Sponsored by: APR

New Options on Configurator

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:49 PM
sliollio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Options on Configurator

Was just going over my configuration for the 108349820934th time and noticed Porsche has added a few new options. Paint to Sample, Lithium Ion Battery, 12-o'clock marking in yellow (which I just added to my build). That was all that I noticed but there could be more. Just figured I'd give y'all a heads up in case y'all haven't checked it in a while.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:25 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Still no reversing camera. That and maybe axle lift are the two things I'd really like to have. I understand the latter would likely not be cost-effective to offer, but the camera would be easy. They have this option on the Spyder without the parking sensors (which I'd prefer not to have anyway) in order to avoid having to produce additional variants of the front and rear bumpers, so I can't understand why the GT4 with its huge rear wing wouldn't get the same option.

A weight reduction of 13.5 kg (30 lbs) is pretty impressive on a car battery though, wow. Wouldn't pay $2300 for it though -- I wonder what it would cost if you weren't also buying the standard battery as seems to be the case. Maybe I'll get one aftermarket at replacement time.

12 o-clock marking in yellow isn't available with the leather steering wheel option, fwiw. Meh, not planning to do opposite lock drifting and not crazy about yellow anyway, definitely not enough to spend $325 and go with Alcantara rather than leather.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:26 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Edit: Nevermind...$2300 for the battery? I'm not missing out there. I can buy a Shorai LiFe for 10% of that cost.

Is this typical or are they trying to add some enticing stuff to lure the folks waiting for LWBs?

Also... I wonder if their curb weight figure is with or without the Li-Ion battery?
Old 06-22-2015, 09:04 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
Edit: Nevermind...$2300 for the battery? I'm not missing out there. I can buy a Shorai LiFe for 10% of that cost.

Is this typical or are they trying to add some enticing stuff to lure the folks waiting for LWBs?

Also... I wonder if their curb weight figure is with or without the Li-Ion battery?
The Shorai batteries only seem to be designed for ATVs and sport bikes -- or am I missing something?

GT4 weight is measured almost certainly without the Li-Ion battery. Standards for measuring curb weight vary from region to region, but from what I remember reading, all of them specify that curb weight is to be measured either using the standard options on the car or with options that a significant majority of customers would be expected to select, and this battery wouldn't fit either of those classifications.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:17 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
The Shorai batteries only seem to be designed for ATVs and sport bikes -- or am I missing something?

GT4 weight is measured almost certainly without the Li-Ion battery. Standards for measuring curb weight vary from region to region, but from what I remember reading, all of them specify that curb weight is to be measured either using the standard options on the car or with options that a significant majority of customers would be expected to select, and this battery wouldn't fit either of those classifications.
The Shorai batteries are primarily powersports batteries but using lightweight and small powersports batteries is the oldest battery weight savings trick in the book. I ran their smallest battery at under 2 lbs in my S2000 for a while. You can't sit in the car with the radio on with that one or you'll kill it but with their higher CCA models you could still save a huge amount of weight and get somewhat closer to daily driver CCAs.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:22 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting that they're adding options when most builds are already locked in. If I were a betting man, I'd guess that means they'll have a second model year...
Old 06-22-2015, 09:46 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Interesting that they're adding options when most builds are already locked in. If I were a betting man, I'd guess that means they'll have a second model year...
Yep, bummer for most. My build was moved up 2 months and locked on May 27th. Bummer. I would have considered petrol blue metallic

Old 06-22-2015, 10:04 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 22 Posts

Glad these showed up after I'm locked. I probably would've checked that $325 yellow marker box. PTS option was on Cayman configurators before, but doesn't mean you'll get an allocation for one if you ordered it.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:26 PM
sliollio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Yea I emailed my SA because my build wasn't supposed to lock until July 2nd to add the steering wheel option and she emailed me back apologizing and saying my build had already locked and arrival was moved from late October to mid September. Happy about the early arrival but can't believe she didn't call/email me before my build locked. I would have liked to have gone over everything one final time in person
Old 06-22-2015, 11:34 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lock in 6 days, 1 hour and 30 minutes. NOT going to be an easy time for me and I was so determined to stick with my 'special' color choice. Hopefully I'll lock early!
Old 06-22-2015, 11:38 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mine locked a week and a half ago, expecting late September delivery. I am praying that LWBs become available during the build process. I have a change order in place should that happen... It's the only thing missing.

If PTS were available, I'd have considered one of the classic greens (Aventurine or Granite) or a classic blue (Petrol is a good one).
Old 06-22-2015, 11:39 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Looks like so many people have jumped on the configurator you can't get on! Everyone wants to see the new options!
Old 06-22-2015, 11:48 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

12 o clock wheel option is only available at the end of September according to my SA.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:52 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Cars often lock early and the SA won't know it until they check..

Porsche did this with the GT3, LWBS were a very late option and they even added the black LEDs after everyones cars were locked. Only the ~200 2016 models were able to spec it
Old 06-23-2015, 12:22 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

My build locked yesterday. Probably just as well.

Quick Reply: New Options on Configurator