GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential! - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
GT4 For the Cayman GT4 and the similar to come Boxster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!

Reply

Old 07-07-2015, 05:18 PM
  #1  
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
BGB Motorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 1,878
Default GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!

While we have chimed in on some other posts where members are curious about the power potential one of the most highly anticipated Porsche road cars ever, I wanted to go ahead and start our own thread given that we are a forum sponsor and can keep the thread specific to our offerings. Before we go any further, we realize that there are several of you that intend on keeping this car 100% stock and we have zero problem with that. We have invested everything into the idea of a 3.8L Cayman or Boxster so we are well aware of how great of a package this can be in stock trim.

HOWEVER I have received half a dozen emails over the last 2 weeks about unlocking the power and torque potential of this car so here is what we have to offer (EVERYTHING IS LISTED ON THE NEW AND IMPROVED BGB WEB SITE SO FEEL FREE TO VISIT http://www.teambgb.com/category-s/112.htm):

STAGE 1 STREET PACKAGE :
  • BMC High Flow Air Filters - $225 (Incl. S&H - EXCL. LABOR OF 1 HOUR @ $100 / HR)
  • Cargraphic Stainless Steel Longtube Manifolds with 200 Cell Cats - $2919.50 (Incl. S&H - EXCL. LABOR OF 2 HOURS @ $100 / HR)
  • IPD 82mm Competition Plenum & 82mm 3.8L 991 Throttle Body - $1340 (Incl. S&H - EXCL. LABOR OF 3 HOURS @ $100 / HR)
  • Upgraded 3.8L GT4 Mapping for 7930 RPM - $4670.00 (Incl. S&H to/from Germany - requires 2 week turnaround and ECU removal - includes spare modified ECU and original - EXCL. LABOR OF 1 HOUR @ $100 / HR)

TOTAL COST: $9,145.00 SHIPPED TO YOUR DOOR - $9,700.00 INSTALLED LOCALLY - ESTIMATED ENGINE POWER AND TORQUE OF 415 HP AND 325 LB/FT

We just completed our most recent 3.8L conversion of a 2014 981 Cayman S and it has all of the Stage 1 options listed above and it's PDK. Tomorrow we will head to the dyno and do a baseline that will be 100% representative of what these mods would produce on a new Cayman GT4. The good thing about our existing products is that unlike with most new cars, we don't require any time to R&D, retrofit or test any of these parts. Everything is ready to ship now and the only thing we are waiting for is the arrival of your new cars!

STAGE 1 TRACK PACKAGE:
  • Schroth 6-Point Enduro Harnesses - $579 EA (Excl. S&H / LABOR OF 2 HOUR @ $100 / HR)
  • Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines - $145.00 (Excl. S&H / LABOR OF 1 HOUR @ $100 / HR)
  • Castrol SRF React Racing Brake Fluid (2) - $160.00 (Excl. S&H / LABOR OF 1 HOUR @ $100 / HR)
  • BGB 4-Point Harness Bar - $1995.00 (Excl. S&H/ Incl. 10% PACKAGE DISCOUNT/ LABOR OF 4 HOUR @ $100 / HR - INDICATE POWDERCOAT COLOR CHOICE)
  • Pagid RS29 Brake Pads (TBD - ESTIMATE FOR NON-PCCB) - $840.00 (Excl. S&H / LABOR OF 1 HOUR @ $100 / HR)

TOTAL COST: $3,719.00 EXCLUDES SHIPPING - $4,619.00 INSTALLED LOCALLY (EXCLUDES SHIPPING)
__________________
BGB Motorsports Group

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 07-07-2015 at 06:06 PM.
BGB Motorsports is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:26 PM
  #2  
twentyseven
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 110
Default

Why does it require purchase of a spare ECU if the original needs to be sent to Germany?
twentyseven is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:37 PM
  #3  
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
BGB Motorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 1,878
Default

Originally Posted by twentyseven View Post
Why does it require purchase of a spare ECU if the original needs to be sent to Germany?
This is an added option offered by the tuner for 1000 euros for those that want their original computer left untouched in the event that the car needs to go somewhere else. You end up with 1 that is modified and the original that is stock.
__________________
BGB Motorsports Group
BGB Motorsports is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:57 PM
  #4  
user1029
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
user1029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,359
Default

That is a very fair per hour labor rate. I've seen some dealerships charge more per hour than Interventional Cardiologists

Alas there isn't any convenient tuning solution with these cars such as Cobb Accessport. We are back to the days of pulling ECUs now
user1029 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:03 PM
  #5  
DeerHunter
User
 
DeerHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 939
Default

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports View Post
[*] IPD 82mm Competition Plenum & 82mm 3.8L 991 Throttle Body - $1340
Nice to see parts ready to go even before most customers get their cars. Some questions:

[1] On your website listing for the throttle body, the text states:
PORSCHE 82MM THROTTLE BODY
If your Porsche Cayman or Boxster is going to make additional horsepower and torque, its engine needs to be able to digest a larger volume of air. One of the most purchased upgrades for these cars is the IPD Competition Plenum mated to this larger 82mm throttle body. The existing 74mm version is replaced with this larger diameter Bosch unit that is standard on all 3.8L Porsche engines.
Does the GT4, given that it's a 3.8, come standard with the 82 mm TB?


