GT4 Clubsport Racing for first time at the Daytona Roar before the 24

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:21 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts
Default GT4 Clubsport Racing for first time at the Daytona Roar before the 24

Saw this article today...

"As it is, the GS list includes three of the new Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsports from Bodymotion Racing, Muehlner Motorsports America and DeMan Motorsport, respectively." full article here

I'm very interested to hear how they do in comparison to the street GT4s. I know John at BGB saw a top speed of 165 and best time of about 2:04.

Since this is an IMSA event, and not a PCA club race, I believe there can be mods to make the cars go faster. Does anyone know what kind of tires they will be running?
Old 01-04-2016, 06:41 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Matt,
I saw that Daman Motorports had a gt4-'R' on thier Instagram this weekend. I never heard about a gt4r so thought it likely just a stripper gt4. Thinking about it now, inside of the tub was white with (I think) black color, so possible a real clubsport afterall?

Happy New Year btw. Sebring in a couple weeks, hope to see you there!
Old 01-04-2016, 06:57 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by number 9
Hey Matt,
I saw that Daman Motorports had a gt4-'R' on thier Instagram this weekend. I never heard about a gt4r so thought it likely just a stripper gt4. Thinking about it now, inside of the tub was white with (I think) black color, so possible a real clubsport afterall?

That car had a 6-speed stick and the ClubSport is PDK only. Must be another car we haven't seen yet...
Old 01-04-2016, 07:00 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by PistolPete
That car had a 6-speed stick and the ClubSport is PDK only. Must be another car we haven't seen yet...
Unlike over recent years where a manufacturer had enough input to stop a team from building their own IMSA race car, it has been opened up to privateers to build cars. Some of you know my trials and tribulations over not being allowed to build a 991 for IMSA over the last 4 years. It is now legal for entrants to build a car from scratch. Rick's shop built his car from scratch with all GT4 bits and it's a nice piece from A to Z.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:29 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

So if I have it correct, Porsche builds the race-ready GT4 Clubsport.

It can be raced in the PCA Club racing events as-built in the spec series. Or, it can be raced at IMSA events, presumably under a different set of IMSA rules. And, since the IMSA events are not spec events, it can include the non-spec home built GT4s, like Deman Motorsports.

Edit: Will see how the manual Daman car fares versus the factory cars - will be cool to learn more!

Last edited by matttheboatman; 01-04-2016 at 08:43 PM. Reason: killed question, pondered differences between Factory built and Race team built
Old 01-04-2016, 09:14 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,987 Likes on 560 Posts

I'll be there with my team. not sure why we're excluded from the press release as we're racing two cars in GS this year.

we have to run on the Continental Tires, which we have a couple years of experience with having been in the series for 3-4 years.

In regards to lap times- 2:04 is a fast ST car time. These cars are GS spec and should be running 1:55-1:57 or so depending on how trimmed out they are in a straight line, if they're in a draft, and how pro the driver really is... I believe the mustang did a 1:56 or so last year to set the GS record.

Daytona is all about top speed, and GS cars can reach 175mph here in a draft. I'll definitely report as to my driving impressions
Old 01-04-2016, 11:27 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'll definitely report as to my driving impressions
Subscribed. Good luck. Please post some photos.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:29 PM
MrNurse
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will this be on TV? I have a hard time recording motorsports on tv. I'm only successful w recording F1 and horrible w recording the continental tires series.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:06 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'll be there with my team. not sure why we're excluded from the press release as we're racing two cars in GS this year.

we have to run on the Continental Tires, which we have a couple years of experience with having been in the series for 3-4 years.

In regards to lap times- 2:04 is a fast ST car time. These cars are GS spec and should be running 1:55-1:57 or so depending on how trimmed out they are in a straight line, if they're in a draft, and how pro the driver really is... I believe the mustang did a 1:56 or so last year to set the GS record.

Daytona is all about top speed, and GS cars can reach 175mph here in a draft. I'll definitely report as to my driving impressions
Very cool CJ.

Good luck, will you be running it as #33 from your original livery?

Note; I noticed on the IMSA page they don't have the CJ Wilson racing team listed - someone has dropped the ball! Thanks for representing the GT4 - makes us street guys feel good we are running something similar to the real deal.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:10 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by number 9
Hey Matt,
Hello Number 9,

Unfortunately, I can't make it out to the PBOC Winterfest at Sebring - just too much going on in January. Sebring is on my bucket list. I will get there one day! Enjoy the GT4. BTW, I think your GT Silver looks awesome!
Old 01-05-2016, 08:58 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 202 Posts

DeMan Motorsport will be attending the ROAR with our GT4-R built specifically for the Continental tire series.
It will be a whole lot of fun to see how we stack up against the Factory GT4 CS cars.

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 01-05-2016, 10:00 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,979 Likes on 1,759 Posts

^^^ Yes it will! Good luck to everyone... we'll be watching
Old 01-05-2016, 05:23 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
DeMan Motorsport will be attending the ROAR with our GT4-R built specifically for the Continental tire series.
It will be a whole lot of fun to see how we stack up against the Factory GT4 CS cars.
VERY COOL! BEST OF LUCK.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:30 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Agreed! Best of luck to the RL clan - this Will be awesome!
Please post details from practice etc... And links for streaming if there is
Cheers!
Old 01-06-2016, 08:49 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan

Rick, besides yourself, who has driving duties.

Charlie

Quick Reply: GT4 Clubsport Racing for first time at the Daytona Roar before the 24