Sponsored by: APR

My car arrived but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:23 PM
volksjaeger
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Default My car arrived but...

I got the call that my car arrived. I went down to look at it. GT Silver.

As my dealer pulled away the plastic from the wheels instead of the platinum grey I was expecting... bright painted SILVER.

I can't believe this. We went back to his desk and reviewed the options list that I signed. And sure enough I did not agree to Silver wheels. So he punched it in wrong.

He offered to "Paint" my wheels for me. But he kept saying "there's nothing else I can do". And finally asked me "Or... do you not want the car now?"

After looking at 1000 pictures of GT Silver with platinum wheels... I would have been OK with black wheels. Anyone else ever run into this kind of snafu?
Old 10-29-2015, 09:32 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

I can't even imagine the shock you must've felt. The upside is that wheel color is the one option that can be easily changed.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUGT4BLACK.html

Now here is the downside. This is a brand new car. The dealer can flip this car for a markup because it's so hot right now. What leverage do you have? I don't know.

Painting is definitely an option.
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Ask for a discount and take the car either way or you will be disappointed later.

Enjoy!
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

tell dealer to order four new wheels with tires from Germany at their expense , take delivery and swap tires in a couple of weeks , be strong don't back down., call Porsche directly asap good luck
Old 10-29-2015, 09:33 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

That makes me angry. If it was me I would insist that he changes the wheels and that whilst he is waiting for the replacement wheels to come you get to drive the car with the silver wheels. Don't let him paint them - they won't be as good as factory and paint chips will look poor.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:37 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Now here is the downside. This is a brand new car. The dealer can flip this car for a markup because it's so hot right now. What leverage do you have? I don't know.
Don't you sign a sales contract when buying cars in the us? We do here and a contract is a contract - they can't just flip your car to someone else.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by orclean1
tell dealer to order four new wheels with tires from Germany at their expense , take delivery and swap tires in a couple of weeks , be strong don't back down., call Porsche directly asap good luck
That sounds great, but at least in this State, the dealer can just say thanks, I'll sell the car to someone else. An order does not bind the dealer to sell the car to you. Until you actually sign a purchase contract, there is no binding agreement to sell.

So in the immortal words of Walter White, I'd tread lightly.

OP, I'd just make them get the wheels painted/powerdercoated for you, or live with it for a week and see if you like it.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:44 PM
9001rpm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by volksjaeger
I got the call that my car arrived. I went down to look at it. GT Silver.

As my dealer pulled away the plastic from the wheels instead of the platinum grey I was expecting... bright painted SILVER.

I can't believe this. We went back to his desk and reviewed the options list that I signed. And sure enough I did not agree to Silver wheels. So he punched it in wrong.

He offered to "Paint" my wheels for me. But he kept saying "there's nothing else I can do". And finally asked me "Or... do you not want the car now?"

After looking at 1000 pictures of GT Silver with platinum wheels... I would have been OK with black wheels. Anyone else ever run into this kind of snafu?
1.) I would ask them to credit you the cost of painting your wheels.

2.) Take delivery of the car with the discount/credit noted above.

3.) Try and find someone who wants to possiblly switch wheels.

4.) If no luck, enjoy the car and maybe track down an after market option. Then switch back to the stockers when you want to sell the car.

I have seen a few cars posted recently with the silver wheels and to be honest they look good.

Oh and you may forget about the issue after the first drive. It is that good...at least in my opinion .
Old 10-29-2015, 09:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Don't you sign a sales contract when buying cars in the us? We do here and a contract is a contract - they can't just flip your car to someone else.
Nope. In most States, neither party is bound by a sales order, only when the car is actually delivered and a sales contract is signed. Either party can back out for any reason.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:47 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

You can probably find someone to exchange the wheels with.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:57 PM
volksjaeger
Rennlist Member

He was looking around the showroom at other cars they had and he did say "well... maybe we can switch it with another car."

Are these GT4 wheels "similar" to other Porsche wheels sans the center caps that say GT4?
Old 10-29-2015, 10:04 PM
9001rpm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He was looking around the showroom at other cars they had and he did say "well... maybe we can switch it with another car."

Are these GT4 wheels "similar" to other Porsche wheels sans the center caps that say GT4?
Not sure but I wouldn't go that route. Would make it pain to sell in the future (in my opinion). Plus the GT4 wheels, which are similar to the GT3, complete the look.

Any other Porsche wheel would look odd... Again my opinion.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:06 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

No - they are specific wheels. You cant just swap them with a non GT4.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:07 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

They are different offsets.

Don't paint them.

This is an easy fix. Dealership made the mistake and admitted so. They order the proper wheels and swap out with your current tires in a few weeks.

No big deal.

Your build sheet and Cert Of Authenticity will not match up to window sticker.

Did you know something was awry when the price wasn't right? I am assuming the Platinum finish costs more.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:08 PM
volksjaeger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Did you know something was awry when the price wasn't right? I am assuming the Platinum finish costs more.
The platinum and the silver are "Free" options so it never changed the MSRP.

Only the black wheels add more to the cost ($700?)

Quick Reply: My car arrived but...