[2] What's the effect on warranty for these items? I assume that any tune will void the powertrain warranty, but what about intake and exhaust mods?
DeerHunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:07 PM
  #6  
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
BGB Motorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 1,878
Default

Originally Posted by user1029 View Post
That is a very fair per hour labor rate. I've seen some dealerships charge more per hour than Interventional Cardiologists

Alas there isn't any convenient tuning solution with these cars such as Cobb Accessport. We are back to the days of pulling ECUs now
I don't want to be the bearer of terrible news but yes. The issue is that you're not just screwing with timing, fuel and RPM. These guys have exhausted hours manipulating this firmware, changing the way intake flaps open and close, etc. I will post a dyno curve from the PDK car we did that makes 375rwhp.





Originally Posted by DeerHunter View Post
Nice to see parts ready to go even before most customers get their cars. Some questions:

[1] On your website listing for the throttle body, the text states:

Does the GT4, given that it's a 3.8, come standard with the 82 mm TB?


[2] What's the effect on warranty for these items? I assume that any tune will void the powertrain warranty, but what about intake and exhaust mods?
Negatory. The car has the smaller 74mm throttle body. And as much as I would like to think that some of these mods won't, I think it's best to assume that everything will. Sorry...I know that's not what you wanted to hear but I would just assume be up front with everyone.

New motor with 20 miles, cats, mufflers, no flyhweel and it was about 100 degrees with 70% humidity. And yes, it's PDK too.
__________________
BGB Motorsports Group
BGB Motorsports is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:17 PM
  #7  
DeerHunter
User
 
DeerHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 939
Default

Fair enough. Follow-up question: Can the stock ECU compensate for some additional airflow? In other words, what are the estimated gains by doing everything but the ECU upgrade?
DeerHunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:35 PM
  #8  
Da Hapa
User
 
Da Hapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dana Point, CA
Posts: 1,195
Default

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports View Post
While we have chimed in on some other posts where members are curious about the power potential one of the most highly anticipated Porsche road cars ever, I wanted to go ahead and start our own thread given that we are a forum sponsor and can keep the thread specific to our offerings. Before we go any further, we realize that there are several of you that intend on keeping this car 100% stock and we have zero problem with that. We have invested everything into the idea of a 3.8L Cayman or Boxster so we are well aware of how great of a package this can be in stock trim.

HOWEVER I have received half a dozen emails over the last 2 weeks about unlocking the power and torque potential of this car so here is what we have to offer (EVERYTHING IS LISTED ON THE NEW AND IMPROVED BGB WEB SITE SO FEEL FREE TO VISIT http://www.teambgb.com/category-s/112.htm):

STAGE 1 STREET PACKAGE :
  • BMC High Flow Air Filters - $225 (Incl. S&H - EXCL. LABOR OF 1 HOUR @ $100 / HR)
  • Cargraphic Stainless Steel Longtube Manifolds with 200 Cell Cats - $2919.50 (Incl. S&H - EXCL. LABOR OF 2 HOURS @ $100 / HR)
  • IPD 82mm Competition Plenum & 82mm 3.8L 991 Throttle Body - $1340 (Incl. S&H - EXCL. LABOR OF 3 HOURS @ $100 / HR)
  • Upgraded 3.8L GT4 Mapping for 7930 RPM - $4670.00 (Incl. S&H to/from Germany - requires 2 week turnaround and ECU removal - includes spare modified ECU and original - EXCL. LABOR OF 1 HOUR @ $100 / HR)

TOTAL COST: $9,145.00 SHIPPED TO YOUR DOOR - $9,700.00 INSTALLED LOCALLY - ESTIMATED ENGINE POWER AND TORQUE OF 415 HP AND 325 LB/FT

We just completed our most recent 3.8L conversion of a 2014 981 Cayman S and it has all of the Stage 1 options listed above and it's PDK. Tomorrow we will head to the dyno and do a baseline that will be 100% representative of what these mods would produce on a new Cayman GT4. The good thing about our existing products is that unlike with most new cars, we don't require any time to R&D, retrofit or test any of these parts. Everything is ready to ship now and the only thing we are waiting for is the arrival of your new cars!
First and foremost, thanks for doing this. While I'm sticking with my GT4 purchase, I think options and potential product improvements are better for everyone.

