GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Anybody move to a GT4 from a 991S

Old 08-25-2015, 02:55 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

OK a 991 S with this and this and that and that "might" be faster than the gt4 by a second or two lol. And then the price of the 991 S is the same as a stripper GT3 which will then kill the 991 S. With Porsche it all comes down to how much do you want to spend for the performance you want. We can all agree that the GT4 might be one of the best "bargain" Porsches to be made. To get like performance with any other of their models you will need to spend 20/25K more than the price of a GT4. This can't be overlooked. Thus the reason this car is so dang popular. Its the bargain of the century when it comes to Porsche models. Porsche did do a few small things to hold this car back. They saved some development time and money by using existing gear ratio parts etc., but they still hit it out of the park. They probably with better gear ratios and PDKS could get this car to 60 in the mid 3 second range and get real close to gt3 times on the track. But then we would be paying $125 for it and I would still buy it at that price
Old 08-25-2015, 03:32 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
With Porsche it all comes down to how much do you want to spend for the performance you want. We can all agree that the GT4 might be one of the best "bargain" Porsches to be made. To get like performance with any other of their models you will need to spend 20/25K more than the price of a GT4. This can't be overlooked. Thus the reason this car is so dang popular. Its the bargain of the century when it comes to Porsche models.
Yes the GT4 is a relative bargain vs other Porsche models:

Most still equate performance with value, so Porsche charges for more of it. However what interests me is what you can do with this car. Sure you can track a regular Carrera, Cayman, etc, but Porsche doesn't really recommend it. In fact they make it clear that if you do you're on your own re warranty, and you'll really want different rubber and a bunch of aftermarket parts to get the adjust-ability and durability serious track work requires.

The GT4, on the other hand, is designed to track. Sure the car might be slower than a 991 GTS with sticky rubber, etc, but come back in a year and the GT4 will still be happily lapping away, while the GTS owner might be getting a little sick of changing our wheel bearings, brake rotors and pads, making mods to get camber, etc. I'll be willing to bet the GTS owner will visit the track a little less often because of it, and hence there skills will be a little less sharp. Then ask yourself- do you want to be the slow guy in the fast car, or the fast guy in the slow car who's passing him?

We don't get much pleasure out of what a car is. It's what you do with a car that makes it rewarding. And the GT4 let's you do different things...
Old 08-25-2015, 04:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
OK a 991 S with this and this and that and that "might" be faster than the gt4 by a second or two lol. And then the price of the 991 S is the same as a stripper GT3 which will then kill the 991 S. With Porsche it all comes down to how much do you want to spend for the performance you want. We can all agree that the GT4 might be one of the best "bargain" Porsches to be made. To get like performance with any other of their models you will need to spend 20/25K more than the price of a GT4. This can't be overlooked. Thus the reason this car is so dang popular. Its the bargain of the century when it comes to Porsche models. Porsche did do a few small things to hold this car back. They saved some development time and money by using existing gear ratio parts etc., but they still hit it out of the park. They probably with better gear ratios and PDKS could get this car to 60 in the mid 3 second range and get real close to gt3 times on the track. But then we would be paying $125 for it and I would still buy it at that price
Agree with everything you said except the pricing of the S approaching a stripper GT3. You can build a performance S for $120k sticker and actually get it even cheaper.

And don't get me wrong, I think the GT4 will be a lot more fun to drive. My C2S is a much better performing car than my Cayman S, but the Cayman is a more fun car to drive. And the GT4 just puts that on steroids.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:25 PM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have and have tracked both cars. 991S with all performance options and PDK. 991S is faster on any long straight. 911 engine pulls harder midrange and doesn't run out of breath at top end. GT4 has higher cornering speed. Agree that times are likely very close and the faster of the two is track dependent. 991S is very competent and great car. GT4 is more confidence inspiring and more totally more fun to drive. Which says a lot as I think the 991S is an excellent ride. I am enjoying rowing my own gears again. GT4 also feels more "special", whatever that means.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:28 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone really give a crap if a 991S is as fast or faster than a GT4, because
in the end we all know that the GT4 is more fun to drive, and in my book that's the
name of the game....fun to drive factor.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:09 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 224 Likes on 127 Posts

Double post
Old 08-26-2015, 09:10 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 224 Likes on 127 Posts

]
Old 08-26-2015, 10:45 AM
FCH80
Track Day

Fun to watch and give more justice to the GT4 vs Carrera GTS
Old 08-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

I will be doing a personal comparison test (autocross) between my 911-50 and my GT4 once it is broken in. I expect the 911-50 to be slightly faster due to the power kit & PDK but also expect the GT4 to be WAY more fun.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:38 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Anybody move to a GT4 from a 991S

Originally Posted by Rallyeporsche
I will be doing a personal comparison test (autocross) between my 911-50 and my GT4 once it is broken in. I expect the 911-50 to be slightly faster due to the power kit & PDK but also expect the GT4 to be WAY more fun.
Looking forward to your report. But I think you will be surprised with the results. Drove the gt4 a couple of weeks ago and I think it will beat the 911 at Auto X! But be ready to use 1st gear.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:55 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FCH80
Porsche Cayman GT4 und 911 GTS im Stuckbrüder-Check - GRIP - Folge 316 - RTL2 - YouTube

Fun to watch and give more justice to the GT4 vs Carrera GTS
What I don't understand there is the severe short shift that the GT4 driver executed during the drag race. Did they maybe agree to drive both cars according to break-in limits? Either way, that part seems a completely invalid test.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:47 AM
TechnicGravy
Advanced

Originally Posted by jphughan
What I don't understand there is the severe short shift that the GT4 driver executed during the drag race. Did they maybe agree to drive both cars according to break-in limits? Either way, that part seems a completely invalid test.
That drag race was lost on the start. The driver of the GT4 had a poorer reaction time, and then to compound the problem launched too aggressively and smoked the rear tires. Even so, the race was very close.

I think if they had run the race a few times, and/or alternated drivers, the result could have easily been different.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:07 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TechnicGravy
That drag race was lost on the start. The driver of the GT4 had a poorer reaction time, and then to compound the problem launched too aggressively and smoked the rear tires. Even so, the race was very close.

I think if they had run the race a few times, and/or alternated drivers, the result could have easily been different.
I agree. I also noticed the problems you called out, but those can be attributed to lesser skill, whereas shifting as early as the GT4 driver did almost had to be a conscious decision. I know people can get eager on shifts when they're excited, and the GT4 is undoubtedly an exciting car, but THAT early?

Still, as you say, impressive that the GT4 did as well as it did under those conditions.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Well the GTS had the oft criticized 7MT in it, so it's kind of a wash. The GT4 is going to make crisper shifts, particularly into 3rd. They could have put it up against a typically specced car with the PDK.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:38 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Well the GTS had the oft criticized 7MT in it, so it's kind of a wash. The GT4 is going to make crisper shifts, particularly into 3rd. They could have put it up against a typically specced car with the PDK.
GTS 7MT has been improved significantly from the 991S.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody move to a GT4 from a 991S