Sponsored by: APR

Anybody move to a GT4 from a 991S

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 01:45 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
No one has publicly set a lap time with GT4 on the ring yet. The time you're quoting was a calculation that Porsche worked out when they released the car in February.

I don't think I need to remind everyone on here how conservative Porsche is about performance numbers.

The GT4 has essentially the same motor, a significantly better suspension, weighs several hundred pounds less, and has much sticker tires... there is no way the C2S is faster in real life.
O really... The lap time I quoted was set by Christian Gebhart on April 15th in dry conditions. It's posted on the Nordscleife lap time list with an ID number. Here's the video.

As regards a comparison, the C2S has more power, better grip and, at least with PDCC and SPASM on board, has a fantastic suspension. Two very different instruments/approaches that achieve similar results. And again, the C2S was on stock tires, not the SC2s the GT4 had. The GT4 is not a GT3, it's a faster Cayman. And I have no doubt someone will turn a faster lap time than 7:42 in a GT4, but not likely by much, so they'll still be pretty comparable. Porsche is claiming a 7:40.

BTW, the sound the GT4 is making in the video is orgasmic.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:54 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
O really... The lap time I quoted was set by Christian Gebhart on April 15th in dry conditions. It's posted on the Nordscleife lap time list with an ID number. Here's the video. Porsche Cayman GT4 7:42 Nordschleife Supertest sport auto - YouTube

As regards a comparison, the C2S has more power, better grip and, at least with PDCC and SPASM on board, has a fantastic suspension. Two very different instruments/approaches that achieve similar results. And again, the C2S was on stock tires, not the SC2s the GT4 had. The GT4 is not a GT3, it's a faster Cayman. And I have no doubt someone will turn a faster lap time than 7:42 in a GT4, but not likely by much, so they'll still be pretty comparable. Porsche is claiming a 7:40.

BTW, the sound the GT4 is making in the video is orgasmic.
Logically speaking, it's just hard to imagine a reason for the GT4 being any slower than a 911S. Better brakes, better balance, better suspension, better tires, lighter. Just a very small power deficiency (from what I've heard, even smaller than Porsche's "official" numbers indicate, but I don't know).

I guess the proof is in the pudding... but there's just so many variables with all these lap times.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Logically speaking, it's just hard to imagine a reason for the GT4 being any slower than a 911S. Better brakes, better balance, better suspension, better tires, lighter. Just a very small power deficiency (from what I've heard, even smaller than Porsche's "official" numbers indicate, but I don't know).

I guess the proof is in the pudding... but there's just so many variables with all these lap times.
Weight difference is 120lbs, and a C2S fitted with PCCB, PDCC and SPASM isn't gonna have much of a disadvantage to the GT4 in either the braking or suspension department. And the C2S has more power (total and per lb), better rear grip and a better drag coefficient. On most tracks I do think the GT4 will be faster, but the margin won't be very big. The 991 C2S, properly equipped, is still a very capable car on the track. Throw on SC2s and it's even more so.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:50 PM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe on larger tracks they are comparable but on smaller tracks i'm guessing the GT4 will win agianst the 991s. In that motor trend test the GT4 is already faster than the Ferrari 458, Corvette ZR1, and the R8 V10 plus on the streets of willow. I doubt the 991s is faster especially if it's manual vs manual.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:19 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Weight difference is 120lbs, and a C2S fitted with PCCB, PDCC and SPASM isn't gonna have much of a disadvantage to the GT4 in either the braking or suspension department. And the C2S has more power (total and per lb), better rear grip and a better drag coefficient. On most tracks I do think the GT4 will be faster, but the margin won't be very big. The 991 C2S, properly equipped, is still a very capable car on the track. Throw on SC2s and it's even more so.
120 lbs is not insignificant, but you're probably right that the brakes will ultimately be a wash since neither is likely to fade after a lap or two around the 'Ring. I find it difficult to imagine that the rear grip will matter very much on most tracks with how much power each of these cars has. I don't think the GT4 is going to start trying to oversteer much more with, what is it, 4% more weight up front? Especially given the meaty tires it has back there, along with the rear wing's downforce.

In any case, even if the speed comparison is nearly a wash, that's a win for the GT4 in my book, but it still seems likely that the GT4 is faster overall.

... But yeah I guess, the lower drag coefficient and higher power output probably make the difference on a track like the Ring with so many long straights.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by gtr
Maybe on larger tracks they are comparable but on smaller tracks i'm guessing the GT4 will win agianst the 991s. In that motor trend test the GT4 is already faster than the Ferrari 458, Corvette ZR1, and the R8 V10 plus on the streets of willow. I doubt the 991s is faster especially if it's manual vs manual.
But they said the same thing about the 981S vs. the base Carrera, but even on a short tight track the lowly base Carrera with zero performance options stomped it.

