Sponsored by: APR

Anybody move to a GT4 from a 991S

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:18 PM
TechnicGravy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody move to a GT4 from a 991S

I was wondering if anyone here has got a GT4 that previously owned a 991s.
Interested to hear your thoughts and comparisons on driving the two!
Old 08-21-2015, 11:08 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Driven both, there is no comparison. One has race car like suspension and the other is a softer street car. The GT4 engine is the weak link. Even keeping the RPMs low the engine does not have the race car like nature like you do on the GT3's. I had a RS and the engine personalty was amazing. Maybe it's the light weight or something but when you dive it, you know this car was different.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr
Driven both, there is no comparison. One has race car like suspension and the other is a softer street car.
I think it would depend on the options on the 991S you drove. A 991S with PDCC and PASM Sport suspension in sport mode is anything but soft. And the 991S turned a 5 second faster Ring time than the GT4, so there's that.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:36 PM
TechnicGravy
Advanced

I actually do own a 991C2S, with PASM sport suspension (no PDCC), PSE and PDK. I got a chance to drive a GT4 today, so here are my observations...

The GT4 sounds louder. I didn't realize that I'd forgotten to turn on the PSE until late into my drive. At low engine rpm and speed, it is comparable, but it really opens up when you mash the gas pedal and the revs get up over 4k. I didn't take it much over 4k, because the car only had a few miles on it, but I can only imagine what it sounds like once you hit 7k+!

Steering wheel, and steering feel is more direct than the 991. The rim of the wheel feels thinner. I'm not sure if I like the alcantara over the leather finish though.

Gearbox and clutch felt great. I didn't find the pedal to be stiff, loved the short movement, and rowing gears was very precise.

Overall performance of the car was difficult to gauge because I wasn't getting it up into the powerband, but I'd say they are comparable, with the 991 having a little more torque.

It would be nice to hear from someone who has driven them both in anger to get a real comparison.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:50 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I traded in a 2014 991 4S for my GT4. Acceleration feels very similar. Hard to tell a difference. 4S might win by a nose just because I had PDK and launch mode gives you an edge. The reasons I got rid of 4s are
1. Much better stock track setup than 991.
2. PDK got very boring. Don't think I can go back to it after driving this gearbox.
3. GT4 is bargain of the century for a Porsche if you get one for MSRP. Cheaper than any 991 S. Especially after adding the necessities in the 991. Pasm, etc.
4. Mid-Engine
5. GT4 looks better. I think it even looks better in person than a GT3 IMHO.
6. GT4 will hold its value much better than any non GT 991. I took a bath on 4S two years into it. Depreciation sucks on non GT 991's
7. Gearbox. Its better than PDK, although not faster, and also better than 7 speed based 991 manual box.

If I needed the rear seats of the 991 I would have kept it. But this car is a track/weekend fun car and better suited to my needs than 991 was. Im not a 911 snob and don't need to tell people I "only have a cayman". Yes I have heard people say this about caymans, not so much the GT4 but definitely the other cayman models. After putting around 100 miles on the car over the week I have had it, its just more fun and engaging to drive. Don't know how to say it better. I don't miss the 4S at all.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:05 PM
mm1
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
I traded in a 2014 991 4S for my GT4. Acceleration feels very similar. Hard to tell a difference. 4S might win by a nose just because I had PDK and launch mode gives you an edge. The reasons I got rid of 4s are
1. Much better stock track setup than 991.
2. PDK got very boring. Don't think I can go back to it after driving this gearbox.
3. GT4 is bargain of the century for a Porsche if you get one for MSRP. Cheaper than any 991 S. Especially after adding the necessities in the 991. Pasm, etc.
4. Mid-Engine
5. GT4 looks better. I think it even looks better in person than a GT3 IMHO.
6. GT4 will hold its value much better than any non GT 991. I took a bath on 4S two years into it. Depreciation sucks on non GT 991's
7. Gearbox. Its better than PDK, although not faster, and also better than 7 speed based 991 manual box.

If I needed the rear seats of the 991 I would have kept it. But this car is a track/weekend fun car and better suited to my needs than 991 was. Im not a 911 snob and don't need to tell people I "only have a cayman". Yes I have heard people say this about caymans, not so much the GT4 but definitely the other cayman models. After putting around 100 miles on the car over the week I have had it, its just more fun and engaging to drive. Don't know how to say it better. I don't miss the 4S at all.
Best summary I've seen.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:16 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Anybody move to a GT4 from a 991S

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
AMEN brother! You have seen the light! That's what I'm talking about!

