Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Problems with Sport Chrono & Track Precision app? Let Porsche know!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 11:56 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Marc, thanks so much, and it's good we're getting heard. My input:

More people will probably want to use this app in their local PCA autocrosses each weekend than
people who will do track days. The autocross scenario involves:

1 - A small number of permanent sites, but
2 - A different specific course on the site, every time
3 - As few as three 'laps' total, ever run (though there is always an opportunity to walk the course)
4 - Always a separate start and finish point.
5 - Wanting to see line differences of a foot or less, and driver input differences lap-to-lap,
anything that make a 0.1 second diff...

If our describing this use case stimulates the authors to make the app as helpful and easy
as possible for this, that would be great.

Full documentation that described how to do this efficiently, as well as showing how to
download and pore over the data and video at home later on a PC would be wonderful.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:14 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Marc, thanks so much, and it's good we're getting heard. My input:

More people will probably want to use this app in their local PCA autocrosses each weekend than
people who will do track days. The autocross scenario involves:

1 - A small number of permanent sites, but
2 - A different specific course on the site, every time
3 - As few as three 'laps' total, ever run (though there is always an opportunity to walk the course)
4 - Always a separate start and finish point.
5 - Wanting to see line differences of a foot or less, and driver input differences lap-to-lap,
anything that make a 0.1 second diff...

If our describing this use case stimulates the authors to make the app as helpful and easy
as possible for this, that would be great.

Full documentation that described how to do this efficiently, as well as showing how to
download and pore over the data and video at home later on a PC would be wonderful.
Aside from #1 I believe all of your scenarios are covered when the app functions properly. Though, the only thing that a known site I believe seems to impact is the live view since logging will still occur... The ghost car is a nice idea but simple +/- splits like race dashes are about the only thing I could see not being anything but distracting. Though, since I do not worry with times I will bow out of this item. In my case I am not looking at the phone screen while driving, regardless of use. I have attached a mount behind, hanging from my rollbar and run a USB extension wire, that only makes the starting a hassle since the device is not in front of me.

#5 is not an application limitation but a hardware one and best compensation is an available aftermarket GPS solution and the application supports. Not quite sure what the aftermarket products accuracy is beyond refresh.

While comprehensive documentation is certainly lacking, FergusH did a very nice job putting together several guides that should help address your list. His guides can be found at:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9199...precision.html

Returning to problems/bugs experienced:
There certainly are a few... And would probably be a good idea for us to keep a running log of these to help the Porsche app developers resolve if there is an opportunity to help improve (make useful) this option.

From a high-level the problems I have read most frequently include:
1) Deletion of recorded session
2) External GPS integration with VBox Sport visual notation but read it is appropriately using the link

What I have experienced problems with during my few test runs:
1) Logging not starting at start line on ad-hoc test route but somewhere near finish line and continuing for some unknown reason/time
2) Export of Track App logging file and importing into another iOS device. I attempted to import from iPhone sent e-mail attachment to iPad just to test and have not been able to get it to work. However, vbo export to laptop running Circuit Tools worked.

An additional feature modification I would greatly appreciate would be auto start or at least something easier than manually pressing start button and passing the start point within a set time (is it 2mins?). My apologies if this is included as I have only gone through a few tests by this point.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:29 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I tested a beta version of the update of the app today. they didn't tell me what has changes but supposedly the missing videos should be solved.

I didn't take notes of capabilities of the previous version but found the following items of note:

I installed today and made a test "track around" my block;
it seems to work fine

feedback items:

•I didn't have video for my first few sessions as the default if video off;
•It seems that default video quality (720p/30) creates much larger files than before as now I only do 40 mins of video instead of a few hours in the past
•I hadn't seen the weather data before. that was cool.
it supports up to 1080p/60

I will be testing it this weekend at NJMP for 2 days both thunder and lightning; feel free to stop by over the weekend.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:19 AM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcD147
I tested a beta version of the update of the app today. they didn't tell me what has changes but supposedly the missing videos should be solved.

