Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Problems with Sport Chrono & Track Precision app? Let Porsche know!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 01:56 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Problems with Sport Chrono & Track Precision app? Let Porsche know!

Hi all,

There are lots of threads on Rennlist forums about how unreliable the Sport Chrono/Track Precision combo is. It mostly comes down to Track Precision randomly deleting sessions.

I think there's a lot of promise in Track Precision and it does things that are hard to duplicate with 3rd party logging solutions...and having paid $1850, it's really annoying that it doesn't work reliably.

If you feel the same way, you should let Porsche know, as the more people they hear from, the greater the chance the problem will get fixed. I did this by:

1. Emailing Porsche.
I used the form on their site (https://my.porsche.com/usa/dialogue/...ion/contactus/) and wrote the following:

--------

I purchased my Cayman GT4 with the Sport Chrono package. I wanted the Sport Chrono package specifically so I could use it with the Porsche Track Precision app. This app is used for recording video and data when driving on a track - and driving on a track is why I purchased the GT4 in the first place.

Unfortunately, the Track Precision app is not reliable. The main problem is that the app will randomly delete sessions after they’ve been recorded. I am using the iPhone version of the app. I have had the same problem with the app when used with different versions of the iPhone operating system and different iPhone models. I have also been in touch with other Sport Chrono users - both GT4 and GT3 owners. Most of them seem to have the same issue and most have given up on using the app.

I am extremely unhappy about this situation, as the $1,850 I spent on the Sport Chrono package appears to have been wasted. I am now faced with spending at least that much money to purchase a 3rd party video and data logging solution.

--------

2. Reviewing the Track Precision app on the Apple or Google app stores.
I'm an iPhone user, so I wrote a review and rated the Track Precision app in the Apple store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pors...on/id906372410

Even if you've decided to use a 3rd party solution, you should consider contacting Porsche about Track Precision. It's a good thing to have a back to a 3rd party setup and, regardless, I don't think it's right that they've released an reliable app - particularly not when it effectively costs $1850!

If they hear from more of us, then they are more likely to do something about the problem.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:06 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default great ideo

here is my feedback that I send using the form:
Sports chrono

I purchased my Cayman GT4 with the Sport Chrono package. I wanted the Sport Chrono package specifically so I could use it with the Porsche Track Precision app. This app is used for recording video and data when driving on a track - and driving on a track is why I purchased the GT4 in the first place.

Unfortunately, the Track Precision app is not reliable. The main problem is that the app will randomly delete sessions after they’ve been recorded. I am using the iPhone version of the app. I have had the same problem with the app when used with different versions of the iPhone operating system and different iPhone models. I have also been in touch with other Sport Chrono users - both GT4 and GT3 owners. Most of them seem to have the same issue and most have given up on using the app.

I am extremely unhappy about this situation, as the $1,850 I spent on the Sport Chrono package appears to have been wasted. I am now faced with spending at least that much money to purchase a 3rd party video and data logging solution.

Besides fixing the deletion issue I also want to the following chances to make it more useful:

• Way more tracks (eg Daytona, NJMP, etc)
• No need to select a track (the gps should know which track I am at) same for a track configuration…
• No need to press stop start need to record a track (GPS and some AI should be able to figure out. Going across a finish line at speed or even slow its impossible to identify exact stop/start; I just want to say record a the beginning of a session and it will figure out what the track is regardless of how many times I go around)
• A desktop app to do analysis; I want to do that on a big screen….

