Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 lithium ion battery option . . . any takers?

Old 09-24-2015, 05:14 PM
Ochocoronas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could just fill up with 5 gallons less at each fill up!
I would then buy a brand new spanking set of tires with the money I saved.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:32 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 298 Posts

I put one in my CR when I got a good deal on a used one out of an RS. It's worked great and fit perfectly in place of the stock battery using the stock clamps and cables. I keep it on a tender when I'm not driving the car for extended periods.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:47 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Ochocoronas
You could just fill up with 5 gallons less at each fill up!
I would then buy a brand new spanking set of tires with the money I saved.

Just love that math after 8 beers when all the slow brain cells were killed off.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:09 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks RDCR for the positive info!

By the way, I just got an email from a senior contact at Porsche Exclusive at PCNA in Atlanta. She tells me "We would not be able to install the lithium-ion battery (in your Spyder) at the factory. I am checking with our technical team if this is something you would be able to order and install after delivery. I will get back to you once I have that information."

Disappointing but not surprising. While I suspect the eventual outcome will be that "yes, you can order and install after delivery" nonetheless that order will likely be at full retail or whatever discount one can scrounge up. And that's the price point where it will certainly not be a great deal even though it may be a great lithium ion battery.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:21 PM
Ochocoronas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ExMB
Just love that math after 8 beers when all the slow brain cells were killed off.
$2,300 for a battery to save 29 lbs or 5 less gallons of gas to save 30 lbs. Ohhhh... You thought that I thought I was saving money by buying less gas each time I stopped at a gas station. Bloody Hell That's a great idea! Every time I stop to fill up I will only put in $15 instead of $30. Bammm I will be rich before you know it!

Porsche is funny about those options and what cars get what. I would of loved to get that Red and Black Spyder interior in my Silver GT4. I would bet you will have to buy a battery after delivery.

Last edited by Ochocoronas; 09-25-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:43 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

My OEM Lithium died after 4 years. They don't last forever. The older ones looked way cooler than the new ones.

Name:  Lightweight-Battery-Option (1).jpg
Views: 2102
Size:  101.5 KB
Old 09-24-2015, 11:52 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 335 Posts

It's your money to spend but do you honestly think you could even feel 29lbs difference? Have someone put a 30lb weight in the frunk, drive around and do a double blind test.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:24 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 569 Posts

They should make it part of a package with the leather covered air slats. Carl
Old 09-26-2015, 12:16 AM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
It's your money to spend but do you honestly think you could even feel 29lbs difference? Have someone put a 30lb weight in the frunk, drive around and do a double blind test.
agreed, but look how much money porsche spent on a magnesium roof for the new RS to save a pittance over carbon or aluminium (I know the weight is higher up, but still). if you're going to save weight, being able to save 30 pounds in one fell swoop is a lot. of course as someone mentioned, saving weight by losing it off your body is the best way. I lost 40 pounds in fat fairly recently so I'd be looking for even more!

it's a cumulative effect right? 30 lbs battery, 50 lbs bucket seats, 20 lbs titanium exhaust, 30 lbs PCCB, 10 lbs wheels....that's 140 lbs off an already light car, all without sacrificing much, if any usability. I don't even have a Cayman GT4, but if I did and I could afford it, I'd be doing all of the above with maybe the exception of PCCB.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:16 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by maroli
agreed, but look how much money porsche spent on a magnesium roof for the new RS to save a pittance over carbon or aluminium (I know the weight is higher up, but still). if you're going to save weight, being able to save 30 pounds in one fell swoop is a lot. of course as someone mentioned, saving weight by losing it off your body is the best way. I lost 40 pounds in fat fairly recently so I'd be looking for even more! it's a cumulative effect right? 30 lbs battery, 50 lbs bucket seats, 20 lbs titanium exhaust, 30 lbs PCCB, 10 lbs wheels....that's 140 lbs off an already light car, all without sacrificing much, if any usability. I don't even have a Cayman GT4, but if I did and I could afford it, I'd be doing all of the above with maybe the exception of PCCB.
Exactly. There is an ethos to the ideal track car and cumulative weight savings and shavings are important. I ordered with lightweight battery, pccb, bucket seats, radio delete
Old 09-26-2015, 07:37 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought really hard about ac delete and radio delete in a edition to my PCCB and lion battery options.

I had the old LiON battery in my old spyder and still have one on the RS after 5 years. it still works.

13 kg is a lot of weight savings up high. The next best thing is probably a titanium exhaust which is lower and for me less desirable if they can't make one that is as quiet as stock. i do not like loud anti-social exhaust.

And when you tick the box, you also get a free standard battery.......
Old 09-26-2015, 09:11 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Exactly. There is an ethos to the ideal track car and cumulative weight savings and shavings are important. I ordered with lightweight battery, pccb, bucket seats, radio delete
Very curious to know how much your car will end up weighing. Do post if you weigh it anytime.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Curious- if you use the lithium battery how will you keep it charged while the car is sitting in the garage? Do they make a trickle charger for thaT battery? Also, can you swap the battery out without having to have Porsche to re-program the vehicle?
Old 09-27-2015, 09:37 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In an earlier posting I mentioned that Porsche does make a new version of their trickle charger with a setting for this lithium ion battery.

Also, I had previously inquired of Porsche Exclusive in Atlanta about retro fitting this battery into a new Spyder or GT4. The response was " I am checking with our technical team if this is something you would be able to order and install after delivery. I will get back to you once I have that information." OK, so now they've gotten back to me with the following answer "I found out you would be able to put a lithium ion battery into your Boxster Spyder after you take delivery. The battery will come with a manual which describes how to install it (easy to do, just 1 connector to unplug/plug)."
Old 06-19-2016, 09:16 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't charge mine with ctek lithium xs. It goes into under voltage protection mode and the battery flashes green and red. Anyone have this issue?
Isn't porsche charge-o-mat charger the same thing?

The led indicator then goes dark after a few minutes.

I plug the ctek charger in and it goes through the normal charging cycle ramping up to stage 5 (completion)in a few minutes. Then as it goes into stage 6 (maximisation) an audible click happens and the charger shuts off and battery led faces red and green.

Last edited by khooni; 06-19-2016 at 09:37 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT4 lithium ion battery option . . . any takers?