Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Australian GT4s

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:14 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the straights won't be too long. 130km/h is plenty on the roads.
and if you are a newbie, it's a great way to learn the roads/etiquette.
i've only done track, but not any targa, as think it is very risky. touring would be a great place to start
on unfamiliar roads. all your cornering will be done at 50 - 100 anyways.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:38 AM
V-GT400
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
the straights won't be too long. 130km/h is plenty on the roads.
and if you are a newbie, it's a great way to learn the roads/etiquette.
i've only done track, but not any targa, as think it is very risky. touring would be a great place to start
on unfamiliar roads. all your cornering will be done at 50 - 100 anyways.
Hi Jimmy

Thanks for your thoughts. I have done Targa Tasmania a number of times before in Nissan GT-R. Finished in top 10 a few times and 2nd Outright once so I probably have a different perspective on things. I am sure that lots of competitors will be happy with the 130kph limit. Just struggling with the concept myself.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:05 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

ah ok - all good then.
sorry to preach to the converted!
Old 09-20-2015, 08:13 AM
V-GT400
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
ah ok - all good then.
sorry to preach to the converted!
Not a problem at all Jimmy. I hope you have a great time there. There are some straights in Targa across the top of Cethana and on Mt Arrowsmith where you can see 280-300kph if your car can do it. Can be scary. I remember thinking "what the hell am I doing here" one time on Cethana during pouring rain at 260kph and the wipers starting to lift off the windscreen. Makes you think we must be all crazy.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:25 AM
V-GT400
Intermediate

For those that are interested I have found that Rays have the TE37 Ultra available in 11" x 20" ET 50 for the rear which is the exact factory fit. However the fronts are only available in 9" x 20" ET 45. This puts the wheel outside 22mm further out. I measured a GT4 today and I think this puts it a few mms outside the wheel arch. So it is a no go in current form. Rays would be smart to offer an 8.5" x 20" with the correct offset and they would get a lot of business. I am looking at whether the wheel can be finessed a little to make it fit.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:02 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a lot of talk on these forums about people putting clear film on their cars. Is this a track only thing? Or a North American thing? In 20 years of car ownership I've never done this. Any of you guys planning on getting this done?
Old 09-20-2015, 09:16 AM
V-GT400
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bardman
There is a lot of talk on these forums about people putting clear film on their cars. Is this a track only thing? Or a North American thing? In 20 years of car ownership I've never done this. Any of you guys planning on getting this done?
I am investigating it. PCM have recommended an installer that uses the Premiumshield Elite product. The installer says it is better than the USA favourites of Suntek and Xpel. I have no idea so it would be good to hear from our USA friends who have actual experience with these products.

Seems like we need to watch out for the headlights though because products like Xpel will delaminate the lenses when removed.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:03 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Getting mine done tomorrow.
Last car had it and saved a lot of damage. The side scoops will get a lot of damage from sand and small gravel chips.
Much less pulverizing on your car at the track if nobody overtakes you. -I try to never let that happen!
Old 09-20-2015, 12:14 PM
IMOA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In regards to wheels with the exchange rate where it is japan is an excellant option but I would strongly recommend tws over rays, they are more of a race team supplier as opposed to a consumer supplier, their wheels are lighter and they will do a short run with custom offsets. And, frankly, te37s are massively overrated.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:46 PM
V-GT400
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IMOA
In regards to wheels with the exchange rate where it is japan is an excellant option but I would strongly recommend tws over rays, they are more of a race team supplier as opposed to a consumer supplier, their wheels are lighter and they will do a short run with custom offsets. And, frankly, te37s are massively overrated.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will investigate this brand. I looked at their website quickly and the Magnesium range looks amazing but very expensive. Not surprising if they are genuine magnesium and super light.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:47 PM
V-GT400
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GAZZ
Getting mine done tomorrow.
Last car had it and saved a lot of damage. The side scoops will get a lot of damage from sand and small gravel chips.
Much less pulverizing on your car at the track if nobody overtakes you. -I try to never let that happen!
What material are you having applied Gazz?
Old 09-20-2015, 07:53 PM
cp993
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dammit! Mine arrived last week so I could have been number 1! I have been on holidays so am only picking it up on Monday. I have the whole week off though so will make up for lost time. Where are you based?
Well Monday is here so good luck with picking up your car and enjoy. Looking forward to seeing it around.

Best wishes
Chris
Old 09-20-2015, 08:52 PM
Snowman.
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V-GT400
Hi Jimmy

Thanks for your thoughts. I have done Targa Tasmania a number of times before in Nissan GT-R. Finished in top 10 a few times and 2nd Outright once so I probably have a different perspective on things. I am sure that lots of competitors will be happy with the 130kph limit. Just struggling with the concept myself.
I did Targa a few times myself in GT-Rs - am thinking we should know each other!? (I did it 2009-2011)

Old 09-20-2015, 08:59 PM
V-GT400
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Snowman.
I did Targa a few times myself in GT-Rs - am thinking we should know each other!? (I did it 2009-2011)
Probably we do. PM me if you like and we can chat off line.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:47 PM
cp993
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V-GT400
I am investigating it. PCM have recommended an installer that uses the Premiumshield Elite product. The installer says it is better than the USA favourites of Suntek and Xpel. I have no idea so it would be good to hear from our USA friends who have actual experience with these products.

Seems like we need to watch out for the headlights though because products like Xpel will delaminate the lenses when removed.
Thanks yes, i have been reading about the headlight issue too. Have a 2 friends that have just had their cars done by the guy you are referring to and both quite happy with the job. One on a 978.2 Cayman and the other a brand new Cayman GTS which was picked up last week and virtually driven straight to the installer in Knoxfield or Rowville I think it is....

I was also looking at getting the remainder of the car treated with Opticoat Plus as well.

C

Quick Reply: Australian GT4s