Lastly I am a software architect and as such understand how easy it is to add some of the above capabilities on top of fixing the deletion issue. Looking forward to getting value out of my 1850 investment….
Old 01-25-2016, 03:16 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarcD147
here is my feedback that I send using the form:
Sports chrono

Besides fixing the deletion issue I also want to the following chances to make it more useful:

• No need to select a track (the gps should know which track I am at) same for a track configuration…
• No need to press stop start need to record a track (GPS and some AI should be able to figure out. Going across a finish line at speed or even slow its impossible to identify exact stop/start; I just want to say record a the beginning of a session and it will figure out what the track is regardless of how many times I go around)

Lastly I am a software architect and as such understand how easy it is to add some of the above capabilities on top of fixing the deletion issue. Looking forward to getting value out of my 1850 investment….
Nice! Thanks for joining the movement!
Old 01-25-2016, 05:18 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heres mine

Hi,
I purchased my Cayman GT4 with the sole intention of using it on the track.As Porsche knows, data and video feedback while participating in track events is a critical part of the experience. It seems that the 981 ECU is preventing very helpful data from being exposed via the OBD2 port, rendering all 3rd party data acquisition and video solutions pretty much useless. We reliably need throttle, wheel speed, brake pressure and would love to see some more OBD2 PIDs exposed about the cars performance, to ensure proper running conditions and a safe experience on track. Is there anything that can be updated to ensure that this data becomes exposed? I understand that there is an internal option to provide some of this data via a Porsche app, but given what I see below, its not a viable option. All help is appreciated.

Thanks

"Unfortunately, the Track Precision app is not reliable. The main problem is that the app will randomly delete sessions after they’ve been recorded. I am using the iPhone version of the app. I have had the same problem with the app when used with different versions of the iPhone operating system and different iPhone models. I have also been in touch with other Sport Chrono users - both GT4 and GT3 owners. Most of them seem to have the same issue and most have given up on using the app.

"
Old 01-25-2016, 08:55 PM
HamiltonGT4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchase the sport Chrono only to have the stop watch/clock for looks! its really sweet and don't regret it, worth every penny, and will never use the track apps
Old 01-26-2016, 12:47 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

^ you can buy the chrono w/o the track precision app etc...
Old 01-26-2016, 03:12 AM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HiWind
^ you can buy the chrono w/o the track precision app etc...
Not at ordering time 'though, right?
Old 01-26-2016, 04:57 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I ordered the chrono w/o T.P.App ... maybe not an option in US?
But yes, if its a pre-spec'd car you have no choice and have effectively 'paid'
Old 01-26-2016, 09:39 AM
xxrockmanxneoxx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U.S. you have to get the app with sport chrono. I wanted to get just the clock for looks after knowing the app sucks but the configurator would not let you
Old 01-26-2016, 10:08 AM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

...anyway, back on topic, if you've got Sport Chrono and the track app isn't working for you, please let Porsche know. It's the best way to encourage them to make it usable.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:01 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Thank you to this forum as reading this and prior posts helped and my order did not spec the Chrono package in the build!
Old 01-26-2016, 02:06 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Thank you to this forum as reading this and prior posts helped and my order did not spec the Chrono package in the build!
Ha: Maybe that's an even *better* thing to tell Porsche! "I would have spent an extra $2k with you but your app stinks so I didn't".
Old 01-26-2016, 09:12 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
Ha: Maybe that's an even *better* thing to tell Porsche! "I would have spent an extra $2k with you but your app stinks so I didn't".
Even though I did not use the Porsche Track app, I still opted for the Sports Chrono package and highly recommend it. It does come with other features including; a clock, a stop watch, and very important to me Gear Shift Assist - letting you know when you enter the "red light district" (max RPMS about to be exceeded).
Old 01-26-2016, 09:19 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone PLEASE take a snap shop of the Gear Shift Assist?
Old 01-26-2016, 09:53 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by dntlvet
Can someone PLEASE take a snap shop of the Gear Shift Assist?
Hello dntlvet,

Ok, so I just took the car out and filmed a short video clip showing the Gear Shift Assist indicator...

The yellow segments kick in at 6,500, red at 7,000 and full red at 7,500. I'm not exactly sure where the rev limiter kicks in but my guess is at 7,800. The hesitation at full red was my right foot coming off - it is instinctive habit to lift when I see full red.

Quick Reply: Problems with Sport Chrono & Track Precision app? Let Porsche know!