Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

wheel lug bolts

Old 01-09-2016, 02:20 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
Default wheel lug bolts

Being the picky Bastard I am, you would have thought I would have noticed that my wheel bolt lugs all seem to be scratched
I was at a friends house and his wife came home and was lovin' the car and then her eyes went to the wheels and she said Humm you bolts look scratched
Problem is I never took off my wheels ... It's as if the wheels were removed and then put back on with a standard socket ... Wouldn't Porsche or the dealer have used a nylon or protective insert to protect if they removed the wheel bolts ?
Does anyone one else suffer from this ?
Do they take the wheels bolts off for a PDI ?
Pictures to follow tomorrow
TIA
Regards
Ed
PS they are not ripped to pieces they just have scratches and blemishes on them on the outer most edges
Old 01-09-2016, 02:37 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

From what I've seen, most of the plastic inserts in the lug sockets wrap around the outside of the thing to prevent scratches on the wheel surface around the bolt.

I'm not sure if a plastic surface on the inside would be able to sustain the constant torque forces when tightening the bolt.

That said, I have this socket from Amazon that has a design to not grip the edge of the bolt when tightening.

Amazon.com: Sunex 284319 1/2-Inch Drive 19-mm Extra Long Thin Wall Wheel Protector Impact Socket: Automotive Amazon.com: Sunex 284319 1/2-Inch Drive 19-mm Extra Long Thin Wall Wheel Protector Impact Socket: Automotive

Let see the photos of how deep the scratches are. My old bolts on the Cayman all started to look like crap and rust after a few years.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:04 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Thanks Pete
I see that item you posted does two things, it protects the wheel from being scratched and seems to have an aluminum socket, as to not scratch the bolt head.
I have been using for yrs an aluminum 19mm socket make for the anodized 944 lug nuts and it works ... but its not perfect ( no protective outside collar ( not really needed )
What's really weird is that these were already scratched !!!
I never laid a wrench on them yet...
I will post picts tomorrow
Thanks bud
Old 01-09-2016, 11:18 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Bolts get scratched. Plastic protective sheaths exist to protect the wheel finish, but I'd be surprised if they were used as standard practice even at a Porsche dealer, although this being my first Porsche I have no experience on which to base that assumption. But at least the lugs are cheap to replace if this really bothers you....
Old 01-09-2016, 08:54 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PistolPete
From what I've seen, most of the plastic inserts in the lug sockets wrap around the outside of the thing to prevent scratches on the wheel surface around the bolt.

I'm not sure if a plastic surface on the inside would be able to sustain the constant torque forces when tightening the bolt.

That said, I have this socket from Amazon that has a design to not grip the edge of the bolt when tightening.

Amazon.com: Sunex 284319 1/2-Inch Drive 19-mm Extra Long Thin Wall Wheel Protector Impact Socket: Automotive

Let see the photos of how deep the scratches are. My old bolts on the Cayman all started to look like crap and rust after a few years.
Hey Pete
Below are some pictures They all look like these

Originally Posted by jphughan
Bolts get scratched. Plastic protective sheaths exist to protect the wheel finish, but I'd be surprised if they were used as standard practice even at a Porsche dealer, although this being my first Porsche I have no experience on which to base that assumption. But at least the lugs are cheap to replace if this really bothers you....
I hear ya but at least deliver the car without the scratches ??
Remember you talking to a guy who wraps his wrenches so not to scratch the plated nuts and bolts
I wonder if anyone else, has wheel bolts that look like these ?
What do they run for a full set ? I think a sharpie will hide most of this for a while but will wash off
Are these bolts aluminum ?
Attached Images   
Old 01-09-2016, 09:01 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine are starting to look like that, but then I've had warranty work done where the wheels were actually taken off. Worse is even my wheel locks has some of the same wear, but it really doesn't bother me. Sharpie is the easy solution. You could also use some gun blueing solution like Birchwood Casey Super Blue as I believe the bolts are hardened steel.

Last edited by soupy; 01-09-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:03 PM
ccibo72
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Almost looks like impact wrench torque. Does the dealer use impact or hand tighten/torque?
Old 01-09-2016, 09:20 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd say forget about it. These are GT cars meant for the track and to be driven. Don't let the little things bother you.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soupy
Mine are starting to look like that, but then I've had warranty work done where the wheels were actually taken off. Worse is even my wheel locks has some of the same wear, but it really doesn't bother me. Sharpie is the easy solution. You could also use some gun blueing solution like Birthwood Casey Super Blue as I believe the bolts are hardened steel.
Thx... Sorry about your warranty work, I was following those posts
Yea, I think they did some work on the car, after it was delivered to port, and they must have removed the wheels hence the scratches ???
So they are steel ? They must be black oxide plated ?
Originally Posted by ccibo72
Almost looks like impact wrench torque. Does the dealer use impact or hand tighten/torque?
Impact would be my guess judging from they way these look
I wonder if they remove the wheels or tighten the bolts during a PDI ?
regards
Ed
Old 01-09-2016, 09:35 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by soupy
Mine are starting to look like that, but then I've had warranty work done where the wheels were actually taken off. Worse is even my wheel locks has some of the same wear, but it really doesn't bother me. Sharpie is the easy solution. You could also use some gun blueing solution like Birthwood Casey Super Blue as I believe the bolts are hardened steel.
I saw you're looking to sell. I suspect because of what happened to you. I hope you don't and that the car will redeem itself.
Good luck!
Old 01-09-2016, 09:35 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Hey Pete Below are some pictures They all look like these I hear ya but at least deliver the car without the scratches ?? Remember you talking to a guy who wraps his wrenches so not to scratch the plated nuts and bolts I wonder if anyone else, has wheel bolts that look like these ? What do they run for a full set ? I think a sharpie will hide most of this for a while but will wash off Are these bolts aluminum ?
Didn't I tell you I'm using my fingers to take the bolts off and screw them back on?! No scratches.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:38 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aualexa2
I'd say forget about it. These are GT cars meant for the track and to be driven. Don't let the little things bother you.
LOL its the little things that get me goin'
but I hear ya I just think sloppy work should not be the norm ..
Coming from a bit of a neurotic
Old 01-09-2016, 09:43 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I saw you're looking to sell. I suspect because of what happened to you. I hope you don't and that the car will redeem itself.
Good luck!
We shall see. It was great driving it around today with it being pretty much perfect again. It was such a clusterf@#% of problems that all happened in a span of 2-3 weeks that nearly made me throw in the towel.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:51 PM
Stigs Cousin
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Ed,

It looks like impact wrench abuse to me.Steel or hard anodized aluminum will all suffer from a moron with an impact wrench running 125PSI line pressure.Sorry to see that, very annoying.
Scott
Old 01-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stigs Cousin
Hey Ed,

It looks like impact wrench abuse to me.Steel or hard anodized aluminum will all suffer from a moron with an impact wrench running 125PSI line pressure.Sorry to see that, very annoying.
Scott
I agree poor execution by Porsche or the dealer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wheel lug bolts