Brake pad swap - PITA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 05:49 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake pad swap - PITA?

Hey guys,

I swapped pads myself for the first time today and it ended up being a MAJOR PITA compared to some of the other cars I owned. Just wanted to check whether it is indeed just the way it is, or whether it was self inflicted and something I am doing?

The major thing for me was that I was not able to slide the caliper off the rotor without unbolting the metal bracket at the back of the caliper that holds the steel brake line in place. Getting this bracket bolted back in ended up being an exercising in frustration and trying to chew off my own wrists as it is a flex bracket and the two bolts are blind. Am I doing something wrong and is there a way to slide the caliper off without unbolting this bracket? Also, if it is indeed needed to come off, is there some kind of trick to making bolting it back on easier?

Any help will be appreciated...thx
Old 12-16-2015, 05:52 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Nope - same brakes at the GT3. A royal PITA to swap pads.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:00 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Remember that thread about the caliper bolts, etc, group buy?
Old 12-16-2015, 06:02 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the brake calipers and pads the same as the GT3? Exact same part numbers??
Old 12-16-2015, 06:04 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You're not doing it wrong, and in fact you may not be aware of this, but the bolts holding the caliper in the upright are technically single-use; they're supposed to be replaced every time you loosen them. This is why people buy Tarett Engineering's caliper stud and nut kits. And since others have shared your frustration in dealing with the brake line brackets, Tarett also now makes a stud and nut kit for those pieces as well.

Last edited by jphughan; 12-16-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:14 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
You're not doing it wrong, and in fact you may not be aware of this, but the bolts holding the caliper in the upright are technically single-use; they're supposed to be replaced every time you loosen them. This is why people buy Tarett Engineering's caliper stud and nut kits. And since others have shared your frustration in dealing with the brake line brackets, Tarett also now makes a stud and nut kid for those pieces as well.
Thx, good info. I already have the Tarret caliper bolts installed, so that gets around the single use issue, but I was not aware of the stud and nut kit for the brake line bracket, so I am going to check that out right away.

Update: Just ordered the stud kit for the brake line bolts. Great idea from Tarret. Thx for the info. Should make life a lot easier!! Whoop Whoop!
Old 12-16-2015, 07:04 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

This is why I'm glad that I got the caliper studs and brake line studs installed when I put my Endless pads on. Will make for easier pads swaps in the future.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

I didn't think the pad swap was too bad when I did it, but I was using a lift.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:08 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

They are superior to the old style cheaper to manufacture is more like it...but stiffer I'd expect at least.

Giant pain in the posterior....and while studs make it easier (and cheaper long term because you're not ordering $100 of bolts every time you change pads), there is another very very good reason to convert to studs (or a stoptech BBK for that matter). The carrier is aluminium, and very easy to cross thread....and that my friends sucks a great deal.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:51 PM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about part numbers, but the pad shapes, caliper bodies and disc diameters are all the same as the 991 GT3. But there could be subtle differences not visible like different piston sizes, bell offsets, etc...

The new 991 GT3 / 981 GT4 brakes are superior in terms of braking performance and design. Not as easy to use and service, that's probably for sure.

I doubt they are cheaper to produce than the old calipers since these are specific only to the 911 GT3/Turbo and 981 GT4 models and keep in mind PCCB and Non-PCCB calipers are different this time.

The older ones were used in a wide range of different cars just the piston sizes adjusted for the right balance.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:34 PM
francis_william
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, will there be another Group Buy for the Tarett caliper bolts and brake line bolts? XD

edited the typo , my bad for the copy and paste up there LOL

Last edited by francis_william; 12-16-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:08 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by francis_william
So, will there be another Group Buy for the Tarret caliper bolts and brake line bolts? XD
Probably not if so many around here can't even be bothered to spell the guy's name correctly!

It's odd and a bit amusing to me that on a Porsche forum there are still so many people who misspell Tarett, Mezger, and Burmester.

And on a slightly related note, it seems a lot of people have forgotten that the verb meaning to misplace something or to be defeated is spelled "lose", not "loose", the latter of which is almost always an adjective.... /soapbox
Old 12-16-2015, 11:41 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Probably not if so many around here can't even be bothered to spell the guy's name correctly!

It's odd and a bit amusing to me that on a Porsche forum there are still so many people who misspell Tarett, Mezger, and Burmester.

And on a slightly related note, it seems a lot of people have forgotten that the verb meaning to misplace something or to be defeated is spelled "lose", not "loose", the latter of which is almost always an adjective.... /soapbox
Don't forget those that forget that this is a Porsche and not a VW or BMW when asking about computer/electronic feature changes.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:46 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

GT3 brake part label on my GT4 ... Noticed this part label on my caliper. I have not changed pads yet, interested in everyone's comments who have.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:17 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
This is why I'm glad that I got the caliper studs and brake line studs installed when I put my Endless pads on. Will make for easier pads swaps in the future.
When you swapped to Endless, did you machine the rotors to remove the previous pad material, as recommended? I was hoping this might not be needed...

Quick Reply: Brake pad swap - PITA?