Sponsored by: APR

Iron Man vs The Incredible Hulk

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Iron Man vs The Incredible Hulk

I just picked up my GT4 yesterday afternoon... Before I go on, a bit of backstory: Put a deposit on it the day of the public release, waited impatiently while being told I'd definitely get a car. Was finally told in late September I wasn't going to get one. Bought a pretty loaded pre-owned '14 Turbo S with 5k miles, and a week later was told my allocation came through and I was getting my car...

So here I am, with a Turbo S, and a GT4 on the way that I now needed to sell since I had already bought a car. Well, I got in the car yesterday, fired it up, and, HOLY SHART NUGGETS, it sounded incredible. Then I drove it; wow, so much fun. Best manual gearbox I have ever driven, and it's not even close. The gearing, well, let's just say I went back on forth on it a whole lot and landed on, "it's all hype, and when I get the car the gearing will be fine, and not too tall." The gearing sucks. The car revs very quickly past 4-4.5k rpm, but below that it leaves a lot to be desired. The handling is insane, suspension absolutely daily drivable.

Why the title of the thread? Well, it has to do with my current predicament. I now have two amazing cars; the Turbo S being the incredible hulk. It can be mild mannered, sophisticated, and precise like Bruce Banner, but put it in sport plus and you unleash the beast within. The GT4 is totally iron man. Not in the same league as the incredible hulk, nor will he ever be, but yet is a technical marvel and is absolutely purpose-built like the iron man suit, but yet brash and in your face like Tony Stark's persona.

So the question is, how the hell can I keep both without being able to reasonably afford both?
Attached Images    
Old 12-15-2015, 01:18 PM
hadokenny
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Verinnal
I just picked up my GT4 yesterday afternoon... Before I go on, a bit of backstory: Put a deposit on it the day of the public release, waited impatiently while being told I'd definitely get a car. Was finally told in late September I wasn't going to get one. Bought a pretty loaded pre-owned '14 Turbo S with 5k miles, and a week later was told my allocation came through and I was getting my car...

So here I am, with a Turbo S, and a GT4 on the way that I now needed to sell since I had already bought a car. Well, I got in the car yesterday, fired it up, and, HOLY SHART NUGGETS, it sounded incredible. Then I drove it; wow, so much fun. Best manual gearbox I have ever driven, and it's not even close. The gearing, well, let's just say I went back on forth on it a whole lot and landed on, "it's all hype, and when I get the car the gearing will be fine, and not too tall." The gearing sucks. The car revs very quickly past 4-4.5k rpm, but below that it leaves a lot to be desired. The handling is insane, suspension absolutely daily drivable.

Why the title of the thread? Well, it has to do with my current predicament. I now have two amazing cars; the Turbo S being the incredible hulk. It can be mild mannered, sophisticated, and precise like Bruce Banner, but put it in sport plus and you unleash the beast within. The GT4 is totally iron man. Not in the same league as the incredible hulk, nor will he ever be, but yet is a technical marvel and is absolutely purpose-built like the iron man suit, but yet brash and in your face like Tony Stark's persona.

So the question is, how the hell can I keep both without being able to reasonably afford both?
Great looking cars! Congrats on the the GT4. We all know white is the fastest color .

Man...both awesome cars. If I had to choose Id keep the Gt4. That's because I am single and got no kids. If I had a family I think the turbo would be a more practical car.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:29 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Straigtforward, in my mind in any way ;-). If you're tracking regularly, or from time to time, keep the GT4. If not, the Turbo S is the way to go.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

^^^If I read it correctly you said the gearing sucks. Can you elaborate a little more??. Are they too long ect??

Does it feel under-powered or are you happy with it because the Turbo S is a beast?
Old 12-15-2015, 01:50 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

If you're only going to DD and not track.. Turbo S, all the way!
Old 12-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^^^If I read it correctly you said the gearing sucks. Can you elaborate a little more??. Are they too long ect??

