Sponsored by: APR

GT4 backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 03:39 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Do people with gt4 have trouble pulling fwd into spaces for fear of hitting the cement parking blocks that most spaces have? How do you judge those? Perfect front camera situation?
Closest I got to one was 4 inches
You have to error on the safe side
Old 12-28-2015, 04:26 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Closest I got to one was 4 inches
You have to error on the safe side
Agree. Fortunately the car is quite short so your *** doesn't hang out.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:08 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Do people with gt4 have trouble pulling fwd into spaces for fear of hitting the cement parking blocks that most spaces have? How do you judge those? Perfect front camera situation?
Anothers have already said, you pull in conservatively, and luckily the car is short enough that (at least in Texas-sized parking spaces ) you can be several inches away from the curb and still be far enough into the spot. My wife's Mini is the same way, in fact their somewhat cheeky Quick Start guide advises owners to do this to avoid creating a "phantom spot" situation for others where the space appears to be open until the driver gets right next to it only to see your short little car deep in it.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:30 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Are you doing the install yourself? If yes, let us know on the best way to take out the PCM. Thanks in advance.
did that on my gt3, its pretty easy. you need to pry out the trim around the shifter and then start to remove some screws, the PCM slides out after that IIRC
Old 12-28-2015, 04:14 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
did that on my gt3, its pretty easy. you need to pry out the trim around the shifter and then start to remove some screws, the PCM slides out after that IIRC
Thanks!
Old 01-01-2016, 11:36 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Thanks!
sat in the car after writing that and remembered that the leather panels on each side of there need to come off too. make sure you pop them out and then pull them back, or something like that. they have clips in there and iirc i broke one
Old 01-01-2016, 11:42 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
sat in the car after writing that and remembered that the leather panels on each side of there need to come off too. make sure you pop them out and then pull them back, or something like that. they have clips in there and iirc i broke one
The video on this site may help with that part: http://t-design9.com/sunglass_holder_981.html
Old 01-02-2016, 12:39 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I installed NavTV on mine and love it. It was 1200 installed, but well worth it. Space is tight with 3 cars in my garage so it helps me park it perfectly every time. I just line it up with red tape I put on the floor.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:16 PM
stingray84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sitting low in LWB makes it get difficult to see what's behind. Also have NavTV installed. Very happy with the result.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:36 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

So with his navtv module, can you install a front camera and then have it show through the stock PCM/navigation screen?
Old 01-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

So with his navtv module, can you install a front camera and then have it show through the stock PCM/navigation screen?
Yup. See this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9035...l#post12844187
Old 01-02-2016, 02:24 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

You get used to guessing the distance and over time. I've been able to stop within six inches of the block in most instances. But approach slowly.

You can use the rear wing itself as a reference point of the rear when backing up.

Just takes practice unless you are routinely in some J-turn situations.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:28 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes you can. It accepts both a front and rear camera and best of all they can be called to display at all times even when you are driving the car so I use my back up camera as rear view mirror and since it a wide angle I can see all of my blind spots, which is helpful during heavy traffic, also comes handy on the track. I have installed the back up camera on my GT3 and my GT4. As to your comment regarding estimating the front distance when pulling forward into a spot, I really have a hard time with the GT3 and my front lip ended up contacting the curb on couple of occasions, but never on the GT4, and every time I get it right with few inches to spare. So I would say you would need a front camera for the GT3, but not really needed on the GT4. Mark
Old 01-03-2016, 03:42 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I guess it doesn't come with it.
Anyone put on in?
For more information about the camera and also the radar/laser installation on my various Porsches please see link below. It has detailed pictures of the finished installation and also copies of the manual of the various components used. I also included some videos of pcm screen while operating the camera and examining the blind spots. Mark

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0YGWZuqDGvATkP
Old 01-03-2016, 04:48 AM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
For more information about the camera and also the radar/laser installation on my various Porsches please see link below. It has detailed pictures of the finished installation and also copies of the manual of the various components used. I also included some videos of pcm screen while operating the camera and examining the blind spots. Mark

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0YGWZuqDGvATkP
Who was your installer?

Quick Reply: GT4 backup camera