Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

European Delivery with my Unicorn!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 09:37 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Eau Rouge was oddly not that difficult. Granted, I probably could have carried more speed, but I felt once you knew the complex you simply had to trust where to point the car and it sort of fell into place. I think the best part of the turn is the build up - you are driving toward/down into Eau Rouge for a few seconds, so anticipation builds. How hard do you push? Then once you hit the valley, you climb up and over rather quickly. The pucker moment there is when you crest over the top as you exit. You need to be pointing straight, otherwise you could lose grip.

I have a motion simulator in my house for sim racing - super fun. What the sims don't really prepare you for are the elevation changes. To be honest, I thought Eau Rouge would have felt more dramatic. In comparison, I'd say Sonoma felt more woah (to me at least) in the elevation department. Maybe its because the elevation is over a larger/straighter distance, whereas the opening sector of Sonoma is big elevation change over a tighter/blind series of crests?

Racing the Nordschleife on a sim, for example, you'd think the track is mostly flat, but the overall track elevation changes are staggering:

Old 12-11-2015, 11:44 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Great thread, so well written and explained.
I'll cross post it on a Rennlist European delivery pages along with mine if you don't mind..

For me, elevations I barely notice, I just notice more or less grip.
Same with banking. Video's and video games are a waste of time for me, I need to drive it. Ideally with a coach or build up slowly and feel it out.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:05 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

For sure Pete, feel free to share anywhere you think people will enjoy. I purchased a few of my 'Ring photos and updated the earlier posts. I've neglected my thread for a bit, so let's try to wrap a bow on the story.

I felt a little bad about not really getting more laps in or pushing more than I did, but after reading articles from Porsche's US press day at Road Atlanta, I guess I feel ok/validated:

The Cayman was diabolical on the cold, slick surface. Virtually any application of throttle with the steering-lock applied caused the rear end to step out, and the first time the Porsche Stability Management (PSM) system detected the car drifting mid-corner, it kicked in so violently that I initially thought something had broken. The GT3 RS performed better, thanks to a more forgiving tire compound and three-and-a-half times more downforce than the Cayman. (It makes 761 pounds at 186 miles per hour, Porsche says.) This meant, paradoxically, that the car felt more planted in faster corners than slower ones. But it never inspired confidence on the damp track.
That night I was having dinner at the La Source Hotel. The BMW Driving Experience crowd had arrived in full force (as they had the track the next day) and some of them were obnoxiously loud over dinner. A few tables shared eye rolling glances at one another so we quickly struck up a conversation. One of the gentlemen happened to be on the track with me in what looked like a sweet Mexico Blue 944 GTS Clubsport. He seemed pretty knowledgeable and mentioned he also had a GT4 at home. He said that a friend of his was a big Euro parts manufacturer that had apparently sat in a "GT4 RS". According to him, it had a power increase around 420hp, PDK-S and aggressive aero. I doubted this to be true, but the source supposedly is not one to make stories for attention (he apparently knew the GT3RS would have a magnesium roof before it was ever really mentioned). I still hope this isn't true, and now that time has passed, I think time has proven they won't make one, so I'm hoping he had simply sat in a pre-production GT4 Clubsport type of mule without knowing at the time.

After seeing how perfect of a landing spot this hotel was, I decided to replicate the same scenario at any track that was in the vicinity of Stuttgart where I needed to drop the car off shortly. So, off to Hockenheim.

You often hear the rest of the world doesn't think too highly of the US at times, so it was neat to see this:

I may or may not have made loud noises in this tunnel. Its quite possible I laughed like a movie villain while doing so.

Hockenheimring had a lot of leftover DTM finale paraphernalia everywhere, but that only exaggerated the effect that made it seemed like a deserted track. I checked into the 'hotel', but the place was like a run down college dorm. I sat in the room for about 15 seconds before needing to leave and go exploring. I asked if I could drive the track, but they had no idea what I was talking about. I sort of snuck into the grandstand to get a look of the place and saw 4 motorcycles racing each other with a random Mercedes SL taking a joy ride. Surely I can join, no?

I drove until finding a sign that said no admittance past this point. I stayed here for about 20 minutes, taking random photos, wavering, do I go in or no? No way, the sign says no, they are German, they won't like the silly American trespassing...but...hell yes you go in, you are at Hockenheimring in a GT4! When will this ever happen again?