I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind.
1. As a California resident, I've got to contend with CARB. I'm sure I'm not alone in that paradigm. Based on historical experiences, I'm assuming the BMC airfilters, IPD plenum and factory TB represent no issues with CARB. I am assuming that the cats will be a problem with CARB. I'd guess the ECU turning is a potential issue. Any thoughts on that?
2. Based on my assumptions, and I know this is an awful lot to ask but... any chance of doing your baseline dyno's on a piece by piece basis. I'm guessing I'm not going to be able to do the cats and ECU but would love to see what difference a plenum and airfilters might make.
3. Porsche seems to have gone to great lengths in saying that the X51 power kit and TB won't fit in the GT4 yet you've apparently had success. any thoughts or comments?

Thanks again for all the work you've done for the community.
Da Hapa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:54 PM
  #9  
hot-J
User
 
hot-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,531
Default

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports View Post
While we have chimed in on some other posts where members are curious about the power potential one of the most highly anticipated Porsche road cars ever, I wanted to go ahead and start our own thread given that we are a forum sponsor and can keep the thread specific to our offerings.

STAGE 1 STREET PACKAGE

We just completed our most recent 3.8L conversion of a 2014 981 Cayman S and it has all of the Stage 1 options listed above and it's PDK. Tomorrow we will head to the dyno and do a baseline that will be 100% representative of what these mods would produce on a new Cayman GT4.
AWESOME. I am anxious to see the dyno chart. Please include the type of dyno you are using. Two questions. You mentioned the 375whp cayman. What extra does that car have? And for inspection purposes, SHOULD hooking up the stock ECU only be enough to pass?
hot-J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:02 PM
  #10  
Nacelle
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Nacelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cascadian Corridor
Posts: 1,050
Default

Nicely done John.... Here we go!
Nacelle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:01 PM
  #11  
user1029
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
user1029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,359
Default

Originally Posted by Da Hapa View Post
3. Porsche seems to have gone to great lengths in saying that the X51 power kit and TB won't fit in the GT4 yet you've apparently had success. any thoughts or comments?
user1029 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:19 PM
  #12  
CarAholic
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 395
Default

Will you by chance have catless headers available in the future?
CarAholic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:29 PM
  #13  
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
BGB Motorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 1,878
Default

Originally Posted by CarAholic View Post
Will you by chance have catless headers available in the future?
Yes sir...they're available now actually or I should say, I can have a set made for you right now and delivered to your door in 2 - 3 weeks. The stainless steel manifolds with the cats were designed around the system we helped Cargraphic design for the 987 racing program; the headers you want without cats are the same exact ones we ran all season long and through the Rolex 24 without any failure, except they have the same 2-hole flange design that all 981s use.

I have 2 sets 981s; one is a 3.4L in the DR right now and the other a 6-spd Power Kit conversion we did that lives in Wisconsin. We had both customers source the minicats and that keeps the O2 sensing happy. At the time it couldn't be done with the mapping but now any CELs can also be turned off in the mapping if desired.
Here is a link. http://www.teambgb.com/CARGRAPHIC-98.../perp81fkr.htm

Originally Posted by hot-J View Post
AWESOME. I am anxious to see the dyno chart. Please include the type of dyno you are using. Two questions. You mentioned the 375whp cayman. What extra does that car have? And for inspection purposes, SHOULD hooking up the stock ECU only be enough to pass?
Details on the car that generated the graph above are PDK, 991 Power Kit, aftermarket manifolds with 200 cell cats that were already on the car when it arrived, Cargraphic Stainless Steel Sport Rear Silencer mufflers, BMC air filters and the aftermarket mapping from Germany. The dyno was your ordinary Dynojet that we use for all of our conversions and what we used when developing the parts from the race program.
__________________
BGB Motorsports Group
BGB Motorsports is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:37 PM
  #14  
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LexVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 17,671
Default

I wish everyone would charge $100/hour. Nice write-up, as always, BGB!

So, power goes from 385 up to 415 and torque goes from 309 to 325. Nice. Never cheap to extract power out of these new Porsches.
LexVan is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:43 PM
  #15  
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
BGB Motorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 1,878
Default

Originally Posted by LexVan View Post
I wish everyone would charge $100/hour. Nice write-up, as always, BGB!

So, power goes from 385 up to 415 and torque goes from 309 to 325. Nice. Never cheap to extract power out of these new Porsches.
Thank you very much! We need to do something to attract business to this part of the world that has very few Porsche owners. Between the labor rates and the sales tax, the shipping costs are covered and the car comes to and goes from a place that specializes in this work. It's the only way we have been able to keep going so we do what it takes to get the work!
__________________
BGB Motorsports Group
BGB Motorsports is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: