Sponsored by: APR

Installed an IPE exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 06:05 PM
bhgt2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed an IPE exhaust system

A good friend of mine (@cpc.me) is the Middle East dealer for IPE, so when I got a call from him asking if he could use my car for fitting the first IPE exhaust, I said why not.

Needlesss to say, the quality of their kit is fantastic. It came with everything, including new bolts and flanges and hoses. Driving home, it sounded insane with the valves open, and it was quieter than stock with them closed. I will take some GoPro footage tomorrow and update this thread. Meanwhile, here are some pictures and a video

Last edited by bhgt2; 09-20-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:42 PM
mikehinton
Intermediate

Any idea if there are any weight savings?
Old 09-17-2015, 10:13 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,186 Likes on 635 Posts

Looks nice but is it a solution looking for a problem? I know im old but the GT4s exhaust sounds great even closed and plenty loud open. After you spend 1000s on the system then are you dealing with CEL issues? I doubt if theres any real HP gain without a tune. And with the tune there goes the warranty!

Not trying to rain on your parade it looks real pretty. Its just that Ive done the drill on other cars and the outcome is always the same..carl
Old 09-17-2015, 10:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,112 Likes on 5,266 Posts

I am very sorry.

My condolences.

Best of luck to you.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:30 PM
mm1
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I am very sorry.

My condolences.

Best of luck to you.
Going to hear a lot of this but I'm agreeing. The car came with a 3k exhaust that sounds amazing. While this MIGHT sound better, you're getting to an area of disproportionate returns.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:12 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not convinced that anything could be tuned to sound better than the exhaust that comes with this car.

To me this would be like being married to Mila Kunis and thinking "Hmmm... I wonder if I'm settling... Maybe I should keep looking for someone more perfect."
Old 09-17-2015, 11:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
I'm not convinced that anything could be tuned to sound better than the exhaust that comes with this car.

To me this would be like being married to Mila Kunis and thinking "Hmmm... I wonder if I'm settling... Maybe I should go on a date with Roseanne Barr."
Fixed it for you.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:48 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Fixed it for you.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:57 PM
equ
Racer

I love my gt4, don't any one get me wrong... But honestly, I'm not in love with its sound. It's good, but unlike the rest of the car, not great, to my ears. Perhaps I haven't felt the full brunt as I'm still taking it somewhat easy on break-in.

My old e46 m3 dinan sounds good. My 987.1S sounded very good stock. My 987.2S was a bit too quiet stock, sounded great with a Remus. Added some drone, but I swear it sounded better (but then again did not get a chance back to back). Fwiw, the PSE button doesn't help, perhaps it hurts some.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:59 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by equ
I love my gt4, don't any one get me wrong... But honestly, I'm not in love with its sound. It's good, but unlike the rest of the car, not great, to my ears. Perhaps I haven't felt the full brunt as I'm still taking it somewhat easy on break-in.

My old e46 m3 dinan sounds good. My 987.1S sounded very good stock. My 987.2S was a bit too quiet stock, sounded great with a Remus. Added some drone, but I swear it sounded better (but then again did not get a chance back to back). Fwiw, the PSE button doesn't help, perhaps it hurts some.
Sound of the GT4 is subjective.

The quality, or lack thereof, of an iPE system is not.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:18 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by equ

I'm totally confused. My exhaust sounded amazing from day 1. And I mean amazing. I used to have a Ferrari with a Tubi exhaust and this sounds much better than that. The Motor Trend Ignition video comes close to capturing the character on video but can't replicate the raw anger of the live sound.

The 'loud' mode makes a huge difference in the sound quality when giving it gas, yet on constant throttle it's just as quiet as the exhaust in normal mode - an amazing feat. I've never heard another Boxster, Cayman, or even 911 variant that came even remotely close in terms of sound, with the single exception of the old Metzger GT3.

Do some people have dud exhausts?
Old 09-18-2015, 01:47 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Armytrix make some of the best aftermarket exhaust systems.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:14 AM
bhgt2
Instructor

Don't get me wrong, I love the original exhaust and have no problem with the car is stock form (except the lack of low end torque, and the long gear ratios). I didn't pay for this system, just helping IPE with a donor car

It was installed in a couple of hours and the car can go back to the original very quickly. That being said, it sounds so much better than the original!

Last edited by bhgt2; 09-20-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:00 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bhgt2
Don't get me wrong, I love the original exhaust and have no problem with the car is stock form (except the lack of low end torque, and the long gear ratios). I didn't pay for this system, just helping IPE determine what needs to be changed for the production version.

It was installed in a couple of hours and the car can go back to the original very quickly. That being said, it sounds so much better than the original!
I think it's great that you get to play with something like this. I also think it's cool that you're helping someone out at the same time by letting them do this on your car.

I personally wouldn't let anyone touch mine only because I'd be so worried about it not sounding quite the same when it was bolted back on again. Comments like those from equ scare me a little
Old 09-18-2015, 09:16 AM
bhgt2
Instructor

Did some GoPro runs today.. more vids on my youtube channel (www.youtube.com/ak114456)

Quick Reply: Installed an IPE exhaust system