Ok, I go in...and quickly get to a guard booth. Uh oh. I pull up, they look at the car, smile, and raise the gate. Nice. There is a fork at the road, so I just choose quickly as to not alert the guards. I end up at a BMW drift event with random Boxsters in our favorite rare shade of blue parked as eye candy.

Someone asks who I am and why I am here. I say I was visiting from the US and hoping to drive the track. They give me a name of some track exec to ask for, then offer to let me on the wet drift course. I decline and just record some video of the hooning, before setting off for the other direction of the fork only to run into more guards. And again, right through without fuss. Apparently the GT4 is an all-access VIP pass! This time I ended up in the pit area. There were a number of large trucks packing up what was left of DTM type displays. I went into a few buildings hoping to speak to the man (or anyone) in the hopes of being allowed on track. The place looked like a combination of 28 Days Later and the fake office in Boiler Room. Random garbage on the ground, empty offices, abandoned buildings - it was eery and a complete 180 from the feeling at Spa.

I'm about to leave dejected, then I realize I can literally just walk/drive/skip right through the pit garages and get right onto the track. Besides a few sporadic packers, this place is so desolate, I know I can get a few laps in at full throttle before the flat-6 alerts someone to my presence. Go for it, just do it, the evil voice says. I start the car, but then think - driving into the pit facilities uninvited is one thing, but unauthorized joy laps?? Zee Germans would not be pleased. I go home with my tail between my legs to live another day.

I wake up at 4am to get the car back to Stuttgart, but have to give her a wash before her long journey back to California, so I stop at a hand wash that my Porsche chaperone and I had previously scouted out.

As I'm pulling into the Porsche facilities, its very early and dark. The streets are empty besides the workers that are walking to their morning shifts. The GT4 greets them with sports exhaust clearing its throat in the cold morning. Each of the workers all take notice as I slowly drive past with a look thats hard to describe, yet we all know it. Its a look of admiration of their work, their brand, and their life. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but after the entire trip/pilgrimage, factory tour, museums, education, and racing history, its a look of pride I'll always remember. I felt honored to be driving my unicorn.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Old 01-25-2016, 09:25 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Fantastic switchface! I lived it through your words.. Great self control!
ED is a must for me..
Old 01-26-2016, 01:38 AM
NephroC4S
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Loved reading all of that at the sacrifice of some sleep tonight but well worth it! Great write up and awesome pics! Thanks for sharing that amazing experience!

Glad to hear you like sim racing. I have an Accuforce wheel with a racing rig. Just can't get enough of the tracking experience I guess
Old 01-26-2016, 03:45 AM
bowser
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome read! Thanks for sharing your epic journey!
Old 01-26-2016, 03:47 AM
loungin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Riveting storytelling. At last the long awaited conclusion!

The car looks fantastic in your photos. Is that white or CWM?

I am looking forward to my trip in the spring. BTW could you pm me the location of the car wash? Do you know if it is open 24/7? I'm trying to plan how what I can do on the drop off day. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2016, 04:56 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

nicely tied bow ... glad you tried to get those HHRing laps in but wise choice in the end
Old 01-26-2016, 08:49 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Glad everyone enjoyed the story. I've got one surprise left to tell...

Originally Posted by NephroC4S
Loved reading all of that at the sacrifice of some sleep tonight but well worth it! Great write up and awesome pics! Thanks for sharing that amazing experience!

Glad to hear you like sim racing. I have an Accuforce wheel with a racing rig. Just can't get enough of the tracking experience I guess
I'm with ya there. I just got my Accuforce a few months back. I went a slightly different route not using the slip ring and button box, instead I've got a Holger Q1R holding my Momo Mod30.

Originally Posted by loungin
Riveting storytelling. At last the long awaited conclusion!

The car looks fantastic in your photos. Is that white or CWM?

I am looking forward to my trip in the spring. BTW could you pm me the location of the car wash? Do you know if it is open 24/7? I'm trying to plan how what I can do on the drop off day. Thanks!
Its non-metallic white.

The car wash was 'open' but the pumps didn't turn on until 6am I believe.

If you look at an aerial shot of the Porsche roundabout (with the museum at the 'top'), you want to go left at the circle, past the factory entrance, and make a right a block later. The car wash will be on your right. I'll look to see if I still have the map we drew.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:23 PM
NephroC4S
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=switchface;12961336]

I'm with ya there. I just got my Accuforce a few months back. I went a slightly different route not using the slip ring and button box, instead I've got a Holger Q1R holding my Momo Mod30.

