Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Oil Filter and Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sonorous
With a filter change this would be 7.9 quarts. I looks like carl put a little more than that with no issues reported.
I also had to go over 8 quarts in mine. Just for reference:

I took it for a short drive after the oil change using a hair over 8 quarts (by accident) and then re-measured. Still one square over min so I slowly added and rechecked. About 1/2 quart more got me to 2 squares. Then I did another 1/6 quart and that put me to max 4 squares over. So looks like the difference between 3 and 4 squares is pretty slim. 3 squares over min is what is recommended for the track so in my case I would want to extract a tiny bit or hope it burns off after a bit. So with a thorough oil drain (articulating the car to get the oil drain plug down hill) it took me 8 and 2/3 quarts to get to full when the manual calls for 7.9X quarts. Caveat Emptor, YMMV, etc...
Old 09-25-2015, 07:50 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks. Good information here as always. I'll let you know what I use.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:12 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 571 Posts

The gauge is a joke! How about a real dipstick? The problem is it would have to be 5ft long to reach the sump..

The real test of accuracy when measuring is repeatably. The gauge goes up and down depending on its mood ? Did it on all three of my 981s 14,15,GT4. carl
Old 09-25-2015, 10:35 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

What oil weight are you guys using? I have Motul X-Cess 5W-40 Oil...will that work?
Old 09-25-2015, 11:13 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
What oil weight are you guys using? I have Motul X-Cess 5W-40 Oil...will that work?
Whichever oil you use, make sure it meets Porsche specs or you will jeopardize your engine warranty.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:25 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 571 Posts

This time i did M1 5-50. On the other two 981CS's i ran 4qt M1 0-40 &
4qt M115-50 mix
. The 15-50 has 1300 Zink VS1100 0-40 &5-50. The mix gives you a 7.5-45.
Ran the mix on several track cars going back 11 years GT3&2 plus 2 981s no issues or consumption. carl
Old 09-26-2015, 03:22 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Whichever oil you use, make sure it meets Porsche specs or you will jeopardize your engine warranty.
I know it's Porsche approved for the 991 GT3.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:57 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Did my first elective oil change today, just ahead of a long road trip. The car only has 900 km on the clock, but it was either that or almost 3,000 km (estimated mileage when I return).

I bought a set of plastic ramps from Canadian Tire for half off, plus an oil canister tool and filter from our local import specialty place. The ramps are too steep to use from the front, but they work perfectly well if I reverse onto them. The front lip doesn't touch and, if I chock the wheels, it's perfectly safe to crawl under (and fairly roomy too). Best yet, with the slope of my driveway, it leaves the car fairly level.

It went smoothly and the only issue is, as expected, the canister makes an unholy mess when removed. It's best to loosen the canister with the tool, then remove it and unscrew the rest of the way by hand. If you leave the tool on, it won't fit between the sump/chassis gap, and it's also almost impossible to separate once slimy with oil. I filled the new filter part-way to minimize pressure drop when starting, replaced everything and torqued to spec. It took a couple of top-ups to get to 3 bars and all is well.

Easy to do and it saved me over $300 compared to getting it done at the dealer.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:12 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So what brand/type of oil do you all use? the manual specifies Mobil1 but I recently heard bad things about it (all rumor of course). Is there an agreed upon "best" oil?

I am about to do my post break in oil change at 1,300 miles.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:32 PM
Tplgt4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Did my first elective oil change today, just ahead of a long road trip. The car only has 900 km on the clock, but it was either that or almost 3,000 km (estimated mileage when I return).

I bought a set of plastic ramps from Canadian Tire for half off, plus an oil canister tool and filter from our local import specialty place. The ramps are too steep to use from the front, but they work perfectly well if I reverse onto them. The front lip doesn't touch and, if I chock the wheels, it's perfectly safe to crawl under (and fairly roomy too). Best yet, with the slope of my driveway, it leaves the car fairly level.

It went smoothly and the only issue is, as expected, the canister makes an unholy mess when removed. It's best to loosen the canister with the tool, then remove it and unscrew the rest of the way by hand. If you leave the tool on, it won't fit between the sump/chassis gap, and it's also almost impossible to separate once slimy with oil. I filled the new filter part-way to minimize pressure drop when starting, replaced everything and torqued to spec. It took a couple of top-ups to get to 3 bars and all is well.

Easy to do and it saved me over $300 compared to getting it done at the dealer.
You can buy a rabbit dropping pan from Fleet and Farm in the USA or Tractor Supply Company in Canada to keep the mess contained. Basically it's the steel pan with a 1" lip that covers the button of an animal cage and both stores have various sizes. Super inexpensive and ideal for containing oil overflow! I use a 2ftX3ft pan under my oil drain container. When I am done I clean it with brake cleaner and put it back against the wall.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:57 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Anyone know if changing the oil filter on a GT4 is like the 991 carrera? I think I still have all of those tools.
I think the oil filter is on the top of the engine. The tools may work.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:13 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gmaki
So what brand/type of oil do you all use? the manual specifies Mobil1 but I recently heard bad things about it (all rumor of course). Is there an agreed upon "best" oil?
The oil extracted during LWBS manufacturing is clearly the best.
The "best" oil debate is a sibling of the "best" seat debate. Try a search, read the gazillion posts, and you still won't have a consensus. I've used M1 in all my Porsches and have no reason to change. It doesn't even taste that bad.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:35 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob VN
I think the oil filter is on the top of the engine. The tools may work.
If by top, you mean bottom, then yes. You use a filter tool from below to remove the canister, change the filter insert and reinstall. It is messy, so the pan idea is a really good one.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:42 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STLPCA
The oil extracted during LWBS manufacturing is clearly the best.
The "best" oil debate is a sibling of the "best" seat debate. Try a search, read the gazillion posts, and you still won't have a consensus. I've used M1 in all my Porsches and have no reason to change. It doesn't even taste that bad.
I was hoping this wasn't going to be the case, but suspected it might.

I wanted it both so I could go and purchase my oil for my upcoming oil change and secondly because I want to add it to my "wisdom" tab on the google doc.

I knew it would be an issue though when I told some random guy on Mullholland I was going to change my oil around 1,000 miles and I got a 20 minute monologue about the chemical composition of Mobil1 and why some other oil was the so superior.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:52 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

On some of the previous cars, like the 993's, there is a single relay that can be pulled to disable the ignition and fuel pump - that allows the engine to be cranked over to fill filters after an oil change with no piston wash or ignition. Good technique if you want to avoid that instant of time while an oil filter fills and there is no oil pressure in the engine right after a change (then again, not sure on a GT4 where the oil filter is in the circuit).

Does such a spot exist on the GT4?

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: GT4 Oil Filter and Wrench