Sponsored by: APR

New owner checklist for arrival

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 01:20 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New owner checklist for arrival

I will be picking up my car in about two months and was wondering what items you guys who have already taken delivery wished they would have had home waiting for them upon arrival. As an example, I ordered my car cover yesterday.
Thanks for the ideas.....
Old 01-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Clear corners. I asked my SA to order them and he was kind enough to purchase them and install them for me as a courtesy.
2. Disable the horn honk on lock. Again, I asked my dealer to do this as the dealer has some kind of special took that is needed to "unlock" this feature and I can't do this at home on my own. This thing is pretty loud even with PSE off so I'm not sure how stealth I'm going to be coming in and out of the garage but the horn honking every time I lock the car, would get very annoying very fast.
3. Cargo net for the trunk.
4. Touch up paint.
5. Spare lip spoilers (big thanks to Mark here on RL and Luke at Sunset Porsche for putting the group buy together).
6. Patience... the break in period is brutal.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:53 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

Make sure they do not drill the front for a license plate - unless you are going to be putting one on
Old 01-12-2016, 01:53 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

- Alarm honk disabled by dealer via PIWIS

- Plastic trim removal tool borrowed by SA from service tech for neck pillow-ectomy (if you have LWBs)

- Clear LED side markers (not to be confused with other clear side markers!), installed for free by generous dealer or waiting at home for self installation (3 minutes tops, no tools, video on Suncoast's product page so you can see how easy it is). The part numbers are 991 631 255 05 and 991 631 256 05 for left and right.

- Frunk liner from Suncoast here (great for transporting items that are dirty or can leak, such as a jack for track days)

- Tarett stud and nut kit for calipers and brake line brackets here, and maybe a thread chaser set if your shop doesn't have one since they're not all that common and the more common thread taps aren't appropriate for this use.
This set This set
has both of the required sizes.

- 3x cases of Mobil 1 5W-50 oil (6 bottles per case) to give you enough oil for 2 changes (first one around 1K miles) plus bottles for top-offs. An oil change will take 7-8 quarts; start with 7, which will put you comfortably above minimum level, and add as necessary based on dipstick. I bought 3 cases because 1 wasn't enough for a change, 2 was more than enough for 1 change but not enough for 2, and 3 was just about right. It'll also be handy to have available if I need an oil change when 5W-50 isn't available since it's fairly uncommon.

- 2x Suncoast oil filter kit (includes O-ring and crush washer) for the above 2 oil changes here

- Castrol SRF and PFC 11 (or Ferodo DS1.11) F&R pad set for when the first set wears out, if you will be attending track days. Clark@ApexPerformance here on RL can hook you up.

- Appointment for clear bra and tint installation booked

- Alignment after 1K miles for suspension to settle, with maybe an RSS shim kit if you plan to get something reasonably aggressive and aftermarket toe links if you want to go really aggressive

Last edited by jphughan; 01-12-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:02 PM
bhk1004
Racer

Clear side markers
Frunk liner (btw there is a 15% off discount code)
Bluetooth adaptor (base stereo)
Phone mount. The one below. Expensive but I like the versitility and such. Posting a link since I haven't seen anyone mention it.
http://t-design9.com/phone_mount_981.html
Old 01-12-2016, 02:11 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by bhk1004
Phone mount. The one below. Expensive but I like the versitility and such. Posting a link since I haven't seen anyone mention it.
http://t-design9.com/phone_mount_981.html
A less expensive phone mount option is the Kenu Airframe, or Airframe+ for phablets. My wife flies around for work 2-3 days per week, and since she prefers smaller cars when she gets rentals, she often doesn't get models with built-in nav, so she uses this thing constantly while on the road and loves it.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:46 PM
Dave C4S Cab
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

clear LED corners
Front and rear trunk liners
All season mats
Jackpoint jackstands
Old 01-12-2016, 11:15 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
- 3x cases of Mobil 1 5W-50 oil (6 bottles per case) to give you enough oil for 2 changes (first one around 1K miles) plus bottles for top-offs. An oil change will take 7-8 quarts; start with 7, which will put you comfortably above minimum level, and add as necessary based on dipstick. I bought 3 cases because 1 wasn't enough for a change, 2 was more than enough for 1 change but not enough for 2, and 3 was just about right. It'll also be handy to have available if I need an oil change when 5W-50 isn't available since it's fairly uncommon.
The GT4 has a dipstick to manually check the oil level???
Old 01-12-2016, 11:24 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
The GT4 has a dipstick to manually check the oil level???
Electronic dipstick. Sorry for getting your hopes up!
Old 01-13-2016, 12:00 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Electronic dipstick. Sorry for getting your hopes up!
That's what I thought.
I hate the electronic dipsticks. Hard to trust (even though so far no troubles with our Porsches).
We had the elec dipstick on our SL55AMG "go bad" and our service tech ordered the manual dipstick that they use in the shop. We much prefer manual check but it seems to be a thing of the past.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:31 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
That's what I thought.
I hate the electronic dipsticks. Hard to trust (even though so far no troubles with our Porsches).
We had the elec dipstick on our SL55AMG "go bad" and our service tech ordered the manual dipstick that they use in the shop. We much prefer manual check but it seems to be a thing of the past.
So the SL55 actually has a way to use a manual dipstick conveniently and just comes without one? What do they use to seal off the dip stick tube normally? Just a cap??

I'm not a fan of the electronic dipstick either based on my M3 experience. I once had it jump from 3/4 to the top down to minimum level while on the freeway in the evening on the way to a track weekend, and 10W-60 oil isn't exactly easy to come by. I barely made it to a dealership en route before closing to buy more, and then it took a lot of driving asking it to remeasure before it actually updated. I finally figured out how to get it to update more quickly and never had another sudden massive drop like that, but it was aggravating. At least Porsche's manual explains how to get a good reading: drive long enough to get to operating temp, park the car on a level surface, kill engine, wait 1 minute, refresh reading. It's too early to tell how reliable it will prove to be, but my fingers are crossed.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:46 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Especially for those of us in 'winter' states...

Indoor car cover
Battery Tender (or similar)
Old 01-13-2016, 01:20 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

- good radar detector for the drive home
- this may sound/look kinda silly to some - but if you have deviated color stitching in your steering wheel consider a pair of driving gloves. The oil from your hands will attract dirt to the stitching and soon the places where you hold the wheel will be stained.
- a second wheel hanger - Porsche should provide 1 with the car. Buying a second will make it easier to re-install a wheel. Reverse Logic sells one for Porsches at a reasonable price.
- a pair of "disposable" floor mats - especially if you have factory mats embroidered with "GT4"
Old 01-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Ralph,
You might ask for a print out from the PDI alignment.

Rob
Old 01-13-2016, 03:01 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rob VN
Ralph,
You might ask for a print out from the PDI alignment.

Rob
PDI includes an alignment??? I didn't know that.... According to AP though it's still worth getting an alignment after at least 1K miles since the suspension will have settled, so even if it's spot on at delivery it may not stay that way.

Quick Reply: New owner checklist for arrival