Clear bra options

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 07:11 PM
TechnicGravy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear bra options

Hi all,

I'm interested in installing clear film paint protection on my car, but would like some opinions and advice from those of you that have experience with this product.

My local installer offers a choice of Xpel Ultimate, Premium Shield or premium shield elite. From what I understand the Xpel Ultimate and Premium Shield Elite are comparable, both being top coated self healing films. Warranty on Xpel is 7 years, and lifetime on the PS/PS Elite.

So to the questions...

1. The cost of the top coated films is approx 50% more than the standard film. Is it worth the cost?

2. Is there any texture to the film? Once on the car can you tell that they have been applied?

3. Does anyone have an opinion on Xpel vs Premium Shield Elite? Both are the same cost from my installer, but PS Elite has a longer warranty.

4. Any other pros/cons that are worth mentioning?

Thanks!
TG.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My experience is purely anecdotal, but I had Premium Shield Elite put on my car by a so-so installer and then had it removed and had XPEL ultimate installed by an excellent installer. Car was metallic black and I felt that the XPEL's surface was smoother, and that it looked clearer than the Premium Shield Elite. Maybe it was install technique or maybe because I was happier with the XPEL install, I thought it was better.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:33 PM
RussellNYC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

In your experience, any truth to the self-repairing claim that Xpel makes?
Old 09-06-2015, 08:52 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RussellNYC
In your experience, any truth to the self-repairing claim that Xpel makes?
I've had multiple friends with XPEL tell me that it does work for minor scratches; just let the car sit somewhere warm for a few hours. It won't heal full punctures, but it will keep the front end looking nicer when viewed more closely.

OP, I'm not familiar with Premium Shield or Premium Shield Elite. The two main names I've seen in clear bra these days are XPEL Ultimate and Suntek, and there are already lengthy comparative discussions between those here on RL and elsewhere. However, if your research suggests that Premium Shield/Elite are comparable to those two, then ask your installer which they prefer working with, because the quality of the install can be a much more significant influence on the overall result than than the quality of the film. As for the warranty, I have absolutely no reason to doubt that the respective vendors wouldn't stand behind their products, but I still wouldn't put too much stock in it. I don't think XPEL has even been around for 7 years, and I'm not aware of anyone ever having made a warranty claim on their clear bra, so I consider warranty length a marketing mechanism more than anything else. Additionally, if you'll be keeping the car long enough that you'd care about a warranty of that length, you might want to think about having the clear bra removed before then anyway. The longer clear bra has been on, the harder it becomes to remove, so long-term owners might consider removing it before it looks terrible, by which time newer clear bra will likely be on the market anyway.

Also, I thought XPEL's warranty was 10 years? That's true of XPEL Ultimate, at least. I'm not sure if they have downlevel products as well, and if they do, I'm not sure what the differences are.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:08 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by TechnicGravy
Hi all,

I'm interested in installing clear film paint protection on my car, but would like some opinions and advice from those of you that have experience with this product.

My local installer offers a choice of Xpel Ultimate, Premium Shield or premium shield elite. From what I understand the Xpel Ultimate and Premium Shield Elite are comparable, both being top coated self healing films. Warranty on Xpel is 7 years, and lifetime on the PS/PS Elite.

So to the questions...

1. The cost of the top coated films is approx 50% more than the standard film. Is it worth the cost?

2. Is there any texture to the film? Once on the car can you tell that they have been applied?

3. Does anyone have an opinion on Xpel vs Premium Shield Elite? Both are the same cost from my installer, but PS Elite has a longer warranty.

4. Any other pros/cons that are worth mentioning?

Thanks!
TG.
1. Yes

2. Yes. Those with eagle eyes can tell the covered versus non-covered parts. Minimize this by clearbra'ing full panel, never partial (i.e. full hood versus partial hood, etc.). Or, you can just condomize the entire car.

3. Buy the installer, not the product. That said, the top products on the market now are Xpel and SunTek. But again, find a reputable installer, and do as he (or she) suggests.

As to warranty. Who gives a rat ***. Regardless of how long the warranty is (whether 10 or 7 years) you should be replacing the PPF every 4-5 years.

4. I would suggest OptiCoat or CQuartz, either before or after install.

Enjoy the new car.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:49 PM
NAAMAZ
Advanced

Just put a full front with rolled edges, rockers, rear fender, etc with XPEL. Stunning job! Really cant be seen, can be felt. Cant speak to the healing properties, but it looks great
Old 09-07-2015, 12:15 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Have had xpel ultimate on 4 cars.

Zero texture. No yellowing or discoloring. Difficult to detect from a couple feet away (anyone who knows what to look for can see film even with excellent applications. )

Agree that the installer makes/breaks the end result.

