Sponsored by: APR

GT4 new car prep, paint correction, modesta application

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 03:55 AM
mcdavis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT4 new car prep, paint correction, modesta application

I just had work done in Portland, Oregon by a company called Immaculate Essence.

You can see some of their work below.

http://www.immaculateessence.com/
https://www.facebook.com/immaculateessence
https://www.instagram.com/immaculate_essence/

Zhanna and Hector really did an exceptional job...really hard workers - often working late nights to get the job done with great attention to detail.

Feel free to view my previously posted thread on the Xpel installation by Metropolitan Detail. I wanted to note that the full-front, rockers, intake, wing, mirrors are covered with Xpel ultimate.

Work completed by IE:
1. new car detail
2. paint correction - and, yes, it needed it...~15 hours of it.
3. Modesta install.

before

prep work

scratches!

more scratches, swirls...DISO

almsot done

almost done

almost done

done

before

after

after

prep is done

Last edited by mcdavis; 11-29-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:57 AM
mcdavis
Racer

Now some photos of the Modesta application.

I showed up every day to take photos...I must be nuts...One day I brought a FLIR infrared!

Application notes for the Xpel areas:
1. BC-05 only
2. Cured at 120-ish degrees

Application notes for the non-xpel treated areas:
0. Modesta Primer
1. BC-04, IR cured at 130, overnight...
2. BC-05, IR cured at 130, overnight...

...they also did the rocker areas and door areas inside the car.

BC-04 curing...

done

Need new GT4 emblems...got a bum emblem from the dealer

Last edited by mcdavis; 11-29-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:58 AM
mcdavis
Racer

Social media afterward...

Old 11-29-2015, 04:07 AM
mcdavis
Racer

Modesta cheat sheet...in case you have no idea what BC-05 is.

No affiliation with either Modesta or Immaculate Essence, obviously...

I really like the way things have come out...the real questions are:
1. How long will the car continue to look glossy like this
2. How easy will it be to maintain this finish
3. How "soft" will the coating be...after 30 days of curing...without getting into a huge debate, I put Xpel where I really worry about protection...but it would be nice if the coating prevented scratches as well.
4. How long will the water handling properties remain in effect before m-shot applications

-mark

Last edited by mcdavis; 11-29-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:32 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

What an incredible amount of work and thank you for sharing it. Two things of note after looking at the photos.

1. I'm shocked at the paint condition from the factory. I chose not to have paint correction done before Xpel application and will try not to look to closely at the uncovered areas now.

2. The heat needed for the curing is fascinating to see. I guess infrared lamps can do more than keep the rotisserie chicken warm at the supermarket!

So now the question is what is the expected lifetime of this coating? I'm guessing these products are so new there is no track record and first adopters like you will be creating the data for that.

Congrats on the new car again and I'm looking forward to your feedback on the coatings over time.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:52 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.. 15 hours of paint correction?
Car looks amazing btw
Old 11-29-2015, 11:07 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

Damn they did a spectacular job

I found that once I knew how to do paint correction myself (autogeek articles FTW), I no longer get disconcerted about swirls and scratches since I have the wherewithal to fix them. With the amount of driving I'm going to do, the car will definitely have its fair share
Old 11-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 199 Posts

Okay - I will be doing this on all of my new cars from this point forward. Gorgeous.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:53 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Your paint definitely had some issues, perhaps the dealer installed a ton of swirls? I let my dealer wash the car prior to delivery but it's still relatively swirl free. At most my car would need a light polish to get to 95%. Anything deeper I would live with in favor of preserving clear coat thickness.

Your car will stay shining like this for years to come if you wash it properly. Yes the coating adds some gloss but the surface correction is the main thing that improved the shine.

Have your detailer recommend a quick detail spray to use once in a while to wipe away any water spots or dust post wash.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:10 PM
mcdavis
Racer

Originally Posted by PistolPete
What an incredible amount of work and thank you for sharing it. Two things of note after looking at the photos.

1. I'm shocked at the paint condition from the factory. I chose not to have paint correction done before Xpel application and will try not to look to closely at the uncovered areas now.

2. The heat needed for the curing is fascinating to see. I guess infrared lamps can do more than keep the rotisserie chicken warm at the supermarket!

So now the question is what is the expected lifetime of this coating? I'm guessing these products are so new there is no track record and first adopters like you will be creating the data for that.

