Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
Who was your installer?
Musicar in Portland Oregon. They do good work. Mark
Old 01-03-2016, 02:29 PM
dmfl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone knows if the OEM rear camera can display on CD-R+ screen (not PCM) when reverse is engaged? Heard that it's just plug & play... Appreciate a confirmation on this, thanks!
Old 01-03-2016, 04:28 PM
acey81
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dmfl
Anyone knows if the OEM rear camera can display on CD-R+ screen (not PCM) when reverse is engaged? Heard that it's just plug & play... Appreciate a confirmation on this, thanks!
Yes it can.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:52 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acey81
Yes it can.
Not according to Bobby at NAVTV. A few months back he was certain that I had to order PCM in order to do the plug and play NavTV route.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Not according to Bobby at NAVTV. A few months back he was certain that I had to order PCM in order to do the plug and play NavTV route.
PCM 3.1 is required for both of NavTV's solutions, according to their site:

https://navtv.com/products/category/..._2016_usa.html
Old 01-03-2016, 11:02 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

FYI, specific to NAV TV there are two different controllers, one for one input (e.g. rear camera) and one for dual camera inputs (e.g. front and rear cameras) so you need to order the right one from the start, the latter costing a little more. You can't simply install a rear camera and then decide later to add a front camera if you don't have the dual input controller.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:39 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
PCM 3.1 is required for both of NavTV's solutions, according to their site:

https://navtv.com/products/category/..._2016_usa.html
What's strange is that both CDR+ and PCM use the same software (except of course for maps) and the same hardware, and I can't imagine how map software would be relevant to rear camera functionality. But I don't know anybody who has attempted to install NavTV on a CDR+ car.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:30 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

So no camera solutions for those with the base CDR?
Old 01-04-2016, 09:36 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by switchface
So no camera solutions for those with the base CDR?
None I've seen that integrate with the head unit. Base CDR is different hardware, and adding the factory rear camera on other Porsches requires you to select CDR+ or PCM, which incidentally is another reason I'd bet that NavTV will work with CDR+ since in software it just emulates the factory option. Remember, the NavTV guys are making products for a whole range of car makes, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were wrong about needing PCM. Hell, even we who obsess over Porsches and their options sometimes find ourselves confused over what a given option gets you, so I can't blame them for being confused too!
Old 01-05-2016, 01:22 PM
dmfl
Advanced

Thanks.

May be you guys don't have this in the US, the CD-R+ (Sits between the base CD-R and PCM) have the same head units and display as PCM but without gps nav. So I'm guessing this could be done, but wish to confirm before I order the OEM camera set...
Old 01-05-2016, 01:33 PM
dmfl
Advanced

Originally Posted by jphughan
None I've seen that integrate with the head unit. Base CDR is different hardware, and adding the factory rear camera on other Porsches requires you to select CDR+ or PCM

Thanks JP
My car comes with CD-R+ and have seen others add this after market for other models (to avoid 110% of first registration tax)....so this should work.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:47 PM
stingray84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can also confirm that NavTV works with CD-R+. I have this installed on mine.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:25 AM
stovesax
Track Day

Apologies for my ignorance, but what is the difference between the navtv option and the other options available (that also happen to be much less expensive:
Amazon.com: Esky EC135-05 Waterproof High Definition Color Wide Viewing Angle License Plate Car Rear View Camera with 7 Infrared Night Vision LED: Automotive Amazon.com: Esky EC135-05 Waterproof High Definition Color Wide Viewing Angle License Plate Car Rear View Camera with 7 Infrared Night Vision LED: Automotive
)
Old 01-09-2016, 12:36 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by stovesax
Apologies for my ignorance, but what is the difference between the navtv option and the other options available (that also happen to be much less expensive: Amazon.com: Esky EC135-05 Waterproof High Definition Color Wide Viewing Angle License Plate Car Rear View Camera with 7 Infrared Night Vision LED: Automotive)
guessing here but it seems that the Porsche one is more expensive ( Surprise ) Seems like it might be fiber optic ???
Old 01-09-2016, 07:41 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by stovesax
Apologies for my ignorance, but what is the difference between the navtv option and the other options available (that also happen to be much less expensive: Amazon.com: Esky EC135-05 Waterproof High Definition Color Wide Viewing Angle License Plate Car Rear View Camera with 7 Infrared Night Vision LED: Automotive)

That one is just the camera and probably not a high quality one...the beauty about the NAV TV option is that with their module (which you still need besides the camera) you don't have to cut or splice any cables. It's a plug-n-play affair connecting it to the PCM and it gets recognize by the PCM software.

Quick Reply: GT4 backup camera