Great looking setup! I was doing some laps on Silverstone GT circuit with the flat6 mod on rFactor2 - it was awesome! Got a lot of heel-toe practice in Here is a pic of my setup.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:00 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by switchface
I'll get to my rumor when I get to the Spa section of my journey, so stay tuned.
OK, Chris, I read the Spa section and I didn't see any rumor beans being spilled--what did you hear?

Glad everyone enjoyed the story. I've got one surprise left to tell....
I'm listening....

TT
Old 01-27-2016, 09:05 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NephroC4S
...I was doing some laps on Silverstone GT circuit with the flat6 mod on rFactor2 - it was awesome! Got a lot of heel-toe practice in Here is a pic of my setup.
Those look like Main Performance pedals, yes? Nice setup! Man we really need to start a sim racing thread. I'm mostly a R3E fan, but that flat6 mod on RF2 looks legit.

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
OK, Chris, I read the Spa section and I didn't see any rumor beans being spilled--what did you hear?

I'm listening....

TT
The rumor I was referring to was the in-the-know Euro parts supplier saying that he sat in a "GT4 RS" that had PDK. At the time, when I heard it, no one was sure what was true or what may come. While it wasn't news I wanted to hear, according to the racer I was talking to, it was a very credible source that had been right on previous hard to know facts. As I mentioned, I'm hoping that the guy was mistaken by labeling the mule an "RS" when it may have just been the not-previously-announced Clubsport.

With that being said, I do have a final surprise to the story...

I had another plan while on our trip. I had booked some nice places to stay in scenic locations, but I was quite pressed for time due to the large distances covered and what not, so I was forced to improvise. So, after my laps on the Nurburgring with my adrenaline still pumping, I took my girlfriend to the top of Nurburg castle. From the highest lookout point, we had a 360 panoramic view of the forests of the Eifel Mountain range and even pieces of the track, so it seemed like the perfect time...

She said yes, we're engaged!

I didn't include this in the thread earlier because I brought a fake ring on the trip (just in case) and we only made the announcement to our friends and family once we received the real ring. My girlfr--excuse me, fiancee, made that Instagram collage above; the fake ring is in the Germany photos and the real one is the bottom right.

The location started as an improvisation, but has some pretty neat 'bonuses'. For one, every time I watch a race at the Nurburgring, they usually start off showing a picture of the castle, so now we'll always remember our moment up there by ourselves. Moreover, I get to say: I gave her a ring at The Ring!

The following users liked this post:
Dstinson (10-24-2021)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:30 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Those look like Main Performance pedals, yes? Nice setup! Man we really need to start a sim racing thread. I'm mostly a R3E fan, but that flat6 mod on RF2 looks legit.

The rumor I was referring to was the in-the-know Euro parts supplier saying that he sat in a "GT4 RS" that had PDK. At the time, when I heard it, no one was sure what was true or what may come. While it wasn't news I wanted to hear, according to the racer I was talking to, it was a very credible source that had been right on previous hard to know facts. As I mentioned, I'm hoping that the guy was mistaken by labeling the mule an "RS" when it may have just been the not-previously-announced Clubsport.

With that being said, I do have a final surprise to the story...

I had another plan while on our trip. I had booked some nice places to stay in scenic locations, but I was quite pressed for time due to the large distances covered and what not, so I was forced to improvise. So, after my laps on the Nurburgring with my adrenaline still pumping, I took my girlfriend to the top of Nurburg castle. From the highest lookout point, we had a 360 panoramic view of the forests of the Eifel Mountain range and even pieces of the track, so it seemed like the perfect time...

She said yes, we're engaged!

I didn't include this in the thread earlier because I brought a fake ring on the trip (just in case) and we only made the announcement to our friends and family once we received the real ring. My girlfr--excuse me, fiancee, made that Instagram collage above; the fake ring is in the Germany photos and the real one is the bottom right.

The location started as an improvisation, but has some pretty neat 'bonuses'. For one, every time I watch a race at the Nurburgring, they usually start off showing a picture of the castle, so now we'll always remember our moment up there by ourselves. Moreover, I get to say: I gave her a ring at The Ring!

What a story !!!!
Best of luck bud
Old 01-28-2016, 02:40 AM
Jeffvan1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your story was so well written, I made my wife read it, as well. It inspired us to badger the hell out of our dealer while waiting for our GT4. As a result, we pick up our car on April 13 in Stuttgart. We hope to enjoy the experience as much as you and your fiancée did! Thanks.

Quick Reply: European Delivery with my Unicorn!