Sponsored by: APR

Caliper stud kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 05:46 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Caliper stud kit

This seems to be the kit to use in order to make pad changes easier, plus save wear & tear on your uprights:
http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...csk-detail.htm

Has anyone confirmed that the 991 GT3 version is the one for the GT4? I'd hate to order and then find that Centerlocks vs. wheel studs creates an offset issue (I can't see it, but better safe than sorry).

Also, any Tarret discount codes floating around? Or maybe group buy?
=====================================

EDIT: The group buy is a go and we've had over 30 people express interest. Head on over to the group buy page and place your orders (pricing information is there). Once they have 20 confirmed orders, they'll start shipping. It should run for 3 weeks. Thanks to all for making this possible.

2nd EDIT: Studs have been installed on a GT4 and are confirmed the correct size (62 mm front/85 mm rear)

3rd EDIT: Install guide (with lots of pictures) now available

Last edited by DeerHunter; 08-30-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:59 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I plan to buy the same kit and have the exact same questions. Have you already contacted them directly?
Old 08-22-2015, 07:03 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tarett GT4 brake caliper studs

I contacted Ira Ramin at Tarett and he advised the use of 62mm and 85mm caliper studs for the GT4 with steel brakes. All I need is a GT4.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:23 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jphughan
I plan to buy the same kit and have the exact same questions. Have you already contacted them directly?
I sent them an e-mail this afternoon and will report if I hear anything about a possible group buy.

Originally Posted by Rob VN
I contacted Ira Ramin at Tarett and he advised the use of 62mm and 85mm caliper studs for the GT4 with steel brakes. All I need is a GT4.
So the same as the GT3 then. Is yours coming or are you still waiting for an allocation?
Old 08-22-2015, 07:26 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 798 Posts

We know the front is GT3 based. But didn't AP in that video say something to the effect that the rear is a derivative of the Turbo?
Old 08-22-2015, 07:28 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ExMB
We know the front is GT3 based. But didn't AP in that video say something to the effect that the rear is a derivative of the Turbo?
I think he indicated that all four hubs were from the Turbo. Brakes, however, are from the GT3. How that affects stud selection, I don't know.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:41 PM
rickdm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talking to the GT tech at my dealership about these studs and he mentioned that there is also a hard line to the calipers that you have to deal with when changing pads. Wasn't somebody offering a braided SS line to deal with this?
Old 08-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still in V070 hell

I'm still waiting for an allocation so I'm stuck in V070 hell.

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I sent them an e-mail this afternoon and will report if I hear anything about a possible group buy.

So the same as the GT3 then. Is yours coming or are you still waiting for an allocation?
Old 08-22-2015, 09:03 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rickdm
I was talking to the GT tech at my dealership about these studs and he mentioned that there is also a hard line to the calipers that you have to deal with when changing pads. Wasn't somebody offering a braided SS line to deal with this?
Yes and no. I talked to orthojoe on here and he confirmed that the attached pic is a rough approximation of his GT3. And as we know the GT4 brakes are based on it. The short hard line (item 8) goes to a bracket (item 6) and from there it is flex line (item 5). The bracket needs to be removed from its mounting point in order to move the caliper.

In regards to the SS brake lines Clark at ApexPerformance, a sponsor on here, sells some or you can contact your dealer for a solution.

Who is your dealer?

Old 08-22-2015, 09:30 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Yes and no. I talked to orthojoe on here and he confirmed that the attached pic is a rough approximation of his GT3. And as we know the GT4 brakes are based on it. The short hard line (item 8) goes to a bracket (item 6) and from there it is flex line (item 5). The bracket needs to be removed from its mounting point in order to move the caliper.

In regards to the SS brake lines Clark at ApexPerformance, a sponsor on here, sells some or you can contact your dealer for a solution.

Who is your dealer?

Do we know for sure that the SS lines obviate the need for the bracket to simplify caliper removal? This stud and nut kit would still be worth it on its own to avoid one-time bolts and upright thread wear, but SS lines further simplifying caliper removal would be great, seeing as Porsche inexplicably removed the bridge to allow quick pad swaps on the front calipers.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:37 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jphughan
Do we know for sure that the SS lines obviate the need for the bracket to simplify caliper removal? This stud and nut kit would still be worth it on its own to avoid one-time bolts and upright thread wear, but SS lines further simplifying caliper removal would be great, seeing as Porsche inexplicably removed the bridge to allow quick pad swaps on the front calipers.
If you look at the dashed lines you will see different connections at each end of the hard and flex lines. All the SS lines I've seen replace the flex lines only. And both front and rear calipers use the same tech.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:19 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Studs will help a ton. It's really easy to cross thread the bolts, especially when you are changing when whole assembly is really hot.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:13 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,719 Likes on 2,690 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Studs will help a ton. It's really easy to cross thread the bolts, especially when you are changing when whole assembly is really hot.
Agree - I upgraded to studs on my Evo (6 piston Brembo kit) and it's a big improvement. But someone needs to offer a solution to remove that bracket issue!
Old 08-23-2015, 02:17 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Used them on my 981CS only way to go if your going to be switching pads for track. It's amazing how much more difficult they made a simple job. It used to take longer to R&R the wheels than to switch pads.now it's a 1.5 hr job! Carl
Old 08-23-2015, 02:19 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 571 Posts

[QUOTE=4carl;12530607]Used them on my 981CS only way to go if your going to be switching pads for track. It's amazing how much more difficult Porsche made a simple job. It used to take longer to R&R the wheels than to switch pads.now it's a 1.5 hr job! Carl[

Quick Reply: Caliper stud kit