Sponsored by: APR

JBM Detailing & Xpel Wrap In Progress

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 08:20 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts
Default JBM Detailing & Xpel Wrap In Progress

Hey Everyone! With all the wrap interest I figured I'd do my best to share progress of my car getting a full Xpel ultimate wrap at Unique Car Care and JK Automotive in MA. They wrapped the front and rear of my last car and it was great so this time I went for a full wrap!

Old car also black metallic with Xpel clear wrap on nose, hood, and mirrors (but not the fenders, really hard to tell the difference when clean)

Picking up the GT4 from the dealer!!!
I asked dealer not to prep it but they washed it anyway and did not clay/wax or otherwise treat the car. My camera sucks but the car came with typical swirls, hazing on the hood, and micro-scratches from a surprisingly careless wash job. If you can get your dealer to not touch the car at all and even leave the plastic on I would recommend it.

The dog is not impressed with the LWBS

Car went right to Unique Car Care & JK Automotive (a few hundred miles away). The drive didn't result in any obvious rock chips to the front bumper or side scoops as I feared. First thing that went in were the front and rear cameras. Under the fluorescent lights you can really see the blue flake in the JBM....

... and all the swirls too, just part of life with a black car

The guys are super careful about maintaining the interior while they work on the car

Cut and coverage of the tint is amazing, even over the dot matrix around the edges

Car being prepped for wrapping includes cleaning, claying, polishing, and removal of door handles, mirrors, lights, etc to apply a seamless wrap

It's an incredible amount of work and the wrapping hasn't even started yet! Will update this thread as more pics come in....
Old 11-12-2015, 08:42 PM
Mr. F1 Fan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45

It's an incredible amount of work and the wrapping hasn't even started yet! Will update this thread as more pics come in....
Can't wait to see more!
Would love to see more on the cameras too.
Where will they be viewable?
Old 11-12-2015, 08:50 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on your car and keep them coming.
All I know is that I called around for PPF quotes and asked if they wrap the edges and thus remove the headlights, and some said they did and others said no, that it was too much work.
If they think it's too much work to remove the headlights, I'd run for the hills as it takes about 5 minutes, plug and play.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:59 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks for sharing this, looking forward to more!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:17 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the black/yellow combo. Looks sharp, especially with the LWBs!
Old 11-12-2015, 10:41 PM
Provie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice combo OP.
Looking forward to more pics.
Do you mind sharing some info on the camera set-up?
Old 11-12-2015, 11:18 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mr. F1 Fan
Can't wait to see more!
Would love to see more on the cameras too.
Where will they be viewable?
The JK guys wired up both cameras to the PCM display in the dash! Auto switches to the rear cam when reverse is selected and uses one of the existing buttons to activate the front camera. It's crazy that options like keyless start and reverse cam which add so little weight are available on the standard Caymans but not the GT4. Will try to get some pics of the camera display on the PCM screen next...
Old 11-12-2015, 11:59 PM
MMH78
Instructor

Did you need to remove the PCM to connect the camera connection to the PCM?
Old 11-13-2015, 05:04 AM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! Love seeing owners taking their cars to shops that know what they are doing.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:20 AM
Mr. F1 Fan
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajw45
The JK guys wired up both cameras to the PCM display in the dash! Auto switches to the rear cam when reverse is selected and uses one of the existing buttons to activate the front camera. It's crazy that options like keyless start and reverse cam which add so little weight are available on the standard Caymans but not the GT4. Will try to get some pics of the camera display on the PCM screen next...
That would be great. I would really like to do this. I don't need it for backing up, but it does make life easier and the safety aspect is pretty clear.

Originally Posted by MMH78
Did you need to remove the PCM to connect the camera connection to the PCM?
+1 ....... Good question.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Mr. F1 Fan
Instructor

Originally Posted by TimAD
Awesome! Love seeing owners taking their cars to shops that know what they are doing.
I know you guys network a bit, so if you have any recommendation on good quality shops in the NoVa area, can you PM with the name(s). Thanks!
Old 11-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Dave C4S Cab
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Car looks great, I've got the same interior ordered. I've used Unique Car Care in the past, Rick is a good guy. Are you using the NavTv interface for the cameras?
Old 11-13-2015, 12:16 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

Looks great

First thing I'm doing when the car gets home is going to town on it with my Porter Cable
Old 11-13-2015, 12:45 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dave C4S Cab
Car looks great, I've got the same interior ordered. I've used Unique Car Care in the past, Rick is a good guy. Are you using the NavTv interface for the cameras?
Yup, they are using the Nav-TV interface and cameras. I'm not sure how much they needed to get behind the PCM module since by the time I saw it everything was put together and working.

The interior combo sounded a little intense but the CF/Yellow combo looks awesome in person

Old 11-13-2015, 01:04 PM
steve0827
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

Would you mind pming me how much the XPEL wrap cost you?

Quick Reply: JBM Detailing & Xpel Wrap In Progress