Sponsored by: APR

First recalls done on my GT4

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 02:56 AM
M3est
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First recalls done on my GT4

I was recently informed from my dealer that there are some minor recalls from the factory that has to be done to my GT4.

First was the addition of two protective grills in the side vents to protect from stones or other garbage going in. That was a piece of cake and was done in a few seconds.

Second was the exhaust tailpipes . They said that the factory discovered some worn in the welding of their test cars and they had to replace with new ones that they are improved . That was not so easy because in order to remove the tailpipes they took out the left rear wheel , they loose the screws from the left muffler so to gain space and remove the tailpipes . The new one looks the same to me .

My car was one of the first ones , (production april 2015) so i dont know which cars are involved in this action . Probably the 2016 cars must come with grills in the side vents and new tailpipes . Anyway i havent seen anybody else writing something about this so i wrote my short story so you can ask your dealers about your cars . Thank god is not something serious to worry about .
Old 01-27-2016, 11:48 AM
DrPhil Gandini
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you post photos of the grills? Did the dealer call you, or was it a letter in the mail?
Old 01-27-2016, 11:55 AM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by M3est
I was recently informed from my dealer that there are some minor recalls from the factory that has to be done to my GT4.

First was the addition of two protective grills in the side vents to protect from stones or other garbage going in. That was a piece of cake and was done in a few seconds.

Second was the exhaust tailpipes . They said that the factory discovered some worn in the welding of their test cars and they had to replace with new ones that they are improved . That was not so easy because in order to remove the tailpipes they took out the left rear wheel , they loose the screws from the left muffler so to gain space and remove the tailpipes . The new one looks the same to me .

My car was one of the first ones , (production april 2015) so i dont know which cars are involved in this action . Probably the 2016 cars must come with grills in the side vents and new tailpipes . Anyway i havent seen anybody else writing something about this so i wrote my short story so you can ask your dealers about your cars . Thank god is not something serious to worry about .
When you say side vents; do you mean the air intakes scoops? Just the other day I started my car hearing a terrible grinding and immediately shut it off. Upon inspection, the noise were a few pebbles bouncing around in the scoops. You'd be surprised what an alarming noise that is.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:18 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised Porsche is still shipping Caymans from the factory without grills protecting the intakes. I just bought the Rennline mesh kit for my Cayman R and this thread has inspired me to quickly get them installed.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:21 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

View of my drivers side intake grill with the narrow slats. My car was a September build with the newer grill installed.

We compared this to a June build car and the difference was obvious.

LND_2025 by Peter Moy, on Flickr
Old 01-27-2016, 12:26 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by PistolPete
View of my drivers side intake grill with the narrow slats. My car was a September build with the newer grill installed.

We compared this to a June build car and the difference was obvious.

LND_2025 by Peter Moy, on Flickr
Ah, never looked that far in, I was envisioning a finer mesh grill towards the front. Thanks for the pic!
Old 01-27-2016, 12:52 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,390 Likes on 721 Posts

Is there a mesh liner inside the front wheel well protecting the radiator. Earlier on with the 991 GT3 there was a recall to provide these to protect stones from punching holes in the radiator
Old 01-27-2016, 12:54 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Is there a mesh liner inside the front wheel well protecting the radiator. Earlier on with the 991 GT3 there was a recall to provide these to protect stones from punching holes in the radiator
It's there from the factory in the GT4.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:05 PM
DrPhil Gandini
Racer

The recall's official ID is WF68. You could check with your dealer if your car falls under it. As Pete says, it seems to apply to early cars and later cars have the finer grilles already installed at the factory.

BTW, talking of small rocks, I added a mod to my intakes to prevent small pebbles, rocks from jamming between the intake scoop on the rocker panel and the intake scoop that is further inside the body. (There's really three parts to the intake: the body colored scoop on the rocker panel, the black fairing also on the rocker panel, and the actual intake that is split horizontally into two parts.)
I will take some photos and try to describe what I did. It seems to have solved the problem of these small pebbles jamming at the bottom of the (rather loose) joint between the black plastic fairing and the black plastic inner scoop.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:14 PM
GRCaymanR
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had debris cleaned out of side intakes twice already with fall season in ny. The fan got leafs stuck in it both times it sounded like baseball cards in bicycle spokes.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:29 PM
NewToThis
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GRC - "leafs got stuck in...sounded like baseball cards in bike spokes..."

You are showing your age with this analogy - I too can remember just that sound. So much more simple then.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:35 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

For those of you wondering what the pieces look like prior to install.

Last edited by ExMB; 04-14-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:38 PM
DrPhil Gandini
Racer

Yes, those are the grilles installed on later delivery cars (like Pete's and mine). I still think lots of stuff can get past those things...especially as the front tires kick up a lot of small stuff that gets caught by the intake scoops.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:37 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPhil Gandini
Yes, those are the grilles installed on later delivery cars (like Pete's and mine). I still think lots of stuff can get past those things...especially as the front tires kick up a lot of small stuff that gets caught by the intake scoops.
The Purpose must be to catch bigger items then. Air filter deals with rest. With mid engined cars and side scoops you often have to "tap" rocks and dirt out of the filter

Quick Reply: First recalls done on my GT4