Sponsored by: APR

Australian GT4s

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 01:28 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by .dee
I guess one thing to consider is over rev issues, essentially you are winding out 2nd into 3rd and stomping on the gas, as the drive-line is not engaged you will over rev the **** out of it if not quick enough to spot the issue. mine didnt bang or knock or have any vibrations to give you the heads up.
Given the driveline is not forcing the over rev, I would have thought the rev limiter would kick in preventing any over rev issues.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:55 AM
.dee
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Given the driveline is not forcing the over rev, I would have thought the rev limiter would kick in preventing any over rev issues.
Hope so! didn't test it...
Old 10-04-2017, 04:25 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Mine went a couple of months ago and was a June 16 build....about a week after 05C4R's went. I had to wait about 2 weeks. I was with PCW and they were excellent. I think the wait is because Porsche are now supplying remanufactured boxes so need to get the old boxes back and completely re-build them. You can rest assured that remanufactured boxes will last an eternity!
Porche NA have now refused warranty on one car that had an aftermarket LSD. So if you haven't lost 3rd yet, don't get a Guards or similar as it may void the warranty.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:33 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
You can rest assured that remanufactured boxes will last an eternity!
What makes you say that? I haven't seen any evidence that replacement boxes are any better than the original. In fact several people have lost 3rd gear more than once on the same car.

To my knowledge no one has any confirmed details of what Porsche have done to fix the problem.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:36 AM
Charliekay
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

What makes you say that? I haven't seen any evidence that replacement boxes are any better than the original. In fact several people have lost 3rd gear more than once on the same car.

To my knowledge no one has any confirmed details of what Porsche have done to fix the problem.
Apparently the first couple that were "replaced" were done so with existing units, so the problem with 3rd gear was never actually rectified.

Once they realized it was a design flaw rather than a couple of breaks, they redesigned 3rd gear. Apparently noone with a newly designed box has had any issues. Everyone who had a reoccuring issue didn't have the new part number, everyone with new parts number for the box hasn't had an issue.

Hope that made sense. Long day.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:47 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Charliekay
Apparently the first couple that were "replaced" were done so with existing units, so the problem with 3rd gear was never actually rectified.

Once they realized it was a design flaw rather than a couple of breaks, they redesigned 3rd gear. Apparently noone with a newly designed box has had any issues. Everyone who had a reoccuring issue didn't have the new part number, everyone with new parts number for the box hasn't had an issue.

Hope that made sense. Long day.
It makes sense, but I have read every post of that thread also, and there is a fair amount of guesswork people are doing and no real confirmation that the remanufactured boxes are any different. The fact that no problems with them yet may just mean they haven't been in the wild for very long. Not wanting to be overly negative, but no hard data or official confirmation has been provided. Would be good if gtgears could crack one of the new ones open and confirm how it had been fixed.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:49 PM
mungee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if you haven't lost 3rd yet, don't get a Guards or similar as it may void the warranty.
Did you still have your plenum etc fitted, tie rods etc when you went back to PCW?

This is my concern as I have 4 track days this month and am just awaiting the infamous 3rd gear to go every time I change gear.

Wanting to see what I'll have to strip off as I have a lot of parts fitted now...lol.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:45 AM
Charliekay
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

It makes sense, but I have read every post of that thread also, and there is a fair amount of guesswork people are doing and no real confirmation that the remanufactured boxes are any different. The fact that no problems with them yet may just mean they haven't been in the wild for very long. Not wanting to be overly negative, but no hard data or official confirmation has been provided. Would be good if gtgears could crack one of the new ones open and confirm how it had been fixed.
I was sure I read somewhere in all the posts that the replacement boxes that failed again had old part numbers, and then they started replacing with new part numbers - an x or a 2 at the end - and none of those have failed.

Would be interesting to see if these start to have issues as well but I would hope not now that they have seen a repetition of the issue and enough data to rectify it.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:17 AM
.dee
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just on this I have had a call from PCSS, confirming that the box will be replaced under warranty, were very apologetic due to the time to get it in (6-8weeks) they have also 100% confirmed that this is not their first occurrence of this issue and that the new box coming is different to the ones in the car now, the last two digits (or letters) on the part number were different and they have been told that the 3rd gear should not be an issue on the new g/boxes
Old 10-09-2017, 01:31 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by .dee
just on this I have had a call from PCSS, confirming that the box will be replaced under warranty, were very apologetic due to the time to get it in (6-8weeks) they have also 100% confirmed that this is not their first occurrence of this issue and that the new box coming is different to the ones in the car now, the last two digits (or letters) on the part number were different and they have been told that the 3rd gear should not be an issue on the new g/boxes
Thats good feedback - thanks.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:35 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

To those going out to SMP Wednesday afternoon, I now can't make it. Got a new puppy last Wednesday and it's more intensive than when we had kids.....good fun though.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:45 AM
mungee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To those going out to SMP Wednesday afternoon, I now can't make it. Got a new puppy last Wednesday and it's more intensive than when we had kids.....good fun though.
So you and Chalie are leaving me all alone out there tomorrow. I could use the practice anyway
Old 10-16-2017, 10:54 PM
Snowman.
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok so this is probably a long shot - but has anyone on here fitted the factory front cage?

The only one I know that's been fitted has been Tim's and he had all of his roof lining etc removed. I was looking at getting the front cage installed (was going to do some Targa events next year) but wasn't keen on butchering the car to fit the cage.

So was wondering if anyone else had done it and kept all the lining etc in the car? I think Warrick has purchased it but I don't think he got it fitted correct?
Old 10-17-2017, 02:03 AM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowman.
Ok so this is probably a long shot - but has anyone on here fitted the factory front cage?

The only one I know that's been fitted has been Tim's and he had all of his roof lining etc removed. I was looking at getting the front cage installed (was going to do some Targa events next year) but wasn't keen on butchering the car to fit the cage.

So was wondering if anyone else had done it and kept all the lining etc in the car? I think Warrick has purchased it but I don't think he got it fitted correct?
hi Snowman - the only GT4 I've ever seen with the roof liner still in place was on Jim Richards car he had last year. I tried to get the same cage as him but that cage builder closed down and no one else would do one similar as they all said it was way too dangerous. in fact, in hindsight, I don't know how the one Jim Richards had was CAMS approved it was so tight inside. he flipped the car pretty fast and has a factory cage in the GT3RS which also has the roof liner removed

do you have a club sport, I don't and Porsche wont sell the cage if you don't have a club sport VIN

let me know if you want any contacts for after market cages, I was ***** deep into them this time last year. Turned out to be a lot more involved then I expected. First problem was finding anyone to do a bolt in on a GT4. rang every cage builder in NSW and Vic. then when I wanted a bolt in with the interior all in tact lololololol I got laughed off the other end of the phone.

basically my next car will have a factory cage option for sure, even if they are 3 times the price
Old 10-17-2017, 03:32 AM
Snowman.
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Oscar,

I figured that might be the case. Technically the front factory cage doesn't meet the CAMS specs either - BUT its FIA approved so trumps the CAMS regs.

I do have the option of trying out some of the 130km/hr events (Mount Motorsports calls them Super Sports and Targa calls it GT Sports) where only the factory half cage is needed (yes I have the Clubsport). The GT4 has a built in factory speed limiter so it might be worth trying those out first before deciding to "wreck" the car with the front cage install. That all said the last Tarmac Rally I did in 2012 I did end up 20m into the forest and it was in a section well under 130km/hr so the front cage is handy for peace of mind even if it isn't a requirement.

I'm catching up with Tim at Bathurst next month so will have another good look at it and make a decision then.

Quick Reply: Australian GT4s