Sponsored by: APR

Australian GT4s

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 08:41 PM
.dee
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Charliekay
That is what I am aiming for as well. Do you still have the GT4 because I noticed a GT3 in your display pic. Upgraded?
GT4 was traded for the .2 GT3, cannot help but think that the new .2 GT3 engine in a GT4 platform would be an ideal combination, although have not tracked the new GT3 yet, so far I prefer the size and driving dynamics of the GT4.

but the new 4.0 is out of this world! worth the price of admission for that alone
Old 01-28-2018, 08:47 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by .dee
GT4 was traded for the .2 GT3, cannot help but think that the new .2 GT3 engine in a GT4 platform would be an ideal combination, although have not tracked the new GT3 yet, so far I prefer the size and driving dynamics of the GT4.

but the new 4.0 is out of this world! worth the price of admission for that alone
Congrats mate. In that green colour as well? Would be beautiful. GT3 has always been my goal car, hopefully one day.

A 500hp 4L in a GT4 would be epic. Deman have done a GT4 Stroker kit which takes it to a 4L and approx. 500hp.

Looking forward to seeing it out at the Burrows Day. I should be there on the March 8th one.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:59 PM
mungee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any of these parts you would recommend as a must that transformed the car and help reduce times?

I already have the rear toe links, but unsure how much of a difference the other suspension components make.. Front/Rear drop links, CMS Sway Bars, BBI Bump Steer Rods, Thrust Arms, & Bushing Kit.

The DSC controller is also tempting but I haven't had 3 gear failure yet. Any reason Porsche could not warrant a 3rd gear failure if I added the DSC controller?
Charlie,

I am a huge fan of the monoball bits, as they provide you the feel with almost no concessions around NVH. I have used them on all of my Porsches in the past, and if you search for every last tenth then they certainly help. Confidence and feel is where the lap time comes from.

I haven't fitted the front bar (Warwick has) but the rear made a huge difference for me. So my front is new and unused but Warwick likes them both apparently. The GT4 rolls way too much (soft springs) and the bars help that certainly. Again the faster you go the more you notice this, so its all relative. The faster you go the more these parts make a difference. Plus with the monoball bits if you do one part you might as well do them all, That's why I did them all.

DSC Controller is a must in my opinion, and it's a 10 min swap and will cause you no issue when 3rd gear fails, or you just swap it back out, very easy to do.

I upgraded the rotors and pads purely for longevity as Porsche rotors wear very fast. The girodiscs last a long time and have much better cooling (72 vanes). braking performance didn't really change much, as the softer Porsche rotor do bite hard, but save the expensive Porsche rotors for the street. The DS11'1 pads feel better than the stock pads also, more consistent. With the upgraded rotors brake temps are much reduced after each session.

My plenum, Headers and Evolve Techniq tune however blew me away. My power graphs speak for themselves...Couldn't recommend them highly enough. The standard car feels like the handbrake is on until 5000rpm, where as now it pulls hard and from low down. 430hp easily...

The extra aero bits certainly have slowed me down the straight by a few km/h but you can feel it in the turns. My speed through turn 1 is a prime example.

But like anything Charlie you can throw lots of parts at a car, but you need to push to extract the benefit of these bits, its a very slippery slope mate.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:00 PM
mungee
Racer

Originally Posted by Snowman.
I've entered the full Mountain Motorsports tarmac rally series in the Super Sports Class this year. Means I can run just the factory half cage but am speed limited to 140km/hr. But having done 3 years of Targa Tas I know that 140km/hr is plenty fast enough to have fun where it counts.

I'll definitely be back for Bathurst in November too.

mungee - I could be keen on a few of your parts too.
Cool let me know
Old 01-28-2018, 09:08 PM
Snowman.
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mungee
Charlie,

The extra aero bits certainly have slowed me down the straight by a few km/h but you can feel it in the turns. My speed through turn 1 is a prime example.

Yeah I have them. I'm 10km/hr slower down the main straight at PI but 10km/hr faster through T1.

