Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!

Old 10-16-2015, 01:46 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by straight-road
Almost 10K for additional 30 horses and 15 lb gain. The return of investment ratio is abysmal plus the future problem with warranty being voided. This tells me that very likely Porsche Motorsport did not really leave much on the table before giving us the car. In all honesty, I would rather invest something like a front lift and ways to fix the understeering issue, than a mere 30 horses gain for a freaking ten thousand dollars and voiding the warranty.
You must be new to this beetle ridden planet. 10K for just headers is pretty common...for single digit HP gains. It's not like a 100ft-lbs and 50hp from a turbo tune at $1K.

Welcome to the club....
Old 10-16-2015, 02:04 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Any thought of a cam for stage 2 John?
Old 10-16-2015, 05:50 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 267 Posts

Marginal gains, such is life modding an N/A car Now shorter gears would better to "invest" in (very noticeable difference with perhaps gains in acceleration)
Old 10-16-2015, 08:31 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 590 Likes on 260 Posts

We are all entitled to our own opinion; at the end of the day, it's not a turbo and anyone will tell you that's par for the course for a naturally aspirated motor's improvement. I ask that you please not continue this further though as you're deep in a thread posted by a forum sponsor and while you're entitled to your own opinion, you're not supposed to jump on and bash products offered by forums sponsors.

If you want to start a thread titled "Naturally Aspirated Motors and How It Frustrates Me That They Cost So Much to Mod," go for it. Diminishing returns but let's leave it at that without taking shots at peoples' intelligence over $. You're all in a forum for one of the most anticipated and hard to acquire $100K cars ever; none of your are stupid with your $.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 10-16-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:48 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Hi John@BGB,

May I ask what type of collector is being used for the LT headers? They also look to be equal length.?
-They look fantastic & well made.

Cars are bad investments, and there are likely only negative returns when the mod bug hits (beyond the massive grin).. Especially when we are talking about NA motors. -but it's worse than heroin.. so we all give in eventually..

sub'd for more!
Old 10-16-2015, 10:42 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Yes, welcome to the club of being financially smart. You probably are not too good of financial investor yourself, I surmise. 10K for 30 horses... hahhaha.

A foole & his money,
be soone at debate:
which after with sorow,
repents him to late.

BTW, I actually don't care how each of us spend our money, I was saying money can be better spent on things this car needs more attention to. That's all. So this will be my last post on this thread. Good luck, but again 10K for 30 horses.... hahhaha, are you going to be faster for a 0.05 seconds from zero to 60? hahhaha.
Just how old are you? I'm not sure I see the need for any attacks - I certainly was not attacking you. I was pointing out that people will pay a lot for incremental gains - hell the RS is how many dollars more than a normal 3, and yet you get virtually no gains on the track - people call it the best car Porsche has built to date. As to my financial investment prowess...how many GT cars do you own?

I'm super happy to see BGB push things here, and I'll be buying soon.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:47 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

So this will be my last post on this thread.
This.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:23 AM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

In all honesty, I would rather invest something like a front lift
Old 10-16-2015, 12:44 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Hi John@BGB,

May I ask what type of collector is being used for the LT headers? They also look to be equal length.?
-They look fantastic & well made.

Cars are bad investments, and there are likely only negative returns when the mod bug hits (beyond the massive grin).. Especially when we are talking about NA motors. -but it's worse than heroin.. so we all give in eventually..

sub'd for more!
Thanks! While the manifolds at first glance may look to be equal length, the driver's side bank is a tad longer than the passenger side. They're rated as being a 2" primary with a 2.5" secondary. The OD for the primaries start out a tick larger and then shrink down a bit before the collector and then go to 2.5". When we raced the first DFI Caymans in 2010 at Daytona we blew the O2 sensor right out of the collector. Cargraphic revised everything for us, moved the O2 sensor to a better location and changed the collector to that of a slip fit, spring clamp design. At 8150 RPM we were spinning the motors higher than ever and the vibrations and harmonics were stressing everything so they even reinforced the O2 bungs with supports. I hope this helps!

