be truthful. The Focus Electric was at it's lease end and I had intended to buy it but the residual vs it's real value quickly put an end to that.

Also my wife is about to start a new job with a long commute so I needed a car that could get good mileage for her on her drive to and from work.

But that isn't the point. The point is the smell. Sitting in the new Fusion I was aware of that "new car smell" and it is always a great feeling. But it did not really excite me as much as it should have. The scent had a very plastic aroma for obvious reasons. And of course my last new car was the GT4 which also has a new car smell, but with much more leather and no plastic overtones.

Anyway I kind of realized that is part of the point of paying so much for a Porsche or any high end car. The day I parked the GT4 in my garage it changed the way the whole garage smelled, for the better. Even my wife commented on how nice it was every day when she walked through the garage to her car.

So I started poking around the Ford showroom, since they make you wait between every round of negotiations, and took a whiff of the interior of every car and they all had that slightly pungent plasticky smell. Again not a bad thing. but not that glorious leather scent.

But they also had a GT350 on the showroom. And I must say it is a gorgeous car. They had put velvet ropes around it even. But I had to know so I asked if I could cross the ropes and open the door. And sure enough... the SAME plastic smell even in the top notch GT350.

And that is the difference to me. That is why even if the corvette or the GT350 can spank me around the track, or at a stoplight race, I prefer my car any day of the week. ever single time I start my car, look at the fine stitching and leather and then take a deep breath... it makes me happy at a deeper level that goes beyond the pleasure of simply going fast.

I am sure a GT350 would make me happy too, but not in the same way.
Well - I heard of some men who have a problem and sniff Women's panties. May be you now have this issue with cars
Old 01-28-2016, 05:04 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Well - I heard of some men who have a problem and sniff Women's panties. May be you now have this issue with cars
That's a problem? lol
Old 01-28-2016, 05:19 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I love working personal anecdotes into as many threads as possible: I own a 2015 Mustang GT PP, and I love the car and really think Ford has stepped up their game. The GT350's 8250 RPM FPC V8 was awfully tempting -- I just decided my GT was good enough for now. But I know what you mean. Even coming from my 2007 Lexus IS350, while the GT had most of the same features or better on paper, it was pretty clear that it was just not quite the same class of car the second you sat in it.

Don't get me wrong, still a beautiful car with a great interior for the class, a ton of fun, and a fantastic value, but yeah, you can tell a bit where some of the savings come from. I expect the Porsche to amplify that even more, though I've only briefly sat in some at the dealership.

/carsnob

With all that said, I'm not sure a Corvette or GT350 would "spank" the GT4 around a track. The GT4's significant weight advantage and mid-engined balance is worth a thing or two. On paper, I'm not sure any of those cars has a distinct advantage over the other. Driver's race.

The GT4 is also a little more track-day-ready than either car, even if you get the Z51 or the R.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:37 PM
981spyder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer my car any day of the week. ever single time I start my car, look at the fine stitching and leather and then take a deep breath... it makes me happy at a deeper level that goes beyond the pleasure of simply going fast.
i couldn't have said it better!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:39 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Oh yeah I never want to be a car snob. Trust me that GT350 is a sweet car and envy anyone who has one. It literally stopped me dead in my tracks on the showroom floor. I even did some quick math on the ramifications of buying that instead of the Fusion... lol.

Hell, I am building my son a '65 Mustang that smells like oil and gas on the inside and I love the hell out of that car! Seriously thinking of looking for one for myself if a 1970's 911 is out of my reach.

The GT4 is like fine wine in comparison. Well maybe it is more like aged whiskey.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:40 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Just do what I did. Get a GT4 and a GT350. Best of both worlds in a way.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:10 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

That's a problem? lol
This is also news to me.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Agree 100%. Love the interior smell of Porsches. When I haven't driven my Porsche in a while and I get in, the smell is just wonderful.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:14 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
Just do what I did. Get a GT4 and a GT350. Best of both worlds in a way.
You keeping the GT3?
Old 01-28-2016, 06:23 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
You keeping the GT3?
He sold it already.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:08 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

I read somewhere that Audi intentionally designs the interior of the A8 to not have any smell, even with full leather, odd.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:26 PM
MrNurse
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Since I love working personal anecdotes into as many threads as possible: I own a 2015 Mustang GT PP, and I love the car and really think Ford has stepped up their game. The GT350's 8250 RPM FPC V8 was awfully tempting -- I just decided my GT was good enough for now. But I know what you mean. Even coming from my 2007 Lexus IS350, while the GT had most of the same features or better on paper, it was pretty clear that it was just not quite the same class of car the second you sat in it.

Don't get me wrong, still a beautiful car with a great interior for the class, a ton of fun, and a fantastic value, but yeah, you can tell a bit where some of the savings come from. I expect the Porsche to amplify that even more, though I've only briefly sat in some at the dealership.

/carsnob

With all that said, I'm not sure a Corvette or GT350 would "spank" the GT4 around a track. The GT4's significant weight advantage and mid-engined balance is worth a thing or two. On paper, I'm not sure any of those cars has a distinct advantage over the other. Driver's race.

The GT4 is also a little more track-day-ready than either car, even if you get the Z51 or the R.
Probably not the GT350, but the GT350R would lol. Apparently it laps the ring in 7:32. But no one cross shops between a Mustang and a Porsche lol..

But to the original topic, I agree with the OP. A friend and I went to my SA to add something to my config and he was in love with the Jaguar F-Type R. I always tried to sway him towards Porsche but he just loved everything about the F Type R. By chance there was an F-Type R optioned to about $120,000 next door at Land Rover which I went to test drive right after we finished at Porsche. The F-Type interior was definitely not as well made as the Porsche Interior. My friend agreed and now wants a Porsche...
Old 01-28-2016, 07:33 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
He sold it already.
This^
Old 01-28-2016, 07:36 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not a Mustang guy but I was very impressed with both the GT350 and the GT350R that I saw at the most recent LA Auto Show. The reviews have been stellar and to me, the sight lines, fit and finish, interior quality, etc. were substantially better than the last Ford products I sat in.

Great performance bargain, IMO. But good luck getting one at MSRP, esp. a GT350R.

Quick Reply: Another reason I love my Porsche