Sponsored by: APR

Carrara White Metallic vs White

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 12:34 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdm
I have a white, and one of the other PCA members had his CWM at the last DE. I even parked them side by side in the sun and I could not tell a real difference. You have to be about two feet away to see the metal flakes. I do agree that CWM is a more luxurious color: it costs extra ;-)
Agreed, this is also true of GT Silver Metallic vs Rhodium (although in that case you can more easily see the difference when cars are side by side) but I have never once seen either a silver car or a white car alone and been able to tell right away which version of Silver or White it was. And it is impossible to tell in a picture on webpage.

People with CWM or GTSM don't like to hear that but it is the way it is.

Still I ordered CWM because it was more luxurious and more rare. But to 99% of the people who see it, it is just white.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:00 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 184 Posts

I would always go with the non metallic, because it's harder to successfully touch up a chip in metallic.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:00 AM
orclean1
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 72 Posts
Default CWM

CWM VERUS WHITE SHOWS LESS SWIRL MARKS AND IMPERFECTIONS.IMO LOOKS ALIVE AND AT NITE UNDER THE LIGHTS LOOKS LIKE A DIAMOND .
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2015, 01:00 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

That picture is exactly what I see when I look at them in real life. I find it very easy to tell them apart. CWM is a classy, smoky color and plain white is cleaner, sporty color.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:30 PM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

If I would have looking for a white car, i would get the CWM.
It has a second clear coat, which will be better in paint protection long term
Old 11-08-2015, 08:51 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 79 Posts

i went to my local dealer today and looked at a few macan's and cayenne's next to each other in white and CWM. CWM won me over. then i got home and started looking a JBM. i am pretty sure i will go with CWM, but dang that black is mean looking.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:28 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
Same color used on some Audis under a different a name so can take a visit to your Audi dealer if your Porsche dealer doesn't have it in stock.
Suzuka grey metallic?
Old 11-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Suzuka grey metallic?
No that is a pearl and much more grey than CWM or GWM.

Porsche CWM is the same as Audi Glacier White Metallic except CWM has more metallic flake and thicker clear coat. I have 2 GWM Audi's in my garage and the CWM GT4 and the shades of white are identical.

Yes alone they just look white to most, but as soon as you part a flat white (like Audi Ibis, or Porsche "White" or "Grand Prix White" "Alpine White") you see how these are warm whites with yellow in them. My Grand Prix White Porsche 964 RS America looked white when alone and then looked like smokers teeth yellow when parked next to my Glacier White S4.

Very hard to tell via pictures on the internet. Too many variables, different lighting/exposure, differences in monitors and calibrations. You need to see them in the same light side by side.

In the end some will say they are both white so just get the free one, others will say the increased cost gets you extra layers of paint and deeper clear coat in addition to a bluer/cooler shade of white and metallic flake. For some it is a personal decision as I don't like warm/yellow whites myself. I don't think warm or cool, metallic or flat has any affect on "sportiness" of the GT4...it's a GT4 with huge scoops and wings! They ALL look "sporty"

If your body shop can't match a metallic paint you need to get a new body shop. That is no excuse to avoid a color.

If you like white you can't go wrong with CWM, the only whites out there that are better (IMHO) are Oryx (Porsche) and Balloon (Lamborghini).
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (09-11-2021)
Old 11-09-2015, 12:38 PM
rickdm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you like CMW then go for it, but to say that the regular white is warm/yellowish is not accurate. It may be warmer than CMW, but I have never looked at my white car and thought that it is anything but a nice bright white. The difference is very subtle.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:47 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 184 Posts

My Ibis White Audi appears to be neither cool nor warm, just neutral white.
Hoping the White GT4 will match.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by d00d
...until you park a GWM, CWM or Suzuka Grey next to it.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:13 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
Hoping the White GT4 will match.
It'll be near identical. Neutral and clean.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Porsche GT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Carrara White 997 GTS as well as a GT4 on order ...:reckon:

I still to this day don't know how Porsche refer to it as a Metallic Colour, its not like the Audi Metallics which "Burst" with Life - its very flat but yet Bright in Direct Sun light ... Its a nice Colour, more "Classy" than "Sporty"which is why i specced my GT4 with Guards Red ...
Old 11-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche GT
I still to this day don't know how Porsche refer to it as a Metallic Colour, its not like the Audi Metallics which "Burst" with Life
CWM is identical to Audi's Glacier White Metallic except Porsche's paint is higher quality(more flake more clear coat) so I don't understand your comment?

I have a S4 and Q5 GWM sitting in my garage next to my CWM GT4 so I'm not making this up based on "internet" hearsay. I've owned 12 Audi's and all but two of them had metallic paint. None of them were bursting with "life" so maybe I had the wrong colors?
Old 11-09-2015, 08:09 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche GT
I have a Carrara White 997 GTS as well as a GT4 on order ...:reckon:

I still to this day don't know how Porsche refer to it as a Metallic Colour, its not like the Audi Metallics which "Burst" with Life - its very flat but yet Bright in Direct Sun light ... Its a nice Colour, more "Classy" than "Sporty"which is why i specced my GT4 with Guards Red ...
I have a Carrara White 997 GT3, same color as your GTS. The new color that is called 'Carrara White Metallic' is a different color than our cars, it actually is metallic and the hue is different. It has a grayish smoky hue to it. Where our cars are plain white (the way I prefer ).

Also have to agree with posts above saying plain white has a more sport look to it where CWM has a richer tone and gives the car more elegant appeal.

Quick Reply: Carrara White Metallic vs White