Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Aftermarket radio install - Pioneer Avic 5100NEX with Fusiondock

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 09:54 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, once you replace the factory head unit the bluetooth will be done by the new unit (Pioneer). In my case the Pioneer has a better interface for showing the phone items especially in CarPlay mode... it also supports bluetooth audio streaming. This means the factory stalk and instrument cluster display will not support the bluetooth operations - not a big deal for me.

The one thing I did do was use the Pioneer microphone on top of the steering column cover... but you could use the factory microphones if your installer splices into them. I did not want to modify the factory wiring (so I could put it all back to stock) which is why I did not do that option. The Pioneer also supports voice commands which is a nice feature including Siri through CarPlay.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...X/AVIC-5100NEX

Tony (Black Adder) was able to swing by today and see the setup... maybe he can comment on what he thought of it.

David
Old 03-13-2016, 12:00 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Reborn996
Yes, once you replace the factory head unit the bluetooth will be done by the new unit (Pioneer). In my case the Pioneer has a better interface for showing the phone items especially in CarPlay mode... it also supports bluetooth audio streaming. This means the factory stalk and instrument cluster display will not support the bluetooth operations - not a big deal for me.

The one thing I did do was use the Pioneer microphone on top of the steering column cover... but you could use the factory microphones if your installer splices into them. I did not want to modify the factory wiring (so I could put it all back to stock) which is why I did not do that option. The Pioneer also supports voice commands which is a nice feature including Siri through CarPlay.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...X/AVIC-5100NEX

Tony (Black Adder) was able to swing by today and see the setup... maybe he can comment on what he thought of it.

David
I like the thought of having Car Play....this is sounding more and more promising. And adding a rear camera during the install is very appealing as well.....

I'm not concerned about taking on an install project like this, I've done several over the years in different cars and boats. I just want to make sure I'm not crippling some other function of the car's electronics by ripping out the factory head unit.

The Bose in my BS sounds like crap, I think mainly due to speakers, speaker mounting, and crossovers to each driver. For example, the doors vibrate like a large sound wall, need to route that bass elsewhere. I don't think there is a practical way to reinforce the door structure so the interior door panels are not vibrating like a really bad Magnaplaner .

I put together some inexpensive but excellent sounding car systems in the past by making sure the speakers were firmly mounted to a rigid structure. A little bit of clean amp goes a long way with a big magnet in a rigidly mounted driver.

Last edited by okie981; 03-13-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:54 PM
Black Adder
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
Having seen Reborn996 (David) install I have gone ahead and started doing it all myself. I am installing an
AVIC 8100NEX and the FusionDock iphone holder.
Started yesterday, my 981C is a base CDR31 radio, confirmed with the dealer that there were no upgrades.
Everywhere I read said the CDR31 was a base radio, no external amp with two chanels out for each door. Not totally true
When I installed the radio I discovered that there is an external amp and 4 channels, I have rear speakers as well as front.
Will hopefully finish off the install today and provide feedback and wring details
Old 03-27-2016, 02:03 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Old 04-01-2016, 08:00 PM
Black Adder
AutoX

So I finished the install last weekend. Painfull process but not rocket science. The big time waster was removing the glove box which wasnt needed. Spent 2-3 hours working out how to take it out and put it back in.
Apart fom the head unit, you will need the EuroMotorspeed harness adapter, the Porsche fascia to hold the now head unit and optionally the FusionDock. Follow the FusiopnDock instructions for taking the center console side pieces off so you can get at the 4 scrws that hold the radio in. Remove the 4 screws and pull the radio out, diconnect the big black plug and the antenna and the radio is out :-)
I basically followed the EuroMotorspeed instructions for connecting up the 4 speakers, power, ground,antenna power and and accessory feed. I did not connect the speed sensor, reverse switch or illumination. When I put it all back in everything powered up great but no sound. Thats when I discovered the amp and found the "power on" lead in the small blue connector that is part of the black connector in the car harness. Connected the "antenna power" to pin 4 or 5 and voila, the amp wakes up and all is good. Spent a LOT of time getting the Sirrius XM and GPS antenna's into the frunk area and mounting them under the plastic trim under the wipers.
The only issues is the output from the head unit is higher than the amp input so there is some static and the volume on the head unit is set low so that the output of the amp is not too loud. Will fix that with a 4 channel level converter next week and all should be good
Old 04-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Good to hear Tony. I think this upgrade is one of the least costly and easier installs that works well with the factory amp and speakers. Lots of fun features in the Pioneer units. Yes, with the wiring adapter you do need to tap the amp turn on directly as in the 981 it is wired differently. Not a big deal to fix as you found out. Been using my custom setup for months now with no issues.

David
Old 04-01-2016, 08:29 PM
Black Adder
AutoX

Attachment 1036922Hi David,
Made this up and added this to the spash screen to make it look more "porsche like" when the head unit first starts up

Regards
Tony

Last edited by Black Adder; 04-03-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Reborn996
Pro

I like it!

Maybe I should use it too, looks like a clean Porsche splash screen option.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:42 PM
Black Adder
AutoX

I can email it to you, its just a 28k jpg. Text/PM me your email
Old 04-10-2016, 02:29 PM
Black Adder
AutoX

Udate on Install.
After doing the install I still had three problems

No AM radio - This was fixed by using a dual fakra adapter rather than the single one supplied by EuroMotorspeed.

Volume too high - This was fixed by changing the outputs from the headunit from the speaker outputs to the preamp outputs (my base CDR31 system has an external amp).

Significant alternator whine - This ended up being an intermittant connection between the Euromotorspeed adaptor and the factory harness plug. I bought a connector for 2002+ BMW/Audi/Volkswagon adapter on Amazon for $5, made up a new harness and VOILA, no noise.

It now works flawlessly and is a really good upgrade. The sound is much better and all the features, AM, FM, HD Radio. Sirius XM, CD/DVD, SD card storage, GPS, Hands Free phone and especially CarPlay all make this worth the effort.
Regards
Tony
Old 04-22-2016, 02:51 PM
socal28
Advanced

Great work guys! Love to check them out one of these days.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:25 AM
SMLaker
Instructor

Wish I'd seen this thread before my install....

1)how do you get the porsche logo on the screen?
2)Do you guys have any experience with Android auto?
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2016, 09:15 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by SMLaker
Wish I'd seen this thread before my install....

1)how do you get the porsche logo on the screen?
2)Do you guys have any experience with Android auto?
And you can find image options if you google "pioneer splash screen porsche" or something similar. The AVIC411 forum has a section dedicated to the cause: http://avic411.com/index.php?/forum/...m-backgrounds/

i.e.

2. I have a NEX in my DD and use Android Auto. It works well for me. Any specific questions?
Old 05-16-2016, 08:06 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Yep, AVIC411 forums are great. For my model of Pioneer they have two USB ports, one for Carplay and the other for Android.

David
Old 05-17-2016, 07:09 AM
SMLaker
Instructor

Originally Posted by sonorous
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMLxKcXsy9w And you can find image options if you google "pioneer splash screen porsche" or something similar. The AVIC411 forum has a section dedicated to the cause: http://avic411.com/index.php?/forum/...m-backgrounds/

i.e.

2. I have a NEX in my DD and use Android Auto. It works well for me. Any specific questions?
Thanks...ill check those out. Currently I can't get the radio to recognize that my Samsung S6 is plugged into the USB2 port...it does charge the phone but the input isn't highlighted.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket radio install - Pioneer Avic 5100NEX with Fusiondock