I didn't take notes of capabilities of the previous version but found the following items of note:

I installed today and made a test "track around" my block;
it seems to work fine

feedback items:

•I didn't have video for my first few sessions as the default if video off;
•It seems that default video quality (720p/30) creates much larger files than before as now I only do 40 mins of video instead of a few hours in the past
•I hadn't seen the weather data before. that was cool.
it supports up to 1080p/60

I will be testing it this weekend at NJMP for 2 days both thunder and lightning; feel free to stop by over the weekend.
How did your testing at NJMP go? What are you using for a GPS input? Oh, I just saw your PM; sorry to have missed it earlier. Seems like you got what you wanted!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:23 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Default TP 1.6 is almost here...

I tested a beta version last weekend and just got the released version so I can use it on the track this weekend.

keep an eye on your app updates as it should be here soon (but it might miss the weekend)

PM me if you need the release notes

@Fergus: NJMP is coming weekend (19/20)
Old 03-31-2016, 06:19 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see the Track App update is now available on the App Store. Just downloaded it, but unfortunately after 6 trackdays in the last three weeks, we don't have another till 25 April. And I'm away this weekend so won't be able to try it out around home either.... Does it work now?
Old 03-31-2016, 06:35 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts

Now we just need the same movement for PCM and a retrofit for the new one. For the price I paid for PCM, and how many times its crashed, reset and feels extremely hot to the touch, its unacceptable
Old 04-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the first I have heard about PCM issues. Can you elaborate?
Old 04-15-2016, 03:28 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
This is the first I have heard about PCM issues. Can you elaborate?
This might just be my PCM unit, but It has been known to shut down and restart out of nowhere. Has happened about 4 seperate times. I took the car in and they re-flashed a new firmware update on it, but it has done this two separate times since.

The PCM unit feels a bit warm to the touch as well. For having spent as much as I did on the option, I find this to be unacceptable. Especially given that the M3/M4 come with so much tech standard.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:49 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

I haven't had problems in the traditional sense such as a crash or whatever, but I was trying to use the track precision app as a data source to overlay on a youtube video using dashware.

So I have a potential feature enhancement and maybe a bug. First off the .CSV file produced by the file seems to be good enough to be imported into dashware. I started defining the file. However the timestamp produced isn't helpful because it's in the form:

2016-04-01 21:32:25 +0000
Which obviously doesn't give dashware enough significant digits and further to determine how often the app logs the values. I think I read somewhere the app logs at 10Hz. So in theory I can add a column to the CSV with the proper difference calculated off of the sector time, but that's an annoying step that I dont' want to write code for in a program or spreadsheet. It would be nice if the app just logged it. Also the app should log the lap number in a separate column too. It can be calculated off the laptime column, but also another extra step that is unnecessary.

I also tried the .vbo out, and tried using the racetools (I think, I'm doing this from memory I can check my home comp later). It seems the .vbo file Dashware expects is a different version which has an identifier for the frequency in Hz in which the data was gathered. I opened the file in VI to add the Hz based off of a sample .VBO file I found online however the interpreter in dashware gave me some error when parsing the file after that. At that point it was late and I was tired so I just stopped looking at it.

I'm getting ready to write a python script to just massage the CSV data for importing into dashware.

Anyone here have any success for using the app output for data overlay in dashware or any other application? do you have a script already? (I'm lazy)

I may write a script this weekend if I get time.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:15 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
Anyone here have any success for using the app output for data overlay in dashware or any other application? do you have a script already? (I'm lazy)
I think I've used .vbo files from the Porsche Track Precision app with RaceRender and it's been successful. I say "I think" because it's possible that the .vbo files were directly from my Vbox Sport, which is what I use for a GPS feed for the Porsche app.

I'll try it again this week and see how it goes.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:38 PM
WonderWagon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Delete
Old 06-17-2016, 01:56 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Default new fixes coming...

at a recent event I identified two more problems with the TPA and after lots of emails with RaceLogic and Porsche they have identified root causes and apparently there is a new release due in a month or so which will fix my issues as well as provide further updates:

background on my issues
Old 10-21-2018, 12:46 AM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Reviving an old thread. I am not able to get the app to record any sound, even though the mic record sound setting is on and the app has the permission in the phone's setting to record audio. I'm using an LG Android. Has anyone run into the same issue?

Quick Reply: Problems with Sport Chrono & Track Precision app? Let Porsche know!