Had a 3M product that yellowed after 2 seasons. Replaced with xpel ult and very happy. 3m also had orange peel texture (minimal but still present).

Can't speak to the other products mentioned.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:05 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a heads up.
Many people I've spoken to strongly suggest wrapping the
rear wing as it gets lots of hits from road debris.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:39 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Just a heads up.
I got my GT4 clear bra'ed...did the front bumper, fog lights, front fenders, hood, rear view mirrors, rockers/intake area, and the rear wing along with clearplex on the windshield. They used Suntek and it turned out great...can't even see it.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:28 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Just a heads up.
I figured it would get dirty since after all it's intentionally in the path of air travel, but if the rear wing is to be covered, wouldn't it also make sense to cover the ducktail, roof and A pillars? If so, I think I'm going to pass because the line has to be drawn somewhere (for me) and I'm more interested in protecting against impact by junk kicked up from vehicles in front of me than every piece of air debris. The only concession I'm making to the latter is the side intakes since they're actively vacuuming air toward them, so I can see how that would be a particularly bad spot.

Last edited by jphughan; 09-07-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Mr. Sparkle
Former Vendor

Just clarifying some info above regarding the Xpel film

Xpel "Ultimate" film has a 10 year warranty (not 7 years as listed above - that is for their 'extreme' film which does not have a self healing top coat)

Info copied from the Xpel "Ultimate" page

http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ul...ction_film.asp

"This product carries a 10 year warranty against, yellowing, cracking, peeling, staining, and hazing, and reimburses both film and labor in the unlikely event of a failure."

As stated above, I agree that the installer is very important. Also Xpel and SunTek are really where its at with paint protection film. Everyone else is trying to catch up. Both are very durable and diffiicult to see when installed properly

As far as the self healing properties with Xpel Ultimate - 100% legit. If it gets gouged there is nothing you can do. But light scratches (which would lead to widespread swirling as seen on older films) defintely will repair themselves with time and heat.

In my shop I have a little cabinet with stainless steel top. I wrapped it with Xpel Ultimate and pretty often I go at it with the wire brush and heat gun to show someone interested in the film that it really works. I've done this repeatedly to the same little area and it works everytime.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:17 PM
TechnicGravy
Advanced

Thanks for all the feedback and information! I will double check with the installer on which type of Xpel film they are using and the respective warranty. I would assume it is ultimate because he said it was a top coated film. I probably mixed up the warranty

There are many installers here the greater Boston area, but so far I have been talking to the two that my SA recommended.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:18 PM
TechnicGravy
Advanced

Originally Posted by jphughan
if the rear wing is to be covered, wouldn't it also make sense to cover the ducktail, roof and A pillars? If so, I think I'm going to pass because the line has to be drawn somewhere (for me) and I'm more interested in protecting against impact by junk kicked up from vehicles in front of me than every piece of air debris.
Yes! This is part of what I'm struggling with. How much to wrap!
I don't like the look of partially wrapped panels because the lines are very easy to see, especially on a white car, so I'm only interested in full panels.

Am I crazy to think about just doing the full front bumper and leaving the hood and fenders?

The cost to wrap the full front with mirrors and headlights is around $2k. Adding rockers, rear wing, side scoops etc probably gets you closer to $3k.
That's quite a chunk of change!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:56 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TechnicGravy
Yes! This is part of what I'm struggling with. How much to wrap!
I don't like the look of partially wrapped panels because the lines are very easy to see, especially on a white car, so I'm only interested in full panels.

Am I crazy to think about just doing the full front bumper and leaving the hood and fenders?

The cost to wrap the full front with mirrors and headlights is around $2k. Adding rockers, rear wing, side scoops etc probably gets you closer to $3k.
That's quite a chunk of change!
I know, it does seem like a lot but so does a repaint.

I went for bumper, full hood, and full fenders for $1,400, which was a REALLY hard cost to swallow. I wrapped the leading edge of the side scoops myself as well as the inside of the wheel arches for about $12 (because I just didn't wat to spend anymore).

Based on where bugs, dirt and rocks have hit in the first 1,000 miles, if I was trying to spend the absolute least on protection film I would do the front bumper as you say and do a 'DIY job' on the leading edge of the scoops and wheel arches. If you get the odd chip down the road on the hood or the fenders it won't be many and it should be an easy fix, especially if you have solid white.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:38 PM
TechnicGravy
Advanced

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
I went for bumper, full hood, and full fenders for $1,400
Thanks Andy! That seems like a good price, was that for XPel ultimate?
I was quoted $1200 for the same thing but it was the standard non-healing film.

Quick Reply: Clear bra options