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I live in Nevada which doesn't have the People Republic of California smog rules, besides I don't like following rules and don't care what my neighbors think. What's the pricing for non-cat Cargraphic headers?
HA HA! I love it! They're $2194.50 plus it's typically $125 - $175 to get them to your door via FedEx once they're complete. They have been selling though so i think the earliest i could put them in your hands would be 3 weeks or about 1.5 weeks after Halloween.

John

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 10-16-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:17 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, welcome to the club of being financially smart. You probably are not too good of financial investor yourself, I surmise. 10K for 30 horses... hahhaha.

A foole & his money,
be soone at debate:
which after with sorow,
repents him to late.

BTW, I actually don't care how each of us spend our money, I was saying money can be better spent on things this car needs more attention to. That's all. So this will be my last post on this thread. Good luck, but again 10K for 30 horses.... hahhaha, are you going to be faster for a 0.05 seconds from zero to 60? hahhaha.

Money ain't a thang Some people like to mod and have fun. Can't take money to the grave with you. Enjoy life.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:36 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
We are all entitled to our own opinion; at the end of the day, it's not a turbo and anyone will tell you that's par for the course for a naturally aspirated motor's improvement. I ask that you please not continue this further though as you're deep in a thread posted by a forum sponsor and while you're entitled to your own opinion, you're not supposed to jump on and bash products offered by forums sponsors.

If you want to start a thread titled "Naturally Aspirated Motors and How It Frustrates Me That They Cost So Much to Mod," go for it. Diminishing returns but let's leave it at that without taking shots at peoples' intelligence over $. You're all in a forum for one of the most anticipated and hard to acquire $100K cars ever; none of your are stupid with your $.
This.

BGB - thank you for your support of this site and all the knowledge and experience you bring.

I do live in the People's Republic of California so I'm not likely to make some of the mod's being discussed here but I, for one, really appreciate the fact that you guys are doing this and sharing it with the rest of us.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:57 AM
BRNGT4
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

The tuner in Germany won't let me release the dyno graph but it's north of 425 at the crank with the race manifolds and all bolts-on in the form of Stage I hardware. The only OE intake/exhaust part in the mix is the stock PSE muffler. As far as max potential, having discussed what they found in the OE firmware, it's safe to assume at this point that the car in race trim running race gas, lightweight flywheel, pulleys, race headers, race mufflers and the larger 82mm intake setup with filters can get just under 450HP @ the crank. It was my intention to make 455HP with all that stuff AND the x51 Power Kit heads so I think we can exceed my original expectations. The first go around though will be without the x51 and with full Stage I parts and gearing to see if everything is happy with electronics so I can report back to everyone.
Great to see you guys working on the GT4 and starting the quest to unleash the held back horsepower the car well deserves.

Having driving my GT4 on a few track days I can tell you that 40hp would be a blessing. I am very interested in what you wrote regarding what was found in the OE Firmware. If not a detailed answer, can we get a yes or no to the following "Is the OEM tune artificially restricting the HP of the car?"
Old 10-17-2015, 11:40 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BRNGT4
Great to see you guys working on the GT4 and starting the quest to unleash the held back horsepower the car well deserves. Having driving my GT4 on a few track days I can tell you that 40hp would be a blessing. I am very interested in what you wrote regarding what was found in the OE Firmware. If not a detailed answer, can we get a yes or no to the following "Is the OEM tune artificially restricting the HP of the car?"
It is not restricted by any means and it is in fact more aggressive than the 991 3.8L mapping. The car dynos at or better than factory estimated crank horsepower.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is not restricted by any means and it is in fact more aggressive than the 991 3.8L mapping. The car dynos at or better than factory estimated crank horsepower.
That's great to hear John thanks for sharing, been waiting to hear confirmation like this to back up what Andreas said about the GT4's engine making 385 all day long @ elevation and high temps.

And thanks for sharing so much of your knowledge and info on the GT4 (and Cayman platform in general) with all of us. I wish I was local so I could give you my track setup business.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:46 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

A foole & his money,
be soone at debate:
which after with sorow,
repents him to late.

So many assumptions, I give your post two thumbs down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!