Xpel Headlight delamination issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:32 AM
jwlee4925
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
don't cover and if you do dont remove
I just had my 2017 - 718 BS wrapped with XPEL Ultimate and they did the headlights. I had not read this thread before hand. This was done 3 days ago. I assume that it is okay to remove it since it had not been on the headlights for very long?
Old 01-15-2019, 10:06 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by jwlee4925
I just had my 2017 - 718 BS wrapped with XPEL Ultimate and they did the headlights. I had not read this thread before hand. This was done 3 days ago. I assume that it is okay to remove it since it had not been on the headlights for very long?
If it is already on, I would leave it, but that's just my $.02 worth. If you choose to remove it, I would consult with your installer to see what technique they recommend to minimize the potential for pulling the UV coating off. Some people have had success pulling the film off of 981/991 headlights, others have not. I assume the 718/982/992 headlights have a similar UV coating but it is a different headlight shape and part number compared to the 981/991 headlights. Don't know if that would have affected the UV coating on the 718 headlights to make them more or less likely to suffer delamination. If I ever need to pull the Suntek off of mine and they delaminate, I'll have the coating completely removed, plastic polished, and clear protection film put back on that has UV protection built in to it. The Xpel/Suntek/3M products being used for paint protection have no UV protection built in because if they did, parts of the car covered in PPF would not fade but other parts would fade, creating an odd looking paint job over time.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:14 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave
I went with Prestige Film's "Clearguard Nano" which was installed by Tim Coats (TimAD) at Adonis Detailing. I had the entire car done. The depth, thickness and gloss when combined with Modesta was absolute perfection. My headlights were done also without any issues.
My GT4 (also Sapphire Blue) had the Clearguard Nano installed as well on the front of the car, including headlights, mirrors, and side vents.
Premier Protective Films of Fremont (California) did the install.
No issues and Top notch!

Old 01-15-2019, 10:09 PM
jwlee4925
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
If it is already on, I would leave it, but that's just my $.02 worth. If you choose to remove it, I would consult with your installer to see what technique they recommend to minimize the potential for pulling the UV coating off. Some people have had success pulling the film off of 981/991 headlights, others have not. I assume the 718/982/992 headlights have a similar UV coating but it is a different headlight shape and part number compared to the 981/991 headlights. Don't know if that would have affected the UV coating on the 718 headlights to make them more or less likely to suffer delamination. If I ever need to pull the Suntek off of mine and they delaminate, I'll have the coating completely removed, plastic polished, and clear protection film put back on that has UV protection built in to it. The Xpel/Suntek/3M products being used for paint protection have no UV protection built in because if they did, parts of the car covered in PPF would not fade but other parts would fade, creating an odd looking paint job over time.
Thanks very much for the advice and info!
Old 01-21-2019, 04:40 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
My GT4 (also Sapphire Blue) had the Clearguard Nano installed as well on the front of the car, including headlights, mirrors, and side vents.
Premier Protective Films of Fremont (California) did the install.
No issues and Top notch!
Interesting, I also had my Sapphire Blue GT4 PPF installed at Premier and they recommended not doing the headlights due to the delamination issue... go figure. LOL
Old 01-21-2019, 06:18 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Ditto here, right down to the Sapphire Blue. But a different Premier dealer.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:07 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

My PPF installer agreed to cover my headlights with the understanding there was no claim back to him for damage if the UV coating delaminated. The Suntek has been on the headlights for 3+ years now and 35k+ miles with no issues. I have not attempted to remove the film yet.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is kind of a pick your poison issue. Leave the headlights bare in a place like AZ and they will look like crap in 10k or so, pitting is a real issue here. Cover them and in 8 -10 years when the Xpel should be replaced you might have delimitation. I would just cover them personally.

Quick Reply: Xpel Headlight delamination issue