Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Help Me With Color Choice, Please (Longish)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 08:54 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Help Me With Color Choice, Please (Longish)

The GT4 is an unusual car, in that I think it actually looks really good in any color. I've narrowed it down to two: CWM and JBM (hey, not too far apart, right?). My March build / April delivery locks Wednesday, but I'm going in Monday (tomorrow) to settle things as I don't want it to lock early and cut me out of a couple of changes (my SA is off Tuesday). As some of you may remember, I wanted Dark Blue Metallic, as I like the dark exterior with contrasting wheels (I'd get silver wheels), and I'm a fan of dark blue. However, DBM is no longer available, and there is no replacement for it (PCNA has said "allocation fulfillment" is the reason DBM is no more). And, as we know, PTS is also unavailable; PCNA said it "may" become available for late builds, e.g. July. Too late for me. I also like a nice white, and my second choice upon initially ordering my GT4 was Carrara White Metallic (again with silver wheels, platinum wheels are a close second). I think this will be a nice, clean, classy look. However, I saw the black GT4 at DeMan Motorsports on Saturday, and I again have a yen for a dark color. So, I'm thinking of switching from CWM to JBM. A plus for JBM is the comment(s) I've seen stating there's a bluish tint under certain lighting conditions. A negative is that, to me, I'm really not a "black" guy and black looks a little mean and sinister, which is really not "me." (Don't listen to my former boss. OK, bosses.) One comment made here is that a dark car hides the contours of the car; I personally think the car and its lines look a bit better in a dark color. Back to CWM, it's a bright color and I think it would attract a fair amount of attention, likely more than a dark color. JBM would be a bit "stealthier," and maybe fly under the radar a bit more than a white, red, or silver. Back to CWM: it's a bright and classic color, the 911 GT3s look great in white, especially the 991s, and white provides more visibility with respect to safety; I never speed anyway. I know about the difficulty in keeping black cars clean. So, the choice? You know what they say about the SAT test...stick with your first choice (guess). BTW, I'll be getting PPF.

So, I like both colors, CWM and JBM, about equally. I'm not going to flip a coin. Believe me, I know that only I can select the color I want, and I will. I'm normally a decisive person, but in this case the choice is pretty close, despite the opposite polarity of the colors. I will decide myself, tonight or Monday morning. But, please give me your thoughts on the choice as I've outlined it. Thanks! Oh, and I'm getting silver wheels regardless of CWM or JBM (and will use a wheel protectant for brake dust), LWBs, steel brakes, leather interior, extended leather, red stitching, belts, and door pulls, leather steering wheel and shifter, dual zone climate (I actually DID flip a coin on that one, maybe it'll save an argument with my wife), auto dimming mirrors / rain sensing wipers, extended fuel tank, and all the free stuff. I plan to add alcantara visors and the leather steering column tomorrow based on my preferences and member comments. Your last chance for input is welcomed on my options list. Thanks all!
Old 01-17-2016, 09:00 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Don't get JBM if you think you're getting something with a bluish tint. There really isn't one (unless you are counting reflection from a bright blue sky).

Between JBM and CWM, I'd go for JBM.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:22 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, was thinking more of reflections. Thanks! I think you wanted the DBM, too, didn't you?
Old 01-17-2016, 09:36 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

If you like washing your car daily, go JBM. If you want to go a week or two between washing, go CWM.

The dark colors look so very good, but the price of keeping them looking that way is steep.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:40 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 367 Likes on 171 Posts

Depends on whether you identify more with Jacob or The Man in Black.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:44 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm happy you got to see a few GT4's yesterday with different options!

I'll answer your question in a purely selfish manner. We already have 2 or 3 white cars in our local group. ajw45 is all the way in Boston and will only be able to join us for drives intermittently as opposed to you who I think will be at every event we put together.

In the interest of keeping variety in the local colors, I vote you get Jet Black Metallic. Feel free to add ceramics for the amazing yellow calipers!
Old 01-17-2016, 09:53 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by 9elheven
Yeah, was thinking more of reflections. Thanks! I think you wanted the DBM, too, didn't you?
I think I wanted them all, haha.

Never picked DBM b/c it wasn't an option, but it's a fantastic color on the GT4 and would have been a contender for sure.

I had JBM for a while. I was tempted by CWM. Both are great. Can't really go wrong.

JBM shows off the curves more than CWM in sunshine. The white blows out the highlights and flattens the car a bit. That was what had made me choose black over white - when I was considering these colors.

In the other column, the white contrasts nicely with the black aero bits.

Bottom line - Darth Vader or Storm Trooper?

As it turns out, I went CR when it was all said and done (Imperial Guard?)

Old 01-17-2016, 09:55 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, I must admit the yellows look great, could get matching stitching, etc, but could also paint the calipers (but wouldn't). Black/red is nice; so is white/red.

Keep the responses coming! Thanks!
Old 01-17-2016, 10:43 PM
Drjimh
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

White is the fastest, so I would say go for white, but I am Bias. They all look great. Go with your gut! You will have no regret.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:44 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

Both are great.

I'd go with white as the visibility of dirt/dust would drive me nuts on a black car.
Had a metallic white car and it was an easy color to live with.

As far as attention I think it depends more on where you live and the concentration of sports cars. If they are rare then you'll get attention either way. If there are hot cars all over then your car may not get a second glance.

White with silver wheels will visually elongate the car and make it appear lower and sleeker. Dark wheels visually chop the car in 3 sections but also change personality to more aggressive vibe. I've had both and love each for its own unique look. I usually favor darker wheels because brake dust doesn't look as bad.

You can't make a mistake. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2016, 10:57 PM
chewy08753
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 31 Posts

I think we need a Rhodium Silver car in the group just saying
Old 01-17-2016, 10:58 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Well - if this is your first GT experience I would go White. I have a 991 GT3 and I went White because White has always been its Signature color. Plus, it provides a nice canvas if you decide to do any vinyl work. Since I did White already; my GT4 will be a different color.

Which ever color you choose you will not be disappointed
Old 01-17-2016, 11:18 PM
ccibo72
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chewy08753
I think we need a Rhodium Silver car in the group just saying
Rhodium FTW! Mine went V300 last week so I'm a bit biased.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:18 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chewy08753, don't you think I'm having enough trouble without another great color turning my head? PistolPete only has photography on his mind...can't blame him with all that fancy equipment and the great imagery he's turning out... Yes, Jimmy-D, this is my first GT car, current 993 is...dark blue, of course. 944S2 is Baltic Blue. Sensing a trend here? White would be a change...and I DO like it.

OK, guys and gals, thanks for all the input! It's CWM by a nose with JBM gaining ground on the outside, CWM, JBM, CWM and JBM neck and neck at the clubhouse turn...
Old 01-17-2016, 11:24 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Racing yellow with black wheels. Game over!

Quick Reply: Help Me With Color Choice, Please (Longish)