Does it feel under-powered or are you happy with it because the Turbo S is a beast?
The gearing is too tall, and it makes the car feel slow. If the gears were shorter, the car would zip more quickly to redline, would be more fun to drive (more shifting), and feel faster. You can feel the car come into its own at about the 4500 rpm mark. That's when it really starts zipping and pushing butt deep into the seat. The problem is, by the time you're at 4k+ RPM, you're going fast enough to where you need to shift. 1st gear, alone, is good for over 45MPH, and second will take you to 80. Too long.

I want to make sure that all that read this understand that, despite me complaining about all this, the car is so, totally, absolutely amazing. Yes, it has a pretty notable flaw, but it isn't anything less than a stellar car despite that limitation.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:57 PM
02TX996Cab
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Verinnal
Time to be unreasonable and keep 'em both...
Old 12-15-2015, 02:03 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

How many miles have you logged to be able to call the gearing too long? Also,are you doing break in or not?
It might be a bit difficult for you to compare the GT4 power levels after you've just gotten off the Turbo.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:22 PM
bhk1004
Racer

I'd dump the car that takes less of a value dump. Both great in their own ways. And for occasional track days both would hold their own.

I do fully expect the turbo to lose more value over a few years though.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:33 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Originally Posted by neanicu
How many miles have you logged to be able to call the gearing too long? Also,are you doing break in or not?
It might be a bit difficult for you to compare the GT4 power levels after you've just gotten off the Turbo.
It's not something that took me very long to notice. Previously I had an E92 M3, and even those were more favorable, topping out at 44 in first gear, and 71 in second. I guess I'm looking at this from the perspective of a daily driver, and it being a "driver's car." The more raw and engaging the experience, the better. In this case, I think being able to row through the gears more often would increase the fun in an already amazing car. I'd go so far as to say that I'd easily have more fun in the GT4 compared to every other contemporary Porsche if it maxed out at 40 in 1st, and maybe 62 in 2nd.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:35 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

It depends if you want or need a brutally fast grand tourer or a mid-engine sports car. Only you can decide.

Of course, if you get estimates on the current value of each, that may make your mind up for you. At least you didn't buy the turbo new!
Old 12-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
It depends if you want or need a brutally fast grand tourer or a mid-engine sports car. Only you can decide.

Of course, if you get estimates on the current value of each, that may make your mind up for you. At least you didn't buy the turbo new!
I actually got the Turbo for a steal. The price was good enough to where I drove from NY to Boston to pick it up. Used the money I saved vs comparable offers to buy an STIR+, AL Priority, two dash cams, and an iPad to supplement the PCM with waze, spotify, etc.

P.S. that GT3 in your profile is sweet.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:49 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I prefer GT cars. Engine/exhaust note does it for me. While the Turbo is fast, it doesn't excite me at all. Not to mention Turbos depreciate a lot.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:00 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

The first gear is totally fine IMO. As fast as this engine revs,you could probably bounce off the limiter on a hard launch if you're not careful. In comparison,the first gear in my Turbo was way too short.
On a good pace mountain road you can really use second and third gears. You are basically changing between the 2. You will rarely need to use fourth. You want to be above 4.5K RPMs at all times when driving spirited,to keep within the ideal power band. A slight shorter 2nd and 3rd gears would definitely benefit acceleration and that is where improvements can be made,but they're not critical IMO. The rest of the gears are fine IMO.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:08 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

The 991 GT3, which I own, tops out in first gear at 47.5 and second gear at 74.8 and it revs really quick. I think I will be satisfied with the GT4 because no way do I feel those gears are too long. But the same problem exists that you are not shifting a whole lot because these car are quick. I think it will be more pronounced in the GT4 because one wants to enjoy using a 3rd peddle more which I understand.

I am happy you love the car though because until I drive one, or receive mine in May, I will be living vicariously thru all on this forum that own one until then

Quick Reply: Iron Man vs The Incredible Hulk