GT4 colors, the definitive reference!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 07:19 AM
2WheelsRBetter
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Swedenspyder
Attachment 1008753

Minus 18 Centigrades yesterday (1.4 F) - icy dry roads.
GT silver color and Michelin Alpine tyres
Beautiful! I ordered GT Silver with platinum wheels and am very pleased by the look of your car. Are those wheels platinum? Looks fantastic. I too live where it is cold and snowy for months. Are those Alpines spooned over the stock 20" wheels? Do they come in the same size as the summer wheels or did you have to adapt alternative sizes? How does it handle in the snow? I'm currently in an xDrive 435i lowered on Dinan springs and Bilsteins and am very curious about setting my GT4 up for winter.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:48 AM
Swedenspyder
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Michelin Alpine N0 winter tyres with the same dimensions as the Michelin Cup 2 tyres on my platinum GT4 wheels. I would have preferred the Porsche Tequipment Sport Techno winter wheels with more narrow dimension (part number 981 044 600 30), but the price was too steep for me (USD 8274).
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1491
Size:  199.9 KB

Total mileage for the car is 10,500 miles whereof the last 2,500 miles is on the Alpine set. Immediately I noticed less road noise and slightly less fuel consumption when on the winter tyres. They are OK on snowy white roads but a bit less so on glare ice (not unexpected). Performance on wet and slushy roads is comparable to any other powerful rear-wheel driven 2wd car on friction tyres with no studs. Good fun overall but the twitchiness is somewhat annoying when you overtake a string of cars in succession. Better do it cautiously in top gear to avoid fish tailing...
(My Subaru AWD wagon is less tiring to drive in those conditions).
One definite advantage with the Autoblip function is that you can make very smooth downshifts without losing directional control on downhill icy patches. I have not dared tried switching off the ABS, traction and skid controls yet - will try later on in March when I have more experience...
As expected climate/defroster control, lights and brakes work excellently. In summary the GT4 is a good (but not excellent) winter car. Still very satisfying to drive, but you need to concentrate hard now and then (with that power ratio..).

Quick Reply: GT4 colors, the definitive reference!