Old 08-21-2015, 05:10 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Op - been meaning to ask this question

Originally Posted by Archimedes
.... And the 991S turned a 5 second faster Ring time than the GT4, so there's that.
Really - didn't see that! Evo?
Old 08-21-2015, 06:13 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by HiWind
Thanks Op - been meaning to ask this question

Really - didn't see that! Evo?
Timo Kluck turned a 7:37.9 in a first year 991 Carrera S. Porsche distributed the video.

Best posted time so far for a GT4 is a 7:42. Porsche claims a 7:40 private time, but there's no video.

Close enough to be a wash, though the GT4 was on SC2s, so a bit of a grip advantage.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:34 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Quick notes comparing it to my 991. So today was the first day I took the 911 out since I got the GT4. Now this is a 100% fair as the 911 is fully broken as it has 16k miles on it. Overall feel of the 991 vs the GT4 is surprisingly different. To start out with the steering in the 991 isn't nearly as good as the GT4 as far as feel and precision go. The 911 just feels more floaty where the GT4 is just direct. Engine wise the 911 definitly pulls harder then the GT4 its a noticeable difference. Now I haven't taken the GT4 past 4k so I was driving my 911 the exact same way and keeping it under 4,000. It just pulls easier and harder from 1-4k then the GT4 does in every gear. Now this is a little disappointing but by no means takes my enjoyment away from the car. Hopefully this frees up a little once I get some miles on her. Brake pedal feel between the two cars is quite different as well the GT4 is way more linear where the 911 has a dead spot at the beginning of the pedal travel. Gearbox/Clutch wise the GT4 just feels better in every possible way. Clutch I would say is a hair heavier then the 911 but with a way shorter travel and the same goes for the actual shifter itself. As for Handling the 911 will always have that rear engine corner exit down pat but I can't just get over the turn in capabilities of the GT4 they just never seem to find the limit. The cayman just feels way more planted and direct with every input you give it. My personal feelings between the two cars is they are almost as far apart from each other in driver experience as an M4 is compared to a cayman s. The 911 just felt big compared to the cayman even though dimensional they aren't that much different. The biggest thing I took away from driving the 911 today is that although I love this car and have no complaints at all with it, I couldn't help missing the GT4 every minute I was behind the wheel. I plan on taking both cars up to the mountains this weekend so i will have more to report then. So everyone that was lucky enough to get an allocation you will not be disappointed. I just can't wait to get some more miles on her and I can really open her up and explore.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:22 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Now I haven't taken the GT4 past 4k
Thanks for the review. Unfortunately, there have not been many opportunities to review/compare a broken in GT4. IME, the GT4 comes alive around 5500-5700 rpm and up. It has a bump around 4500, but above 5500 is a lot better. I don't have access to a 991s for comparison.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

The feel of these two cars is obviously going to be very different, just like the Cayman S. But the actual performance is going to be very similar, at least if the Carrera is a performance build. You just have to pay more for it in the Carrera S.

I have a Cayman S and a performance build Carrera S and they're two very different experiences, both rewarding in different ways. The one I like best is the one I'm in at the time.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:55 PM
TechnicGravy
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback and insights guys. I will be trading my 991s for the GT4, so it's good to hear some real world opinions from others that have experience with both cars.
I kinda wish the GT4 had a little more power, but it definitely compensates in overall driving feel and engagement.
The 991 GT3 engine in the GT4 would be epic!
Old 08-21-2015, 09:58 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Timo Kluck turned a 7:37.9 in a first year 991 Carrera S. Porsche distributed the video.

Best posted time so far for a GT4 is a 7:42. Porsche claims a 7:40 private time, but there's no video.

Close enough to be a wash, though the GT4 was on SC2s, so a bit of a grip advantage.
No one has publicly set a lap time with GT4 on the ring yet. The time you're quoting was a calculation that Porsche worked out when they released the car in February.

I don't think I need to remind everyone on here how conservative Porsche is about performance numbers.

The GT4 has essentially the same motor, a significantly better suspension, weighs several hundred pounds less, and has much sticker tires... there is no way the C2S is faster in real life.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:20 PM
DarkAngel996
Track Day

Start/end for the 991 Carrera S may not be the same as GT4

Quick Reply: Anybody move to a GT4 from a 991S