Again, I think there are tracks where one would be faster and some where the other would be faster, but I'd bet the difference is not very large in either direction anywhere, especially if you put them on the same tires. The idea that the GT4 is a super light race car and the 991S is comparatively an overweight touring car is folly. It's good marketing speak, but it's simply not reality.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
120 lbs is not insignificant, but you're probably right that the brakes will ultimately be a wash since neither is likely to fade after a lap or two around the 'Ring. I find it difficult to imagine that the rear grip will matter very much on most tracks with how much power each of these cars has. I don't think the GT4 is going to start trying to oversteer much more with, what is it, 4% more weight up front? Especially given the meaty tires it has back there, along with the rear wing's downforce.
The standard 991S wheel/tire sizes are identical to the GT4s and the optional wheels are even wider out back with 305 rubber. Plus the engine position simply gives it more rear grip coming off the corners. I have 295s on my CS and 305s on my C2S. The Carrera has a more rear grip and is simply easier to get the power down on exit. And a SPASM car has more downforce than a stock Carrera, as the wing deploys higher and steeper than a standard Carrera, plus its got a 20mm drop. There's little to nothing separating the GT4 and a well optioned C2S from a performance perspective. From a money perspective, about $25k, at list sticker vs. sticker.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:21 PM
gtr
Racer

Again, I think there are tracks where one would be faster and some where the other would be faster, but I'd bet the difference is not very large in either direction anywhere, especially if you put them on the same tires. The idea that the GT4 is a super light race car and the 991S is comparatively an overweight touring car is folly. It's good marketing speak, but it's simply not reality.
We will wait and see but please help me understand your logic.

GT4-has GT3 front suspension, GT3 brakes, lighter weight, mid engine layout

is equal to

991s-has smaller brakes, engine in the boot, heavier weight, non motorsport tuned suspension.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:06 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

BTW: IIRC the ring laptime for the 991C2S with PCCB/PDCC/SPASM was set with a car that was equipped with street tires and PDK.

Equip that same 991C2S with MPSC2's and it might have been 5-8 seconds faster at the ring.

Update:

Completely forgot about the active diff (e-diff) on the 991C2S, PTV+ that also has some serious advantages over a regular mechanical diff + brakes (PTV) when putting the power down.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:18 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by gtr

is equal to

991s-has smaller brakes, engine in the boot, heavier weight, non motorsport tuned suspension.
A 991S properly equipped for a performance build would have PCCB brakes, a slightly better HP/weight ratio than the GT4, a sport suspension with Sport PASM and PDCC, and PDK. And yes, I believe that package wouldn't be far off the GT4 lap time on a big track.

And again, the GT4 is slightly lighter, but it also has less power and actually a slightly lower HP to weight ratio than the 991S.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:24 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr

is equal to

PDK in the 991 would be a counter point to some of these.

From the MotorTrend Thread:

Hmm...trap speed at 115mph.

As compared to 991S:

Manual
12.7 @ 113.2

PDK
12.0 @ 116.5
Old 08-25-2015, 10:48 AM
gtr
Racer

Originally Posted by Bardman
PDK in the 991 would be a counter point to some of these.

From the MotorTrend Thread:
He was talking about tire advantage thus I had figured you guys were comparing platforms.

Manual vs Manual
Similar power to weight ratio
Porsche's superior 911 chassis vs budgeted mid engine platform
Which layout is faster? Don't know by how much but I'm betting on the GT4 to be faster 4 out of 5 times based the platform. But some people feel it's about a wash with the 911s.

I'm sure most fans will put this to the test and maybe Caymans will finally get some respect from 911 owners.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:50 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

The standard 991S wheel/tire sizes are identical to the GT4s and the optional wheels are even wider out back with 305 rubber. Plus the engine position simply gives it more rear grip coming off the corners. I have 295s on my CS and 305s on my C2S. The Carrera has a more rear grip and is simply easier to get the power down on exit. And a SPASM car has more downforce than a stock Carrera, as the wing deploys higher and steeper than a standard Carrera, plus its got a 20mm drop. There's little to nothing separating the GT4 and a well optioned C2S from a performance perspective. From a money perspective, about $25k, at list sticker vs. sticker.
Oh, I somehow missed that you're comparing it to a performance-optioned 911S. Yeah, once you add PDK and whatnot, the S will almost certainly be able to hang with the GT4. But of course, as you mentioned, by that point, you have widened the price gap pretty significantly.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

On equal tires I agree a properly equipped 991S is faster on average. PDK and active roll control are obvious advantages, but I suspect it's really the rear suspension that carries the day, mainly over bumps or under power on the limit. On a smooth track the GT4 will do very well, but it'll be hampered by tall gearing if things get too tight.

Some early tests of the 991S by Sport Auto, etc showed very quick times, but in hindsight the car looks like a ringer. Still, over a single lap GT4 vs performance spec 991S will likely come down to the track. Where the GT4 has a big edge is endurance, durability and tune-ability. Endurance spec brakes and larger wheel bearings are designed for sustained track abuse, while dialing in proper camber and handling balance will make both the tires and driver much happier.

The big issue isn't speed, however, it's feel. A base lotus Elise won't lap quicker than many performance sedans, but the feel behind the wheel will be entirely different. Similar here. Speed isn't the goal, it's a means to an end.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:41 PM
acey81
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

You have to look at the stock GT4 as a baseline, and with a proper track setup (something that the 991S won't be able to do) the difference between the cars will be bigger, especially over more than one lap.

But the electronic trickery of the 991 will run it close over a single lap.

Quick Reply: Anybody move to a GT4 from a 991S