At Bathurst I was also about 10km/hr slower down Conrod but I was 1s faster across the top. The net result at both tracks has been pretty much identical lap times though with and without the aero. But I think the aero looks cool and you definitely feel like the car behaves better even if it isn't any faster. So I'm leaving all of mine on..
Old 01-28-2018, 09:10 PM
Snowman.
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

Also - Mark and I both prefer the Trofeo's at 32 hot.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:15 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Originally Posted by mungee
Charlie,

DSC Controller is a must in my opinion, and it's a 10 min swap and will cause you no issue when 3rd gear fails, or you just swap it back out, very easy to do.

But like anything Charlie you can throw lots of parts at a car, but you need to push to extract the benefit of these bits, its a very slippery slope mate.
Understand mate. I have done some good times at SMSP and Wakefield on not so perfect laps, so I think if I can get a few more parts to get the car to behave better then I can do some great times. I am aiming for a 1.05.xx @ Wakefield and done a 1.07.10 with traffic and the car as is.

Can you PM the price for the DSC controller and Aero parts and I will do some research on the other bits.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Snowman.
Yeah I have them. I'm 10km/hr slower down the main straight at PI but 10km/hr faster through T1.

At Bathurst I was also about 10km/hr slower down Conrod but I was 1s faster across the top. The net result at both tracks has been pretty much identical lap times though with and without the aero. But I think the aero looks cool and you definitely feel like the car behaves better even if it isn't any faster. So I'm leaving all of mine on..
If the car behaves better then it will probably help improve overall lap times for me because confidence plays a big part, especially at places like Bathurst where it is my first time racing it and don't really have deep enough pockets to risk damaging it.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:19 PM
mungee
Racer

I have found 29 hot on all 4 is what works for me.

I normally start around 25 cold and do a few laps and come in and bleed them down.
No more than 30 for me as the car gets very greasy for me anything above that. I usually try to run 29 hot. But be careful as some gauges vary as I have discovered. And 29 on mine might be 30 on your etc etc. At the last supersprint Hamilton's, mine and another gauge all showed 3 differing results, 1/2 -1 pound between them all.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:37 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

I ran the GT4 at Barbagello for the first time in the GT4. Wow, now I see what everyone is saying about the tall gears. It was ridiculous. 2nd / 3rd / 4th, WTF...

Also ran the Trofeo R's, miles ahead of Pilot Sxxx and Maxx. Fantastic road rubber, but A050 they are not... Hit 1.46 lateral G's. yeehaaaa.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:05 PM
mungee
Racer

All,
I am about to list the following parts in classifieds but thought id reach out to the locals first. here is what I have for sale currently off my GT4. Prices are very good so we can both benefit. Photos are available if required so just PM me or you will the ad pop up on rennlist over the next couple of days.
BMC Filters & New Recharge Kit which is unused - $200

IPD Plenum & TB - $1200
Durametric Cable – Used once - $300
Brand new Cantrell Sub Bar - $200

Last edited by mungee; 03-05-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:08 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Was out at Wakefield yesterday for PCNSW Supersprint and went home with a 1.05.33 which I am exteremly happy with. It came from the 2nd session of the day, but unfortunately the day was cut short due to an incident on the track and the track needing repairs and deemed unsafe. I think there is a 1.04 in it so will try get it in August when we are back there.

Here is a video of the lap.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:58 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Congrats and awesome lap mate. You are certainly doing the GT4s justice. I saw a photo of the car from the "incident"; no chance they're going to buff that out.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:50 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
Congrats and awesome lap mate. You are certainly doing the GT4s justice. I saw a photo of the car from the "incident"; no chance they're going to buff that out.
Thanks mate. Was expecting to see you there.

No chance they are going to buff it out. Unfortunate for the owner, apparently it is only 2 weeks old.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:06 PM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

must of been enormous to damage the wakefield park track enough to close it down considering how it looks normally ha ha - driver ok?
Old 04-29-2018, 11:18 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Originally Posted by O5C4R
must of been enormous to damage the wakefield park track enough to close it down considering how it looks normally ha ha - driver ok?
Driver was fine, car not so much.

He went straight on at the fish-hook and into the tire wall. Because of the damage caused to the tire wall it wasn't structurally sound and was unsafe to continue with the day incase someone came off again in the same spot.

There were a few people taking photos of the car afterwards so some will probably find their way online.

Quick Reply: Australian GT4s