Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 colors, the definitive reference!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 11:27 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts
Default GT4 colors, the definitive reference!

I was asked about my take on colors on another thread since I've probably seen more GT4's in person than almost anyone here.

What started as a simple reply became a book with photos. So rather than have it buried in another thread I started a new one.

Feel free to add your own photos and opinions on the colors.

Voodoo Blue - The most unique and eye catching. A color that is simultaneously "fun" and eye-catching. It puts a smile on my face immediately. But we can't get it anymore so it's a moot point. Those that have this color or any other PTS color, please take good care of them and drive them as much as possible. You truly have a unique color on a unique car.

LND_2588 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

LND_2593 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

Sapphire Blue metallic - I love it and it makes you go wow, especially with black wheels and in full sun. This color was my other choice beside Agate but after some internal debating, I couldn't deal with the constant high visibility this color would subject me to. Good thing my friend and road trip buddy is getting a SBM GT4 next spring so that I'll have plenty of chances to stare at that color next summer. Too bad I couldn't convince him to get black wheels however!

LND_2362 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

Agate Grey metallic - What can I say, I picked this with black wheels. It's not as dark as I would've preferred. I was trying to replicate the look of this PTS 997 GT3-RS that literally stopped me in my tracks back in 2011:

_LND9756 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

_LND9761 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

_LND9766 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

_LND9751 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

I believe this color is Slate Grey but I'm not 100% sure. Sadly this car is no more. It was lost in the flooding after Superstorm Sandy in 2012.

Anyway, this color for me is both aggressive and stealthy, think fighter jet.

LND_7407 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

LND_0922 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

LND_0935 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

LND_9045 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

LND_2473 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

The stealth aspect also works for any dirt on the surface. The car will appear clean for a much longer period of time between washes if that is important to you. I drove my old Meteor Grey Cayman S 7500 miles from NYC to California and back and the car looked good from 5 feet away.

Carrara White Metallic - Think Cup car and also a blank canvas for any stripes or graphics you may want to put on the car. The metallic flake is very subtle to my eye and I need to be right up on the paint in sunlight to pick up the details of the flake. You'll need to be more cognizant with your choice of clear bra material however because any yellowing of the bra will be seriously "enhanced" with this color.

LND_2817 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

LND_2888 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

Guards Red - eye catching and bright. Ties in with the brake calipers. Add some red seat belts and black wheels and you have an aggressive and visible color. That's exactly the color combo a friend of mine got for his new Boxster Spyder and that car is a looker. I hope to get more detailed photos of it soon to show you what I'm talking about.

LND_2833 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

LND_2367 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

Carmine Red - everything I said about Guards Red only with more RED. Think Heinz ketchup red. Guards Red will look red until you put it next to Carmine. Then you'll see the orange hue in the Guards Red. I actually thought Guards Red was Lava orange when sonorous pulled up and parked next to JohanS430's Carmine.

LND_2598 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

LND_1673 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

Dark Blue Metallic - Low key color. The paint is deep and rich with lots of metallic flaking when viewed up close in sunlight. Ties in well with the blacked out headlights and other dark bits around the GT4 exterior. Again this is a moot point because the color is no longer available.

LND_2093-2 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

LND_2097 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

Jet Black Metallic - it's black. Looks amazing but be prepared to be constantly cleaning it unfortunately. My first car was black and never again for me. Did I say it looks amazing? If I had a detailer on perpetual retainer and someone else was flipping the bill, this would've been my color choice.

GT Silver - Makes the car appear to be extruded from a solid bar of metal. Shows off the curves and details of the car very well, especially on a Boxster Spyder that has a large expanse of unbroken paint on the rear hatch. The only color that tops this is the $60,000 Liquid Silver Metallic option on the 918 Spyder.

Paul Miller Grand Opening by Peter Moy, on Flickr

LND_2615 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

LND_2632-2 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

Rhodium Silver - A very unique color with the blue tinge that is very obvious. Looks like nothing else on the road. I haven't had a chance to see it in full sunlight yet unfortunately.

LND_1726 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

LND_1727 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

Last edited by PistolPete; 12-29-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:38 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pics Pete! Agree with you on SBM, it's fantastic in the sun and lol on Jet black!
With you 100% on that.. Amazing color but never again for me either.
That last guards red almost looks like carmine.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:43 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Side by side with Carmine on the left and Guards on the right.

LND_2163 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

It can be really hard to see and photograph the difference unless they are next to each other.

I'm trying to confirm if that second red is Guards or Carmine, I'm 90% sure it's Carmine.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:09 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Carrera White Metallic - Think Cup car and also a blank canvas for any stripes or graphics you may want to put on the car. The metallic flake is very subtle to my eye and I need to be right up on the paint in sunlight to pick up the details of the flake. You'll need to be more cognizant with your choice of clear bra material however because any yellowing of the bra will be seriously "enhanced" with this color.

LND_2817 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

LND_2888 by Peter Moy, on Flickr
Just wanted to add that the first picture is my car and it is also the one on the right in the 2nd pic and to note it has full XPEL Ultimate PPF wrap in these pics.

Great pics Pete. Would love to use the first one as my wallpaper on a 4K display. Any chance I can get a higher resolution version from you?
Old 12-29-2015, 12:10 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jenner
Just wanted to add that the first picture is my car and it is also the one on the right in the 2nd pic and to note it has full XPEL Ultimate PPF wrap in these pics.
Will your car turn into Racing Yellow in a year from now? LOL I kid I kid!!

The key here is FULL WRAP.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:20 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Will your car turn into Racing Yellow in a year from now? LOL I kid I kid!!

The key here is FULL WRAP.
Ultimate has a 10 year warranty so I'm not worried
Old 12-29-2015, 12:30 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Great thread, but the metallic white is called Carrara White.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:33 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Originally Posted by jphughan
Great thread, but the metallic white is called Carrara White.
Oops, will correct this. Thanks!
Old 12-29-2015, 12:36 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

I just realized Lockheed forgot the deviated stitching option on this!

Old 12-29-2015, 12:42 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

That vinyl seat cover probably cost us $100k alone.. Hopefully contrasting stitching was free.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:42 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Great thread! I'll add my favorite color:

Old 12-29-2015, 12:44 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Millions of dollars for that jet and no LWBs! Wtf!?!

Just kidding, great pics Pete!
Old 12-29-2015, 02:13 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Black

Old 12-29-2015, 02:19 PM
MrNurse
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the writeup Pete!
Have you been able to see the CWM next to the standard White? I really like the depth and bluish/silverish tint of the CWM when the two are side-by-side although I wasn't able to notice the metallic flakes on the GT4 I saw in person and probably would've guessed that it was just white.

I love how JBM looks! I almost pulled the trigger on a Basalt Black Metallic 997.2 Turbo which I feel looks slightly better than JBM. I had a black Boxster S and told myself never again, but every time I see a Metallic black Porsche in a showroom, I just drool.

I also saw the sample paint at Porsche of the Guards Red vs. Carmine Red next to each other and almost thought the Guards Red was an orange!

Guess which is which lol
Old 12-29-2015, 02:25 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Top white is Carrara White Metallic. Can't see the metallic flake in the picture but you can see the neutral non yellow tone/hue.

Bottom white has yellow hue to it so must be the free/plain white.

Quick Reply: GT4 colors, the definitive reference!