Congrats on the new car again and I'm looking forward to your feedback on the coatings over time.
Hi Pete-

1. Yes, I was shocked by the amount of correction needed as well. I suspect IE went the extra mile and that most folks would not have put that many hours into the job.
a. Note that my car actually had the factory wrap (and xpel trac wrap) retained until I had my xpel installed just a week or so ago. I took delivery in late October.
b. Note that the two worst areas were not covered by either wrap...
c. I also had a nasty chip in the edge of my rear wing (the winglet) and one in my rocker panel which was addressed before xpel was installed in those locations...
d. I also had my car transported from the East coat to the West coast and there could have been some extra "handling"...who knows.
2. I know for a fact that my dealer did not wash the car...I met the truck at the dealer when it arrived with my car and PDI'ed it with the tech. My dealer didn't touch the paint...
3. the xpel installation folks (Metropolitan Detail) washed the car...I also double bucket washed the car twice with brand new microfiber wash mits, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't me...Since that time, I have purchased a foamer and a blow dryer (Master Blaster), so I will minimize touches in the future...
4. Xpel was installed - car was in possession of MD for about a week
5. Xpel ultimate actually hides scratches - I got a demo of this property at MD...it's crazy...For that reason, I don't think the Xpel wrap folks are motivated to do a full correction under the wrap..they only need to clean the surface to prep for the wrap (alcohol), clay bar, and install. There was one exception for me - my wing had what appeared to be 'solvent pops'...these needed to be wet sanded...I've read that the wings are done out of house and they are notorious for defects like this.

Yeah, the infrared cure is used by some coatings, including Modesta. They target 130 I believe...only 10-15 minutes per panel...Apparently, the devices are not that reliable - IE had one break while they were doing my car...

Modesta is relatively new - in the USA (few years?) -, but if you look at the chart I posted very closely, it shows that BC-04 and BC-05 should last for 3-10 years...Yes, a very very long range and longer than they have been around in the USA...I'd like to see chemical analysis and independent studies on the various coatings - I love the way Modesta looks so far, but I really don't have a deep understanding of the chemical composition - other than to know that it turns into glass chunks when dried (and is thick like syrup when applied). There are a lot of coatings...many rumored to be re-brands...this is something folks on autopia and autogeeks forums like to debate ad nauseam (I posted on autopia as well). I get the impression that some folks do not like the price of Modesta - I had quotes for other coatings+prep at less than half the price I paid for Modesta+prep...and there may be some regional tensions with only a select few ("the top 1% of detailers") getting access to the product.

Re: track record...Modesta has been around for a few years in the USA...One of the most famous detailers in the world uses it (and it fact has a 'private label' version of it). http://www.miracledetail.co.uk/services.html I wasn't convinced that the private label formulation was right for my application...

Here is the USA site, which is under construction: http://www.modestausa.com/ If you look at the installer list, you will see that it is mainly in Europe...

-mark

Last edited by mcdavis; 11-29-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:13 PM
mcdavis
Racer

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Wow.. 15 hours of paint correction?
Car looks amazing btw
Yes...I don't know how much of that time was just one of them vs. both doing the work...and note that they didn't have to do a large portion of my car because it was xpel wrapped...so that time was spent on just the roof, doors, hatch, rear bumper, and rear quarter panels...

-mark
Old 11-29-2015, 01:15 PM
mcdavis
Racer

Originally Posted by user1029
Damn they did a spectacular job

I found that once I knew how to do paint correction myself (autogeek articles FTW), I no longer get disconcerted about swirls and scratches since I have the wherewithal to fix them. With the amount of driving I'm going to do, the car will definitely have its fair share
I also learned a bit many years ago, but I'd prefer to have someone else do the work...someone who really knows that they are doing. Back in the day, I used 105/205 and p085d, but I'm sure there is better stuff these days and I'm sure there are certain products which do better with Modesta (oil content in the polish, etc)...

-mark
Old 11-29-2015, 01:18 PM
mcdavis
Racer

Originally Posted by vantage
Your paint definitely had some issues, perhaps the dealer installed a ton of swirls? I let my dealer wash the car prior to delivery but it's still relatively swirl free. At most my car would need a light polish to get to 95%. Anything deeper I would live with in favor of preserving clear coat thickness.

Your car will stay shining like this for years to come if you wash it properly. Yes the coating adds some gloss but the surface correction is the main thing that improved the shine.

Have your detailer recommend a quick detail spray to use once in a while to wipe away any water spots or dust post wash.
Take a bright LED light to the paint...My dealer did not give me DISO in this case...The quick detail spray for Modesta is M1-shot. I will get some of it. There is also a special "shampoo"..several in fact..

-mark
Old 11-29-2015, 01:20 PM
908/3fan
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Beautiful work.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:59 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

It's always amazing to see how much work goes into really good detailing, amazing work! Car looks awesome!

FWIW, the paint on my car had a nice consistent level of swirls everywhere with some extra hazing on the hood and light scratches on the fenders and around the door frames when it was delivered. I was a little disappointed but then again, it's part of the black car ownership experience and nothing that the detailers couldn't correct.

Quick Reply: GT4 new car prep, paint correction, modesta application